CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Clicking while braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-16, 12:15 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Brake actuators are being replaced for free on LS460's. Lexus has extended the warranties extensively on them. 10 years or 150k miles. Contact Lexus corporate and see if they are doing the same for CT's.
Old 10-30-16, 07:56 PM
motorhead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really glad I got on and saw this tonight. I have been hearing the same thing on my 15. Fast clicking when braking at less than 20mph but only when the wheel is to the right at any degree. No clicking when braking straight or to the left. I had it in at 20k service and they said they didn't hear it. it seems to have gotten a lil louder lately and now that I have this I will have some knowledge for them.
Old 11-02-16, 04:32 PM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

Lexus called tonight after two weeks and not much communication from Lexus customer service and NO call from the dealer.

They will not certify my car and they will not fix the clicking noise. They also told me that even if the car was certified they still would not fix the clicking noise because it is a noise and nothing has broken yet.

Filed a complaint with the BBB, left a voicemail with the dealership GM, and also left a review on google for the dalership. Will update if I get anywhere with anyone.
Old 11-03-16, 10:10 AM
motorhead
Driver School Candidate

Dropped mine off 2 days ago. Took one of the techs on a ride with me so that he could hear it. I told him it sounded like a plastic piece clicking over bike wheel spokes or when you spin a wheel to win a prize. Once he heard it he completely agreed on my description. i told him about this post and he said they would look into it. I'll update with the diagnosis.
Old 11-03-16, 10:18 AM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

I'm at dealership now arguing .. both service manager and Lexus said they do not fix noise issues

service manager even has a certified ct200h with clicking noise that Lexus won't fix

yet Ronswanson got all his work done under warranty for a "noise"
Old 11-03-16, 10:42 AM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by motorhead
Dropped mine off 2 days ago. Took one of the techs on a ride with me so that he could hear it. I told him it sounded like a plastic piece clicking over bike wheel spokes or when you spin a wheel to win a prize. Once he heard it he completely agreed on my description. i told him about this post and he said they would look into it. I'll update with the diagnosis.
Lol, that's a good analogy. Hopefully, they go straight for the axle replacement rather than fuss w/ the brake actuator.

Originally Posted by AdriansCT
I'm at dealership now arguing .. both service manager and Lexus said they do not fix noise issues

service manager even has a certified ct200h with clicking noise that Lexus won't fix

yet Ronswanson got all his work done under warranty for a "noise"
Arguing with a dealership that has that kind of customer service seems pointless. Why not try another dealership and see if they are more willing to help you? Like I mentioned before, I initially went to another dealership to try to resolve the clicking issue, but they weren't able to fix it, so I tried Newport Lexus (twice) and they were able to fix it the second time around. Also note that I have the extended warranty; although I'm not entirely sure that would make any difference in this case.

Another thing you could do is file a civil suit since obviously this is a prevalent issue with the CT model which could possibly warrant a recall.
Old 11-03-16, 10:52 AM
motorhead
Driver School Candidate

How in the hell are they going to say they don't fix noise issues? WHAT is making the noise? It's clearly not supposed to do that. That's a bunch of BS.
Old 11-03-16, 10:54 AM
motorhead
Driver School Candidate

Hey Ron. If it were the axle though wouldn't it do it even if I wasn't braking. It only does it with the wheels turned to the right and only when pressing the brakes.
Old 11-03-16, 11:19 AM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Ron. If it were the axle though wouldn't it do it even if I wasn't braking. It only does it with the wheels turned to the right and only when pressing the brakes.
I really don't know much about car mechanics, so I can't say. I just know your prize spin wheel analogy brought the annoying braking sound back in my mind, so it would seem the origin of the noise could be from the same part for both of our cars. I just posted the invoices as a possible guide for not only for other members, but also for the mechanics who are looking into the issue since there was a lot of confusion about how to fix the noise.

