CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Battery life for CT

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-15, 04:05 PM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
ANOTHER POINT OF INTEREST; I just traded in our 2012 CT200h with 24,000 miles on it last month on a RX450h. We never had any issues starting it. When the dealer went to certify it as a CPO the 12 volt battery failed load test so they replaced it before putting it on their lot.
Looks like the dealer knows how to keep customers happy. And congrats on your new RX!
Old 10-22-15, 06:00 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

so you all jinxed me in this thread.

just want you to know.

last night my wife called me on the way home from picking up our daughter from school to tell me a bunch of lights on the dash lite up and she got a Hybrid System Failure message in the cluster.

I told her to take it straight away to the dealer. which she did.

Hybrid Battery Failed.

here is the kicker.. yesterday was the 8th year anniversary of the day she bought the car, the warranty on the battery expires @ 8 years /80,000 miles.

she had 79,955 miles on the car.

last day of the warranty, had we waited until today we would be forking over $3,000 for a new battery..

now FWIW the dealer said the battery pack is actually fine, what failed is the copper connectors between the batteries, they became corroded and were no longer making contact with each other.

they are replacing the battery, they don't repair them.

but if you are interested, this is the problem, apparently with all Toyota Hybrid battery packs:

http://www.geek.com/news/toyota-deal...st-10-1616007/

http://jalopnik.com/the-dealer-wante...t-h-1685721487

Last edited by mjeds; 10-22-15 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 07:43 AM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you take it to third party shop for a fix? It isn't very hard to remove that oxide and apply some copper paste for protection.
Old 10-23-15, 11:42 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by nacke
Can you take it to third party shop for a fix? It isn't very hard to remove that oxide and apply some copper paste for protection.

why, it's under warranty, let them replace the battery pack
Old 12-23-15, 05:45 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

My 2011 CT200h (no navi) has 64k miles and still on original battery when purchased brand new 4 years ago. Have not come across any issue whatsoever as far as start-up or electrical-related; however after reading up this thread, for peace of mind I'm going to get it tested out tomorrow at O'Reilly's auto parts and see what happens. Seems outrageous the retail price on the battery for our vehicle is $178 according to O'Reilly's website but considering the battery is from AGM technology, I guess it makes sense.
Old 12-23-15, 10:13 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

^^^^Let us know what the battery test results were. So far my battery is fine as well and I have over 107K miles.
Old 12-23-15, 11:52 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jezo
Sounds like I might as well change it next year.

Is there a guide on how to access it so I can do it myself?
Jezo! Where are you in NJ? We should meet up and do a battery swap during a nice weekend lol
Old 12-24-15, 05:29 AM
Jezo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
Jezo! Where are you in NJ? We should meet up and do a battery swap during a nice weekend lol
Along route 78.

Going to hit 60k soon, curious to see what poster above comes back with after his test.
Old 12-24-15, 08:30 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

It's my understanding that Costco stocks batteries for the CT. Can anyone confirm this?

On a side note, I see that NAPA carries the hybrid battery pack for our cars. 1700 bucks. That's a considerable savings over dealer.
Old 12-24-15, 11:50 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Well I got the battery tested today at Tire Kingdom (unfortunately Autozone and O'Reilly do not have the proper testing equipment for hybrid vehicles, FYI). The results showed my battery has a measured 359 CCA's (versus the factory rated 690 CCA's according to the electronic reader), therefore it needs to be replaced. The technician was surprised to see the OEM battery has lasted this long but of course fairly warned me that in Florida, batteries undergo more wear and tear than in other areas. I'm thinking, "Holy moly, tell me something I don't already know."

Still not convinced, I have made an appointment at JM Lexus on Monday to have the battery fully checked out and get an honest 2nd opinion. One of my friends is a service advisor there so it shouldn't be a problem for him to save me a little bit of money if the battery needs to replaced. If nothing at all, at least I'll get a free wash from them
Old 12-24-15, 09:47 PM
Trexus

O'Reilly Auto parts carries batteries for our CT. I checked Costco's website and could not find automotive batteries.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0423&ppt=C0005
Old 12-25-15, 05:18 PM
jjboys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus

O'Reilly Auto parts carries batteries for our CT. I checked Costco's website and could not find automotive batteries.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0423&ppt=C0005
I have 206,000 miles on my CT at I'm on the original battery.
Old 12-26-15, 10:22 AM
Trexus

^^^Wow! That is just amazing...the CT is definitely a great car that gets great mpg's and is dead reliable...
Old 12-28-15, 07:26 AM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusk8
The technician was surprised to see the OEM battery has lasted this long but of course fairly warned me that in Florida, batteries undergo more wear and tear than in other areas. I'm thinking, "Holy moly, tell me something I don't already know."
Why would driving in Florida be harder on batteries than other places?
Old 12-29-15, 02:27 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb Got the battery replaced

Originally Posted by JayGoldste
Why would driving in Florida be harder on batteries than other places?
The sun here in Florida can take a toll on automotive batteries and exterior paint. It exists all year long but obviously gets the most extreme in the summers.

UPDATE: I ended up getting the auxiliary 12V battery replaced yesterday at JM Lexus. The load test showed the amperage rating is 60-70% below the stock rating, and so my service advisor recommends getting the battery replaced. Took a little less than 2 hours to do the work and with the car wash included. I've only driven for a couple hours with the new battery but here are some of the changes I've noticed:
  • Windows rolls down and up faster.
  • The cruising range mileage number on the instrument cluster is "reset" to a higher number than before. For example, when I filled up before the battery was replaced the cruising range showed 455 miles. With the new battery the cruising range shows 510 miles. Does that mean I will get more mileage out of every fill-up? We'll have to wait and see
  • The CT overall seems more responsive on the throttle even in ECO mode.

Quick Reply: Battery life for CT