CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

How long in EV mode

Old 12-29-15, 08:30 PM
bassamp
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long in EV mode

In bumper to bumper traffic I switched to EV mode. After a few miles, it automatically kicked out to eco mode, looking at a depleted battery display. This was my first time & wondering if it's normal for first time
Old 12-29-15, 10:50 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

In EV mode it typically last only about 1 mile after the battery is depleted before reverting to whatever mode you had last set, whether it's eco, normal or power.
Old 12-30-15, 07:53 AM
SteveMason
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just drive in Eco mode and try to keep the green "Ev light" on in the instrument cluster. As long as you keep your foot very very very light on the gas you can stay in pure Ev much longer and you can drive a bit faster than the useless 'Ev mode.'

You also have to turn the heat down and ac off as the engine will turn on more often.

When I get off the highway at night I can drive to my house which is 2.4km or 1.5miles away completely in EV. I have to take off very slow as it takes about half a mile just to get up to a somewhat normal speed on flat ground. I can only do it the whole distance at night because I find I have better results if I stay at about 20-25 m/h, (which pisses off other motorists in the day time,) but where there is a bit of a downwards slope I can get up to 40m/h. It reminds me of riding a bike because even the slightest slope that you don't notice in normal driving, you notice!

Last edited by SteveMason; 12-31-15 at 03:02 AM.
Old 01-01-16, 12:25 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 121 Posts

I recall reading that the battery in the Prius (same as the CT's) will do 1.6 miles max.
Old 01-02-16, 06:14 AM
Infected
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For whatever reason, Toyota decided to make this ev button almost pointless.

The 04-09 North American Prius' didn't come with the ev button, however everything was there to add it. So I made mine turn on by holding the cruise control cancel button for 5 seconds.
It worked very well. Would let you go up to 25 mph, would let you enter ev mode when you first power the car up. And could go a fair distance on it.

But, the CTs is useless.
Won't let you power the car up and enter it as it wants to warm it up (unless it's warm outside or the car was just parked).
I always get "excessive speed" when going slow in parking lots (kicks out at about 12 mph).
And the distance is much less.

I'm glad I didn't pay extra for it, or take the time to do a install to add it, because it would be a total waste of money and time.
Old 02-11-16, 04:02 AM
Antaeus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Living in Athens Greece I am lucky to get 0.6-0.8km max, if the engine is warmed up, in EV mode. Greek drivers typically go insane if anyone in front of them is driving slowly, so its rare I can get to the full range before someone tries to ram me because of slow speed. Lexus should do better next time...at least with rear "I am in EV mode so don't honk" displays or something more Bond-like, reverse firing nail dispensers... .
Old 02-17-16, 11:14 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Infected
But, the CTs is useless.
Won't let you power the car up and enter it as it wants to warm it up (unless it's warm outside or the car was just parked).
I always get "excessive speed" when going slow in parking lots (kicks out at about 12 mph).
I had a CT loaner and the button actually worked out alright. If you want useless, try the RX450h. I drove mine 280 miles straight, got into a parking lot, turned off the car then on again (within 10 seconds). The darn engine fired up and the EV button ceased to do anything. It's so unpredictable, but at least the CT went into EV mode 80% of the time.

Last edited by GSteg; 02-18-16 at 05:33 AM.
Old 02-17-16, 10:51 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Infected
For whatever reason, Toyota decided to make this ev button almost pointless.

The 04-09 North American Prius' didn't come with the ev button, however everything was there to add it. So I made mine turn on by holding the cruise control cancel button for 5 seconds.
It worked very well. Would let you go up to 25 mph, would let you enter ev mode when you first power the car up. And could go a fair distance on it.

But, the CTs is useless.

I'm glad I didn't pay extra for it, or take the time to do a install to add it, because it would be a total waste of money and time.
Yea, 12mph seems like an understatement. I get up to ~25mph before it will exit EV Mode. I find EV Mode pretty convenient and I use it just about everyday; anytime traffic is ~0-20mph (i.e. during freeway traffic), parking lots, and...fast food drive-thrus ()
Old 03-25-16, 12:13 PM
twindc23
Rookie

i will try this. i usually try to stay within EV range to save gas. But you know how LA rage drivers are out here. lol
Old 03-25-16, 05:38 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Do some reading on the "EV" mode ... it's actually more costly to use vs leaving the car in normal mode. The car has to turn on the motor to recharge the battery -- so you end up using gas and not getting any propulsion out of the fuel.

I wish the CT had the more accurate display of the Prius -- the engine is running briefly.

When you are coasting in normal mode -- the car benefits from regenerative braking.

I use EV mode when I want to reposition the cars -- that way I can move it without the engine. Depending on the temp it may or may not engage.
Old 03-27-16, 06:42 AM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Do some reading on the "EV" mode ... it's actually more costly to use vs leaving the car in normal mode. The car has to turn on the motor to recharge the battery -- so you end up using gas and not getting any propulsion out of the fuel.
That's so true. There's no point to try discharge the battery in normal traffic if the car isn't PHEV. EV mode is good in parking garages etc. where exhaust fumes aren't needed.

For max MPG, just pulse & glide..
Old 03-28-16, 06:45 AM
twindc23
Rookie

Good to know. Thanks for the tips!