CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

F-Sport Sway Bar (blue) set -- any detailed experiences or knowledge?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-16, 01:31 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,564 Posts
Default F-Sport Sway Bar (blue) set -- any detailed experiences or knowledge?

Anyone install this? It shocks me at how little info there is on this car. Seems to be a very small if non-existent hardcore DIY enthusiast base.

Anyway I'm interested in the Genuine Lexus F-Sport sway bar set. It comes with a chassis reinforcement. Does anyone know if this reinforcement (a long blue plate) installs in place of something already existing? Or is it a completely new add on? If so what fasteners would I use? I assume if some are required, the kit will come with it.

Also what other reinforcements (underbody) have people installed. Are there provisions for more than one? (other than the factory ones) I see lots of them on eBay. How many provisions are there?

I also notice the bar has 3 holes on the end which appears to make it adjustable. Is this correct?

Any feedback on this set? Theres like three threads over the years about this but nobody comments in detail. Is this really that rare?

I'm not interested in anything aftermarket. I'm a fan of subtle and functional. My goals are simple. No extreme japanese style tuning. No slamming, no dropping, no stancing. No blacking stuff out. No noises. Just factory Lexus class with a improved handling!
Old 03-09-16, 02:33 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

hello, i'm guessing you came from an m3/e46?

youre right about the small number of diy enthusiasts ... not many out there.

youll notice in the comparison pic the oem sway has a bar attached to it... the blue "plate" takes over the old bar. you install it using existing oem hardware that it replaces.

and yes, the sways have adjustable holes. i for one went with the firmer settings ... why not?!

the sways do make a noticeable diff, the car turns much more predictable and feels more planted. if youve experienced sways in other cars... this is no different.
Old 03-14-16, 11:08 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yes BMW E46. Interesting. Appreciate the info and pics. I will probably end up getting those bars. I've had sway bars upgraded before but never adjustable. Did you go with the adjustment Lexus recommends? I assume by firmest setting, is that the hole closest to the bar?

You seem to be knowledgeable on this car. I bought extended studs but haven't went to install them yet. Can the studs be removed and installed without removing the hub from the car?

So far I had my buddy's shop install the front F-sport springs (I'm too old to work on cars now haha) but not the rears yet. (it started to rain and ran out of time) but I really like how the car sits with just the fronts installed. The front and rear gaps seem even. but it'll probably bug me not doing the rears. Do you or anyone know if the F Sport blue springs have different spring rates than the F sport black springs?

Surprising thing is no alignment needed. Car drives perfectly. Lexus even says in the F Sport spring install instructions that an alignment should not be necessary.

I know it's ideal but I'm not too concerned about ruining the stock Michelin tires.
Old 03-14-16, 02:02 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

i honestly dont know what lexus recommends, i went with the firmest because thats my pref.

per whiteline:
"softer setting when using hole farther away from the bushing.... stiffer setting when using hole closer to the bushing"

i havent attempted studs as of yet, according to another post i recently saw someone mentioned that the studs are easy to do because they are independent of the hub... perhaps try to pull up some online diagrams to verify this?

do the rears, its EASY. the fronts req a spring compressor, the rears are 10x easier to install and do not require a spring compressor. it took me like an hr solo to do the rears with simple hand tools on the driveway

the spring rates ... good question, i have no idea on that one. all i know is the blue ones lowered my car and feel alot nicer compared to the oem f sport "tuned" black springs. perhaps you could look up this info and share it with the rest of us.

i actually do my own alignments, and yeah oddly after the install my alignment was still in spec ... :shrug:. usually these kinds of installs throw SOMETHING off.... but after 60k on the odometer ive yet to see any abnormal toe/camber wear from my tires *knocks on wood*

if you want a simple way to check your alignment/toe:
(there are cheaper versions on ebay that do the same thing for less money)
Old 03-15-16, 08:38 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Great thanks for the info... yeah I've done several BMW suspensions in my day. Once changed an entire suspension of my M3 on all four corners in a bank of america parking lot.. lol. I just live in a place now where car work is frowned upon. So I try to keep it to quick jobs. The new place im moving to i have a private garage so i suppose i'll do the rear springs there. i've never felt good about spring compressors (suicide sticks). My buddy owed me some labor anyway so I had him do it. Free!

When you did your rears, did you follow Lexus instructions on loosing the inner control arm nut and re-torquing it? I suppose I'll find out if that's necessary once "i'm in there." I know the factory always has a lot of steps that are unnecessary. The loosening and retightening of the inner control arm nut makes sense though as you don't want to overload that inner bushing with the new lower ride height.
Old 03-15-16, 08:48 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

thats a random place to do an install... lol

its been a while (2+ yrs), small favor... could you link me to the diagram/instructions pdf to where you read that? pics may jog my memory. but if i had to shoot from the hip and answer.... im 99% sure i did loosen the inner control arm nut in order for the lower control arm to swing freely and allow for removal of the oem black spring.
Old 03-16-16, 12:55 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chargerfan
thats a random place to do an install... lol

its been a while (2+ yrs), small favor... could you link me to the diagram/instructions pdf to where you read that? pics may jog my memory. but if i had to shoot from the hip and answer.... im 99% sure i did loosen the inner control arm nut in order for the lower control arm to swing freely and allow for removal of the oem black spring.
The instructions were on a piece of paper Lexus provided with the springs. If you really need it I took a picture of it on my phone.
Old 03-24-16, 09:06 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My car has the blue F Sport springs and blue sway bars, came like that as added dealer options. Ive driven other stock F Sport with the standard stuff and it is a night and day difference. Highly recommend the sways, its much more fun to drive!
Old 03-24-16, 09:22 PM
twindc23
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might be my next upgrade =)
Old 03-24-16, 09:34 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-CT200H...-/130814131302

$450 shipped, not a bad price.
Old 03-24-16, 09:38 PM