Keep us updated w/ your car status.
Old 11-03-16, 06:37 PM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

I showed them the invoices for the two actuators and an axle .. nalley Lexus Roswell did not want to even look at them

asked them how they diagnosed the brake actuator .. they said a solenoid inside the part clicks and that it isn't a failure so Lexus will not fix it.

If I can this weekend I may call your Lexus dealer and ask how they diagnosed the axle and put my car on a lift to try and see if it is the axle. If it is I will take it to another dealer to get it fixed under drivetrain warranty

I have filed bbb complaint against the dealer, left bad reviews online, escalated my case with Lexus to the supervisor above the case manager, and emailed the general manager of Lexus corporate about being told "even if you buy a new Lexus we still wouldn't fix it because it's a noise problem"

im out of warranty on time but still only have 38k miles on the car, had 31k when I bought it and have had the clicking the entire time

As for the dealership I ended up getting into an argument with the sales manager over numbers and pretty much got told to leave and there's nothing they can do for me at all

How in the hell are they going to say they don't fix noise issues? WHAT is making the noise? It's clearly not supposed to do that. That's a bunch of BS.
Old 11-03-16, 10:57 PM
qwerty66
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Axle spline clicking is pretty common
Especially on rx350s
Either replace the axle or try removing axle from hub side, lube up the splines with antiseize and re install and torque up with new nut, works sometimes
Old 11-04-16, 11:43 AM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

I called Newport Lexus .. the guy I talked to said he has seen both actuators and axles responsible for clicking on the ct200h and there's not really a good way to diagnose the axle by putting the car on a lift and inspecting it manually. Mentioned some type of noise tool they use.

Told him about Lexus and my dealer telling me they do not fix noise issues. He said that's not true if the car is under warranty they will fix it. He recommended I take it to another Lexus dealer for a second opinion.

Still awaiting a call from Lexus today from a supervisor above the case manager that said they do not fix noises. If I can't get anywhere I'm going to atleast push for them to get another dealer to diagnose the car and rule out the axle since it's still under warranty.

Only other option I got is to pay $150 or whatever the other Lexus dealer charges to diagnose to get told I need a $3450 actuator to stop the clicking.
Old 11-05-16, 02:14 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Nally Lexus is a commission based service facility. The writers there are not on salary, it is in their best interest to sell you work. You don't pay they don't get paid(commission).

So you got the tail light warranty. If it's an axle, how much can it cost to replace it? 200? 500? Might be better off doing that and giving the middle finger to Nally. I'd find all the social media outlets and give your opinion. Yelp, and Google are two big ones. Facebook is also a nice one.
Old 11-05-16, 02:17 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Uh never mind, I see you left them reviews already. Lol, looking them up all I see are loads of evil reviews. I guess they don't care much about their online presence.
Old 11-05-16, 06:41 AM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

Yea nalley doesn't care. The general manager shuffled me around from manager to manager between service and sales the other day for about 3 hours . He pretty much just got everyone at the dealer to say too bad Lexus doesn't fix noises or too bad you signed the papers and bought the car. Service manager even told me I should have bought an extended warranty right after telling me a warranty wouldn't cover the brake actuator noise hahaha

I'm fairly sure Nalley doesn't want me coming back for anything which is fine.

Im going to put the car up on a lift tonight and see if I can detect anything with the driver side axle at all.

Lexus customer service called last night and said the supervisor is out of the office and will be out Monday so it will be Tuesday until they call me next.

My car car is still under drivetrain warranty. I'm also very mechanically inclined so if worse comes to worse eventually I put in another actuator once this one fails. They seem to be on eBay for about $200-500.

But from what i have I have seen on forums for the Lexus LS460 and some Prius models is they extended the brake actuator warranty and replace them "if it throws a code or light". Lexus / Toyota will not fix because of clicking. So I may just end up having to just have the radio on and deal with the noise if it actually is the actuator.

Originally Posted by gshadow325
Uh never mind, I see you left them reviews already. Lol, looking them up all I see are loads of evil reviews. I guess they don't care much about their online presence.

Quick Reply: Clicking while braking