CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Clicking while braking

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 06:55 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

You going to buy a OEM used axle? From reading on the forum, loads of people put thousands of miles on their CT with zero issues. That's why I think a used one still might be the way to go VS a cheap"new" China one.
Old 11-05-16, 07:45 AM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, still got a good bit of drivetrain warranty left so if it ends up being the axle it should be covered still.

Originally Posted by gshadow325
You going to buy a OEM used axle? From reading on the forum, loads of people put thousands of miles on their CT with zero issues. That's why I think a used one still might be the way to go VS a cheap"new" China one.
Old 11-06-16, 06:57 AM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

Got the car up on a lift last night. When you spin the wheels I can sort of detect the same noise coming from the drivers side area of where the axle goes into the transmission. Also seems like a tiny bit more play on the drivers side inner cv joint versus the passenger. But nothing obvious.

I have the toyota techstream program and cable on my laptop at work (from when I programmed my credit card key) , going to see if there is any sort of actuator test on it to see if the solenoid clicking is the same clicking I've been hearing. But it'll be tomorrow before I'll be at work.
Old 11-07-16, 03:12 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Off topic but, where did you get the credit card key and get it cheap? Right now mine is always in my car. I have a alarm remote starter installed with a 2 way starter kill that allows me to kill the push to start button. So if the alarm is disarmed you can start the car. If it's armed you can't, or if you arm it while the car is running you can still turn it off but no restart.
Old 11-07-16, 04:59 AM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

Got mine off of eBay. seller is sslexusparts. Paid around $230 iirc so wasn't "cheap" but I put it in my phone case so as long as my phone is on me I'm good to go. If you decide to get one message me because there's a couple different ones depending on the FCC number on your current key fob. Took me two different card part numbers before I got the right one.

I still need to order the metal backup key that goes inside the card. But for now I just carry a spare battery in my wallet.
Old 11-08-16, 09:41 AM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

Got a call back from Lexus today .. Even if my car was certified or brand new Lexus warranties DO NOT cover noise issues. Only cover parts failing completely.

So he pretty much said put up with the noise. There is no extended warranty on the CT brake actuators like the LS and Prius models "yet" but he said they are aware of many complaints about clicking noises.

Asked if they'll do anything once something finally fails and he said "we deal with cases as they are presented to us" and that my complaint is logged in their computer so I guess if anything ever finally fails it will show it started failing at 31k miles.

If anyone else gets a resolution to this clicking noise other than "deal with it", "too bad we dont fix noises", or "wait til something fails" let me know.

Also if anyone else gets an axle replaced and that fixed the clicking post about it on here.
Old 11-09-16, 06:32 PM
motorhead
Driver School Candidate

I picked my car up Monday and was told that it's normal and they don't see anything wrong with it. The advisor told me the tech compared it to 2 other CT's on the lot and they both did it too. Said they made the clicking noise turning in both directions. Of course I couldn't ask the tech if he drove new ones or used ones because he wasn't there. I left my number for a call back but that hasn't happened. Funny thing is now that I have my car back it has started to make the clicking noise when turning to the left now too. Looks like I need to make a call to Lexus to make sure my issue is logged. Whats the number you called Adrian?
Old 11-09-16, 07:39 PM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

Lexus Customer Service - 1-800-255-3987

Press 3 for "you know your parties extension or are working with someone" .. seems like the amount of time you stay on hold is not long at all compared to pressing 5 or whatever the option is for "tell us about your experience" .. that option takes foooorever to finally get a hold of someone and its the same person as option 3

They will open a "case" then the case manager will eventually say "sorry lexus doesnt fix noises" .. then if you escalate the case to the case managers supervisor they will call eventually and say "yea we get these complaints, we dont fix noises, I can connect you to the warranty underwriting department to explain it to you" and "call back when something actually breaks then we'll deal with you"

