CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Changing Rear Struts on CT 200h

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 11:00 PM
tecz0r
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Rear Struts on CT 200h

Hi everyone, new to the community and would greatly appreciate some insight.

Have about 68K miles on my vehicle and drive it at least an hour a day to and from work. Turns out, the rear struts are leaking.

Has anyone here changed the rear struts on their CT200h by themselves? Is it a difficult job? I have all the mechanic tools I would need as I've done brake pad and rotors on my older Ford but I'm trying to figure out if its worth tackling the job on the Lexus to save money.

Took it to a repair shop (Firestone) about a week ago to received an estimate. They said the repair would cost $748. I don't doubt that this is a fair price but I'd prefer to save money if the job isn't too complicated.

Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone!
Old 12-13-16, 05:39 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

save yourself the $700, its pretty simple /straight forward. i used this as a guide for my rear springs install:

http://www.flushstance.com/lexus-ct200h-coilover-install/
Old 12-13-16, 06:35 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

You need to rent or borrow a spring compressor. If you have not done struts before, watch some youtube videos as the compressed spring is very dangerous if it gets loose while compressed! You usually need an alignment afterward as it is almost impossible to get everything back in the exact same position. I recommend you have an experienced friend help with this project.
The rear suspension is very similar to the Corolla and most struts are similar in replacement procedure. However fronts and rears are a bit different at the top.

Last edited by Clutchless; 12-13-16 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-13-16, 08:41 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Wow, already bad rear struts at 68k miles???

I don't suppose the original Lexus warranty will cover this? Any TSB out for this?

Wonder how much the struts parts cost?

Originally Posted by tecz0r
Hi everyone, new to the community and would greatly appreciate some insight.

Have about 68K miles on my vehicle and drive it at least an hour a day to and from work. Turns out, the rear struts are leaking.

Has anyone here changed the rear struts on their CT200h by themselves? Is it a difficult job? I have all the mechanic tools I would need as I've done brake pad and rotors on my older Ford but I'm trying to figure out if its worth tackling the job on the Lexus to save money.

Took it to a repair shop (Firestone) about a week ago to received an estimate. They said the repair would cost $748. I don't doubt that this is a fair price but I'd prefer to save money if the job isn't too complicated.

Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone!
Old 12-14-16, 04:33 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

If your rears are like mine in my 4 runner, previa, c70 or my many other cars I have changed them in.

It should be just a nut on top that gets unbolted. A nut on the bottom that it slides off a threaded stud and drops out the bottom.

Only thing to look out for is the new strut is pressurized, so once you release the retaining strap it will extend. You will probably have the rear suspension already dropped down extending the length of the strut do it should not be a problem. Its nothing that a floor jack could not handle. I would typically put the top nut in threaded to hold it in place. Then either pull the suspension down to get the bottom on or use a floor jack to compress the strut.

Alignment is not necessary, on any one of my vehicles when doing the rear. Even when I lifted my previa 6 inches in the rear with taller springs from a 64 mustang.

First hand experience on my CT? No I'm sorry I don't have it, mine is going to break 60 k this holiday break. So it has not needed any repairs yet. From a quick eBay search on rear struts, they look like every one I have done I previous vehicles and never needed a spring compressor fit just changing out the shocks.
Old 12-14-16, 05:24 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

+1 on NOT needing spring compressors.... that is something only needed when doing the fronts. the rear springs are separate from the struts
Old 12-14-16, 06:32 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

If the springs are separate from the struts, then they are shocks, not struts and the job is a piece of cake and no alignment is needed. Having traded in my CT 2 years ago I did not recall what the rear suspension looked like. I just replaced the rear shocks on my RX and it has the same set up. No alignment is needed and I did both in less than an hour at home in my garage with a floor jack.

Struts are the term when the shock/strut part is inside the spring and the spring is under compression. This design was developed to save space and weight. However struts are usually taller than a separate spring and shock set up.

Shocks are the term when they are separate from the springs. Toyota/Lexus went to this in the rear because the suspension height was lower and made more room in the rear cargo area.

http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...cks_and_struts

Last edited by Clutchless; 12-14-16 at 06:38 AM.