CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Install $75 LED Headlights That Are Bright Enough

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-14, 05:36 PM
GISguy
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

So these are roughly the same/slightly brighter than halogens? They don't require black housings the way HIDs do, correct? I don't wanna be *that* guy with the blinding retrofit.
Old 10-22-14, 08:18 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GISguy
So these are roughly the same/slightly brighter than halogens? They don't require black housings the way HIDs do, correct? I don't wanna be *that* guy with the blinding retrofit.
Roughly the same, yes. And no they don't require black housings. Just plug and pray/play.
Old 11-24-14, 11:28 AM
SteveMason
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had the H11 40W CREE LED 4800LM 6000K in both my headlights and fog lights for a few months now and they have worked great and do not overheat at all.

The only issue I'm having is that they greatly interfere with radio reception when they are on. Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 11-24-14, 01:09 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Originally Posted by SteveMason
I have had the H11 40W CREE LED 4800LM 6000K in both my headlights and fog lights for a few months now and they have worked great and do not overheat at all.

The only issue I'm having is that they greatly interfere with radio reception when they are on. Has anyone else had this issue?
The static noise is usually a result of loose electrical connections. For troubleshooting purposes, as a start can you go back to regular halogen and see if you still have the static in radio reception? If not, then we've narrowed down to the the bulbs or the connection that are the problem.

I've found that the socket for these LED bulbs needs to be snugly fit. And you have to apply a bit of pressure so that the bulb connections get perfectly seated. So just connect the LED plug extensions to the factory socket (if you have second gen LED bulbs), or for first gen LED's which does not have any plug extensions, just don't connect the LED bulbs and keep the socket open. Do you hear any static on the radio? If not, it's the bulb connectors that's the problem.

Now connect the LED bulbs one by one to the plugs and press them hard enough so that you don't feel any play on either of them. You could actually try with just one bulb plugged and play your radio to hear any static. Hopefully, your problems will be resolved or you'll be able to narrow down the problem element. The bulbs are warrantied for one or two years. If you still have static issues try contacting your eBay seller to replace the problem part. Some of these sellers respond very well and provide prompt support. You'll be surprised compared to Big box retailers. Good luck!
Old 11-25-14, 08:10 PM
r81984
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveMason

I have no radio reception issues or static.
I changed every bulb in my car except the high beams to led.

I just cannot see how an LED bulb would cause that.
Old 11-29-14, 02:54 PM
SteveMason
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveCT
The static noise is usually a result of loose electrical connections. For troubleshooting purposes, as a start can you go back to regular halogen and see if you still have the static in radio reception? If not, then we've narrowed down to the the bulbs or the connection that are the problem.

I've found that the socket for these LED bulbs needs to be snugly fit. And you have to apply a bit of pressure so that the bulb connections get perfectly seated. So just connect the LED plug extensions to the factory socket (if you have second gen LED bulbs), or for first gen LED's which does not have any plug extensions, just don't connect the LED bulbs and keep the socket open. Do you hear any static on the radio? If not, it's the bulb connectors that's the problem.

Now connect the LED bulbs one by one to the plugs and press them hard enough so that you don't feel any play on either of them. You could actually try with just one bulb plugged and play your radio to hear any static. Hopefully, your problems will be resolved or you'll be able to narrow down the problem element. The bulbs are warrantied for one or two years. If you still have static issues try contacting your eBay seller to replace the problem part. Some of these sellers respond very well and provide prompt support. You'll be surprised compared to Big box retailers. Good luck!
Thanks again for your help!

So I went through all of them and made sure they were tight. as soon as I disconnect the LEDs the radio reception gets better so it must be the LEDs. They all seem to do it as well.

I looked it up on Google and it seems like allot of people get interference from LEDs, not just in cars, but in kitchen lights and other applications.

I think for now I will just live with it because I don't listen to the radio enough to warrant spending too much time on the problem.
Old 12-01-14, 03:21 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Update 12/01/2014

Update 12/01/2014

Originally Posted by lexusrus
UPDATE 12/01/2014: I put these into my CT200h both in the low bean and the fog lights. The difference is BIG. Now people get out of my way especially at night when i have both low beam and fog lights on. It is not "blinding" to the approaching traffic on two lane roads so as to cause problems. The fog lights not only projects out, but also to the sides across something like two lanes so I can see. This is especially helpful when I am traveling out in the middle of no where country roads where there are no "street lights". These are just PURE WHITE (not the cheap cheezy blue lights you see running around). Also these are 30 watts/3000 Lumins each (HIGHER OUT PUT VERSUS THE "OLD ONE").