Originally Posted by motorhead
I picked my car up Monday and was told that it's normal and they don't see anything wrong with it. The advisor told me the tech compared it to 2 other CT's on the lot and they both did it too. Said they made the clicking noise turning in both directions. Of course I couldn't ask the tech if he drove new ones or used ones because he wasn't there. I left my number for a call back but that hasn't happened. Funny thing is now that I have my car back it has started to make the clicking noise when turning to the left now too. Looks like I need to make a call to Lexus to make sure my issue is logged. Whats the number you called Adrian?
Old 11-11-16, 08:15 PM
8901alex
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 16 ct fsport and I had the same clicking noise I tape the noise because the car wasn't making the noise all the time so I took in they finally fix it they told me it was a problem with the emergency brakes I being driving the since no noise I will take a pic of the paperwork also and posted it and the video if I can......
Old 11-16-16, 05:24 PM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 8901alex
I have 16 ct fsport and I had the same clicking noise I tape the noise because the car wasn't making the noise all the time so I took in they finally fix it they told me it was a problem with the emergency brakes I being driving the since no noise I will take a pic of the paperwork also and posted it and the video if I can......

yea if you could post the paperwork that would be helpful, just block out any personal information.

I noticed my clicking has been getting louder and has even started to do it while slowly accelerating up a slight incline (parking deck at work). So I now get the clicking while not even touching the brakes. I emailed the service manager asking him if the brake actuator has any function or does anything without touching the brakes because if it doesnt then my issue might not be the actuator.

this video is slowly accelerating up a parking deck ramp without using the brakes .. same clicking sound I get every time I brake at speeds under about 20mph

Old 01-15-17, 07:21 PM
gabetoyo
Driver School Candidate

My ct did the same clicking noise while braking. Took it in to the dealer and they kept it for 5 days. They couldnt duplicate the noise so i went over and drove with their Master certified tech and as soon i drove the car in the dealer parking lot i heard it and told him "thats the noise" and he said "oh now its doing it". 2 days later they call me and tell me they had replaced the drivers side sheel bearing and hub bit the noise was still their. Finally they replaced the drivers side axle and noise finally went away. That was 2 months ago. Im hearing the noise again. Gonna take it in on wed. Oh and im also hearing the brake actuator making noise...
Old 01-25-17, 04:10 PM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gabetoyo
My ct did the same clicking noise while braking. Took it in to the dealer and they kept it for 5 days. They couldnt duplicate the noise so i went over and drove with their Master certified tech and as soon i drove the car in the dealer parking lot i heard it and told him "thats the noise" and he said "oh now its doing it". 2 days later they call me and tell me they had replaced the drivers side sheel bearing and hub bit the noise was still their. Finally they replaced the drivers side axle and noise finally went away. That was 2 months ago. Im hearing the noise again. Gonna take it in on wed. Oh and im also hearing the brake actuator making noise...
Thats crazy how some dealers actually try and fix the noise under warranty, yet my dealer and lexus tell me "sorry our warranty doesnt cover noise". Maybe I need to call lexus again and keep going up the ladder to get a different dealer to diagnose it.
Old 01-26-17, 11:50 PM
gabetoyo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AdriansCT
Thats crazy how some dealers actually try and fix the noise under warranty, yet my dealer and lexus tell me "sorry our warranty doesnt cover noise". Maybe I need to call lexus again and keep going up the ladder to get a different dealer to diagnose it.
Why wouldnt they fix it? If a car is under warranty and its making noise, a noise that is not supposed to be their, then it needs to get fixed. Im a certified master technician for toyota. If car comes in regardless if the car is under warranty or not, and its making a weird noise, clicking, thumping, whatever noise it will get diagnosed and fixed if their is a problem. Warranty guesy doesnt pay for anything. If its out of warranty then its the guest choice if they want it fixed or not.
Old 01-26-17, 11:56 PM
gabetoyo
Driver School Candidate

I took my ct in on Wed and i drove with their Master technician. He said he can barely hear the noise. So i drove the car and the noise was their. I told him they had just replaced the drivers side axle about 3 months ago. He said it wasnt really loud like it was the last time. We get back to the dealer and he saw that my car was dropped. He said it might be cus of that. So they kept the car for further inspection. Thursday i get a call from the service writer saying that they had contacted their FTS and lexus and will get a further inspection from their higher up tech. Late thursday right before they closed the service writer calls me saying that they have the drivers side axle on order and will give me a call when the car is ready to be picked up.