CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Weird "squaking" noise when braking hard

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-16, 04:11 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Weird "squaking" noise when braking hard

Anyone heard of a similar issue or experienced this? Over the last several weeks, there is an occasional squaking noise (best description I can summon). The noise seems to be coming from the drivers side front and perhaps under the dashboard area.
Old 10-13-16, 11:50 AM
SteveMason
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmmm, I have never heard a noise like that but by the location of the sound, that is the exact place where the brake fluid reservoir and master cylinder are.
Old 10-13-16, 03:29 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Anyone heard of a similar issue or experienced this? Over the last several weeks, there is an occasional squaking noise (best description I can summon). The noise seems to be coming from the drivers side front and perhaps under the dashboard area.
Have you checked under the dashboard or even taken a look at the brakes?
Old 10-13-16, 11:53 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Is it the ABS kicking in since you are braking hard?
Old 10-15-16, 08:26 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Based on some googling it seems that the problem may be the brake reservoir/master cylinder. Some described it as a "farting" noise, and that's about right. The sound is definitely coming from that general direction. As for ABS, it almost sounds like the noise an ABS module makes when engaged, but the ABS are not coming on, as Im not applying the brakes quite that hard.
Old 10-17-16, 07:18 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

Still under warranty? Let the dealer worry about it. Some have had issues with the very expensive brake modulator. Have you ever had your brake fluid flushed? You could just have air in the system from aging fluid that has absorbed water. Flushing the brakes thoroughly to get all the components requires a shop that has Techstream software to do it properly. I flush brakes on my other vehicle, but the hybrid I leave to the pros.
Old 10-18-16, 10:41 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Brake fluid flush was done by the dealer in March. Not sure about warranty as the car is now 4 years old and 25k miles. I know on the LS460, Lexus has extended the warranty on the brake actuator, but not sure about the CT. No trouble lights. I'm growing pretty certain that the culprit is indeed the brake actuator. I may just wait to see if the issue worsens. Brake performance hasn't changed....still stops on a dime, albeit with a "fart" noise.

Last edited by roadfrog; 01-11-18 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-19-16, 06:55 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts
Default warranty

I think the actuator is covered under the basic 48 month - 50,000 mile warranty. (Unless Canadian warranties are different from US warranties) Since the dealer did a brake flush recently, you have a service history and relationship with them and they know it was properly maintained. This will buy you some goodwill if you are now out of warranty due to time. I would take it back to them ASAP and tell them what is happening and that you are shocked this has occurred on a low mileage, properly maintained Lexus. If out of warranty, ask for some goodwill and demand Lexus pay for it. They may counter offer with a discount of some kind. Ask to speak to Lexus Corporate about getting them to cover it. You have nothing to lose by asking.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CTh_WSG.pdf (959.2 KB, 681 views)
Old 10-19-16, 09:27 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Spoke with Lexus yesterday and they advised that my warranty expired in July (of course..lol). I may just wait and see what transpires with it and see if it gets worse. Worst case scenario I figure is replacing the actuator. There's quite a few of them on Ebay for about 350 bucks. Im a DIY'er, so I can do it myself for about the cost of driving to the dealer (an hour away), diagnosis, hassle etc.
Old 10-20-16, 06:27 PM
GS_Louis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as a heads up you'll need techstream to bleed your brakes if you do decide to replace it yourself. If I were you I'd attempt to bleed via techstream first before spending money on parts. Usually dealer brake flushes don't deal with actuator bleeding or stroke solenoid bleeding, so it may be possible there is an air pocket in the ABS actuator that may be able to be bled out.
Old 10-21-16, 09:15 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS_Louis
Just as a heads up you'll need techstream to bleed your brakes if you do decide to replace it yourself. If I were you I'd attempt to bleed via techstream first before spending money on parts. Usually dealer brake flushes don't deal with actuator bleeding or stroke solenoid bleeding, so it may be possible there is an air pocket in the ABS actuator that may be able to be bled out.
Thanks! Yes, I know about Techstream requirement. It's the same as with my LS.....although members there, say that you can bleed if you disconnect the battery. I don't bother doing the bleeds myself as it just isnt worth the hassle when my dealer only charges 79 bucks. Perhaps I'll take the CT back to the dealer and have them re-do the flush.
Old 11-14-23, 02:47 PM
Mirando411
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Thanks! Yes, I know about Techstream requirement. It's the same as with my LS.....although members there, say that you can bleed if you disconnect the battery. I don't bother doing the bleeds myself as it just isnt worth the hassle when my dealer only charges 79 bucks. Perhaps I'll take the CT back to the dealer and have them re-do the flush.

Did you ever find out the source of the duck sounds? My Ct is experiencing the same issue. Squawking goose sounds when the brake pedal is pressed.