CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Urgent query for CT200H owners!!!!

Old 11-06-14, 06:08 PM
Bobbyk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent query for CT200H owners!!!!

Hello all,

On the verge of buying a Certified Pre Owned 2011 CT200H from a Lexus Dealership in Richmond Hill, Toronto.
Car has 102,000 km on it and the Lexus Extra Care warranty is costing me $2000 to extend it till 200,000 km. It is a comprehensive coverage including the Hybrid components.

I have to let the dealership know in the next few days and hence wanted to check with all existing owners if it would be a worthwhile investment.

Are there any known issues(electrical,mechanical) with the vehicle?
When do they usually start breaking down?

Any input will be appreciated. Pressed for time, hence not able to do much research.
Old 11-07-14, 05:59 AM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't pay such a sum, hybrid system is very reliable and the rest of the car as well. Save that 2 000 usd and spend some $$$ to preventive maintenance instead (replace tranny oil for example).
Old 11-07-14, 07:24 AM
Bobbyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nacke
I wouldn't pay such a sum, hybrid system is very reliable and the rest of the car as well. Save that 2 000 usd and spend some $$$ to preventive maintenance instead (replace tranny oil for example).
Thx for replying..How are the electronic components in it in terms of reliability? Have you had any issues with it that are universal?
Old 11-07-14, 07:26 AM
Bobbyk
Driver School Candidate

Anyone else wants to chime in? I'm leaning more towards a "NO" and perhaps spend the money on winter tires and clear bra..
Old 11-07-14, 07:48 AM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobbyk
Thx for replying..How are the electronic components in it in terms of reliability? Have you had any issues with it that are universal?
Can't comment on that, I haven't received my CT yet I have done my homework though, check this out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...-likes-ct.html
Old 11-07-14, 07:54 AM
LoveCT
Driver

Anyone else wants to chime in? I'm leaning more towards a "NO" and perhaps spend the money on winter tires and clear bra..
I gave you a response in the other forum. But as a recap, I would not be worried about the hybrid components failing, as they are proven reliable. Now, if you want peace of mind, I suggest you buy the Platinum ECP, as it covers almost literally everything, including the radio components, which depending on the usage, can break down. I was sucked into the comprehensive ECP by my dealership too. But mind you, they might be selling you the Gold ECP. I have Gold ECP. The Gold is, in my opinion waste of money, as it covers the components that are proven reliable. Go Platinum or don't go.

Based on my experiences, and no I am not affiliated with any company I mention below:
Winter tires is a must on these cars for Toronto winters. I bought the Goodyear Ultra Grip ICE WRT and I am extremely happy with them. Bought it from Toyota/Lexus on the Park as they were cheapest in the GTA last year. Talk to Greg, the service adviser at Lexus on the Park, and say PR referred you. Truly great guy to deal with.

Regarding Clear Bra, if you have pitted hood and bumper already, I say consider repainting them first before putting a clear bra. These things are usually expensive at the dealerships. I have done some bumper paint jobs at Chipmaster Markham. Really affordable place, and truly offers great job for the money. As an obsessively compulsive person, I was happy with the work. http://chipmastermarkham.com/

Now I have gotten hood, bumper covered by clear bra as well. Got it from auto-links. www.auto-links.ca. Another gem of a group of guys. I also got my windows tinted and roof wrapped through them. Always, and i mean always left satisfied, only to come back to get something more done.

All the above companies have stellar reputation on the web as well.

Did I congratulate you on your purchase?

Last edited by LoveCT; 11-07-14 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-07-14, 08:15 AM
Bobbyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LoveCT
I gave you a response in the other forum. But as a recap, I would not be worried about the hybrid components failing, as they are proven reliable. Now, if you want peace of mind, I suggest you buy the Platinum ECP, as it covers almost literally everything, including the radio components, which depending on the usage, can break down. I was sucked into the comprehensive ECP by my dealership too. But mind you, they might be selling you the Gold ECP. I have Gold ECP. The Gold is, in my opinion waste of money, as it covers the components that are proven reliable. Go Platinum or don't go.

Based on my experiences, and no I am not affiliated with any company I mention below:
Winter tires is a must on these cars for Toronto winters. I bought the Goodyear Ultra Grip ICE WRT and I am extremely happy with them. Bought it from Toyota/Lexus on the Park as they were cheapest in the GTA last year. Talk to Greg, the service adviser at Lexus on the Park, and say PR referred you. Truly great guy to deal with.

Regarding Clear Bra, if you have pitted hood and bumper already, I say consider repainting them first before putting a clear bra. These things are usually expensive at the dealerships. I have done some bumper paint jobs at Chipmaster Markham. Really affordable place, and truly offers great job for the money. As an obsessively compulsive person, I was happy with the work. http://chipmastermarkham.com/

Now I have gotten hood, bumper covered by clear bra as well. Got it from auto-links. www.auto-links.ca. Another gem of a group of guys. I also got my windows tinted and roof wrapped through them. Always, and i mean always left satisfied, only to come back to get something more done.

All the above companies have stellar reputation on the web as well.

Did I congratulate you on your purchase?
Thanks for a detailed response. I posted in the other forum in desperation more than anything. I think from what I have read or come across, I will pass on the ECP(i don't have the Platinum ECP details) and spend the money on Winter tires and clear bra.

I have got some quotes from tires 23,simply tires who are reputable as well for $1070 taxes in installed with continental extreme on alloy rims. Not sure if I can get any cheaper.

I did actually sent an email to auto link for a quote for clear bra already as they have a good reputation as you mentioned.

