CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Who here has a non-nav CT and uses an android phone? BTA issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-15, 08:57 PM
chroma23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who here has a non-nav CT and uses an android phone? BTA issue

Hi all, I am running into some nuisances with my non-nav CT and would like some insight or help.

I own a 2013 CT200h with premium package but no nav

For those who have non-nav models of the CT. when you pair a phone through those voice commands, the system will also ask you if you want to pair BTA (bluetooth audio) as well. most people will say yes to it as well so they have BTA and A2DP as well via their phones.

I have noticed a somewhat annoying "bug" in the non-nav audio system. lets say i have my phone paired and is playing music via BTA from the phone. the audio system plays fine. however, if i turn off the audio system (by press the power button ****) and wait for say 5 mins or longer and turn it back on (without turning the car off), BTA music will not play and the audio display (where the track info is displayed) will say "not connect". if you turn it back on in a minute or so, BTA will still be connected, but not if you turn it back on after a longer period of time

however, the BT and cell phone antenna/reception icons are still on, and you can still make calls with the phone via the audio system (ring tone will still play through the car speakers). android's bluetooth settings will say that it's connected to the audio system but will say "connected (no media)" underneath CAR_MEDIA.

to make BTA work again, i have 2 options. connect the phone again via BTA setup (yelling "setup" "bluetooth audio setup" "connect audio player" "(device name)" "confirm" "from car" "confirm" via voice command which is getting very tedious). or, turn off the car and start the car again (even more tedious) and the audio system will reconnect both phone and BTA automatically......until you turn off the audio system for a while when the car is running

it seems that the non-nav audio system has trouble reconnecting a device as a BTA device after their system is turned off for a while and turned on again when the car is running, hence the "connected (no media)" status in the android bluetooth settings screen. why would the audio system disconnect the BTA half of the phone but not the phone calling part of the phone?

my other cars do not have this problem at all. got a loaner lexus ES350 the other day and it didnt have this issue so looks like it's isolated to the CT audio system only. i mentioned this to the dealership last week but they couldn't find anything wrong with it, nor there is any software updates (since the CT is not a nav model).

i tried 2 android phones (nexus 5 and moto g first gen, both running lollipop, but had the same issue when they were running kitkat) and they can both replicate this issue. i was wondering if anybody else has this issue or if anybody is able to replicate this symptom as well......or better yet, knows a workaround.

thanks in advance

Last edited by chroma23; 02-24-15 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-25-15, 11:33 AM
lcneed
Driver

I don't think your problem is unique to non-nav CT. I have a nav CT and have the same problem if I turn off my audio. That's why I never turn it off. Sometime I will switch to FM and switch back to BT but I never turn it off. With Nav version it is easy to fix the problem though.. under the BT Audio screen there is a Connect bottom. Maybe there is a voice command to connect Audio BT.
Old 02-25-15, 11:55 AM
chroma23
Driver School Candidate

oh that sucks

there are voice commands to reconnect BT, but involves saying a crap load of things:

"setup"
"bluetooth audio setup"
"connect audio player"
"(device nickname)"
"confirm"
"from car"
"confirm"

unfortunately, not very straight forward
Old 02-26-15, 06:41 AM
Pezlo
Driver

I have a similar issue where my BTA - randomly drops and reconnects after about 5 seconds. It happens with Bluetooth audio and when I use the Pandora from the Lexus app suite. I have a droid as well LG G3, Nav ct '15
Old 04-02-15, 11:44 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by chroma23
oh that sucks

there are voice commands to reconnect BT, but involves saying a crap load of things:

"setup"
"bluetooth audio setup"
"connect audio player"
"(device nickname)"
"confirm"
"from car"
"confirm"

My IS250 had the same problem and this is a solution to it. You can even do these commands while the car is moving, so it takes about 30 seconds to get it back up.

It's not just the CT that does this. I've encountered this problem only with a Lexus.
Old 04-10-15, 08:26 PM
Mutorcs
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ooookay so yea I've got pretty much the same problem but didn't read your thread because of the title because I do have Sat Nav. But apparently it's a common problem to all CTs... And a very annoying one. Is there NO work around? No app that can be installed that can solve this problem? No nothing?
Old 04-12-15, 09:35 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mutorcs
Ooookay so yea I've got pretty much the same problem but didn't read your thread because of the title because I do have Sat Nav. But apparently it's a common problem to all CTs... And a very annoying one. Is there NO work around? No app that can be installed that can solve this problem? No nothing?
It takes under 30 second to fix the problem WHILE driving. So it's not that bad and I have to say, it happened way more in the IS250 than it does in my CT200h.
Old 04-12-15, 01:06 PM
Mutorcs
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems then that I don't have the same problem. Because for me it happens every dam time. And it takes way longer than 30secs because I can't just click on "connect" - that would be too easy -. I need to disconnect the phone FIRST and then disconnect the bluetooth on my phone and then reconnect both the audio and the phone in that order.
Old 10-19-15, 11:14 AM
DreamerzCC
Pole Position

we havent had that problem with our S5 or Note 2
Old 10-19-15, 01:23 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

The Bluetooth pairing is really a hassle on this car. They should at least give us a screen to set it up instead of just voice commands! Even a cheap Corolla comes with a screen now and this $30K Lexus doesn't?!
Old 10-26-15, 12:37 PM
DreamerzCC
Pole Position

my G37 probably has the best bluetooth setup I have had between, Lexus, Ford and BMW. Always connects and stays connected and if my wife and I both have bluettoth on whoevers phone rings 1st it picks up via bluetooth.
Old 10-27-15, 11:26 AM
lcneed
Driver

Originally Posted by chroma23
oh that sucks

"setup"
"bluetooth audio setup"
"connect audio player"
"(device nickname)"
"confirm"
"from car"
"confirm"

I have been having some trouble with the loaner CT kept disconnecting. Then I realized that when I did the setup, I did "from audio device" instead of "from car". After I switched to "from car" it seems to fix it.