Car should be likely ready by Tuesday if everything goes smooth.
Old 11-07-14, 08:23 AM
Bobbyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nacke
Can't comment on that, I haven't received my CT yet I have done my homework though, check this out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...-likes-ct.html
Good to know that it is on top of the chart in terms of reliability. I guess I'll spend my money on winter package and a clear bra.

In any case, I still will get a 2 year,40,000 kms powertrain warranty from Lexus from the date I pick up the car.
Old 11-07-14, 08:46 AM
LoveCT
Driver

I have got some quotes from tires 23,simply tires who are reputable as well for $1070 taxes in installed with continental extreme on alloy rims. Not sure if I can get any cheaper.
Great price, I must say! Don't forget the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) for each wheel. Costs you a bit, but saves your bacon down the road.
Old 11-07-14, 09:16 AM
Bobbyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LoveCT
Great price, I must say! Don't forget the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) for each wheel. Costs you a bit, but saves your bacon down the road.
I totally forgot about them..I'm assuming that if I don't get them installed, I'll just have to live with the dash light without any other compromise.
Old 11-07-14, 07:23 PM
r81984
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for a detailed response. I posted in the other forum in desperation more than anything. I think from what I have read or come across, I will pass on the ECP(i don't have the Platinum ECP details) and spend the money on Winter tires and clear bra.

I did actually sent an email to auto link for a quote for clear bra already as they have a good reputation as you mentioned.

Car should be likely ready by Tuesday if everything goes smooth.
Just in case they want to charge you a fortune for another set of TPMS sensors.
A quick search shows a set of 4 goes for about $120 online.
You can program them yourself with the ID numbers if you buy the Toyota Techstream cable on ebay for around $25.

If they cant match or come close to $120 then buy them yourself and have them ready when you want to install the tires on the rims for the first time.
They should program the TPMS for you if you are buying tires from them. (even 3rd party tire places can program them).
But you can also buy the techstream cable if you want to program them yourself.

I have the clear bra. It came already on my car when I bought it. I dont know if it worth it.
It does not seem that thick to really stop rocks from piercing through.
Old 11-07-14, 08:54 PM
Bobbyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by r81984
Just in case they want to charge you a fortune for another set of TPMS sensors.
A quick search shows a set of 4 goes for about $120 online.
You can program them yourself with the ID numbers if you buy the Toyota Techstream cable on ebay for around $25.

If they cant match or come close to $120 then buy them yourself and have them ready when you want to install the tires on the rims for the first time.
They should program the TPMS for you if you are buying tires from them. (even 3rd party tire places can program them).
But you can also buy the techstream cable if you want to program them yourself.

I have the clear bra. It came already on my car when I bought it. I dont know if it worth it.
It does not seem that thick to really stop rocks from piercing through.
Good to know that..If I don't get the sensors, what is the drawback?
Old 11-08-14, 05:27 PM
lcneed
Driver

I replied to you on the other forum. Here is what I wrote there:

I bought my 2012 CT on Dec 31, 2011. I got the Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty for 125,000 miles / 6 Years for a little over $1500. Fast forward to now, I am close to 90,000 miles (I drive 30k a year). I have absolutely 0 problem with my CT. This is only car I ever drove (since the 80's) that went past 60,000 miles without something broken down. Usually something like water pump, timing belt, etc.. would go.
Old 11-08-14, 06:17 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Whoa there. Did you say a preowned 2011 model? Remember that this was a brand new model and the first year model came with plenty of problems. I have an early 2011 and agree the hybrid system is bulletproof but I've had the car in for many weeks of fault repairs.
Steering is a major problem as it had to have the steering linkage replaced (a well documented Prius problem). A second steering problem developed with a recoil? mechanism 2 years later. The latter they fixed in a day, the former took a week. Moonroof can be a major pain as it was an all new model for lexus. My needed extensive repair with the roof lining having to be removed. Other more minor issues are replacement of broken passenger door handle, centre button replacement (once it starts sticking you can't fix it) and replacement of satnav cd as it randomly resets while driving.
The other issue is the hard jarring suspension. Recently drove the facelifted model and its a revelation in terms of ride comfort. Also a lot less rattles in the updated model as they have strengthened the chassis components.
Old 11-09-14, 10:31 AM
Bobbyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by miop4000
Whoa there. Did you say a preowned 2011 model? Remember that this was a brand new model and the first year model came with plenty of problems. I have an early 2011 and agree the hybrid system is bulletproof but I've had the car in for many weeks of fault repairs.
Steering is a major problem as it had to have the steering linkage replaced (a well documented Prius problem). A second steering problem developed with a recoil? mechanism 2 years later. The latter they fixed in a day, the former took a week. Moonroof can be a major pain as it was an all new model for lexus. My needed extensive repair with the roof lining having to be removed. Other more minor issues are replacement of broken passenger door handle, centre button replacement (once it starts sticking you can't fix it) and replacement of satnav cd as it randomly resets while driving.
The other issue is the hard jarring suspension. Recently drove the facelifted model and its a revelation in terms of ride comfort. Also a lot less rattles in the updated model as they have strengthened the chassis components.
Seems like you had everyone's share of problems!! I was just trying to contemplate whether it is worth $2000. Consensus is that it is not worthwhile and the $2000 warranty is not their Platinum ECP and hence has limitations. This was a real good price and had been at the lot for a little while and I guess they were a bit desperate. It is however CPO from Lexus and does has Powertrain coverage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Urgent query for CT200H owners!!!!