So far no over heating/melting problems. And no radio/cell/GPS interference (I don't use the "FM radio" that much, but I do use cell and GPS a lot).

The best price I found as at $59 for the pair with free shipping. It took about 14 days or so shipping from China:

H11-6000K-60W-6000LM-One-body-Design-Auto-CREE-LED-Headlights-Fog-Lamp-DRL-Bulb

I hope this helps.

I will post pics when I get some free time.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks.

I ordered these "2nd generation" LED lights and they are from China (cheaper at $59 per two with free shipping). It says delivery takes around two to three weeks. I will have to wait and see. I will keep you all posted and take pics after I install them.
Old 07-28-15, 11:27 PM
bodaman80
Driver School Candidate

Default install mine last night!! with pictures!!!

It took about 20 min to install..
getting the ring out without damaging the led was the only hard part.
Attached Thumbnails Install  LED Headlights That Are Bright Enough-img_7442.jpg   Install  LED Headlights That Are Bright Enough-img_7438.jpg   Install  LED Headlights That Are Bright Enough-img_7440.jpg   Install  LED Headlights That Are Bright Enough-img_7439.jpg   Install  LED Headlights That Are Bright Enough-img_7436.jpg  

Old 07-28-15, 11:54 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bodaman80
It took about 20 min to install..
getting the ring out without damaging the led was the only hard part.
Grats, but if you're going to bring back an almost 8 month old thread you might as well include price and specs on the lights (in case of updated parts) lol.
Old 08-03-15, 10:45 AM
Newps
Driver School Candidate

Could you post the part numbers, manufacture and who you bought them through?
Old 08-10-15, 10:19 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

The ones I bought was from this vendor (m2-racing):

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...797404&alt=web

The description when I ordered these were as follows:

Newest 6000LM 60W/Set CREE LED Headlight Kit 9005 9006 H7 H8 H9 H11 HID 6000K

It was $69 for a set of two led bulbs. It was shipped from CA USA. Make sure it is shipped from USA.

Make sure you order H11 which is the bulb that fits my 2013 CT200H low beam and fog l8lighlights. Probably same for high beam also, but I left high beam alone stock. This is just in case for the unlikely event that the new LED lights failed, I still have my original trusty halogen high beam lights.

Also make sure to wear clean disposal gloves and do not touch the actual led bulbs. Only touch the metal part.

I accessed the fog lights via the wheel well by popping out the retainers holding the wheel well and gently peel the black plastic wheel well back to reach the fogs. Also wear a thick long sleeves shirt or duck tape wrap a towel on you forearm so you don't get cuts on you forearm as you reach in.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Newps
Could you post the part numbers, manufacture and who you bought them through?
Old 08-11-15, 08:05 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

HID is still the best in terms of light output.

Here is a really good review comparing Stock VS LED Headlights VS HID headlights (both 4300k and 5000k):

http://www.xenondepot.com/highlander...eview-s/52.htm

Steve
Old 09-05-15, 10:22 AM
r81984
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
HID is still the best in terms of light output.

Here is a really good review comparing Stock VS LED Headlights VS HID headlights (both 4300k and 5000k):

http://www.xenondepot.com/highlander...eview-s/52.htm

Steve
HIDs are annoying with the delay and require some rewiring to install relay to ensure they dont surge any electronics in the car. Even though I could do the modification in 5 minutes, I just dont see the point.
LEDs are the way to go.

I had LEDs on my CT on my car for over a year. (see 1st post).
One did fail and I replaced it. The other one is still working after over a year.

There are already newer and better LEDs than what I bought, so I may buy some new ones. I would not consider HIDs at all.
I would rather just use the regular bulbs vs HIDs. I will probably buy the LEDs lexusrus posted.
Old 09-08-15, 08:24 AM
hdave
Driver

Hi Guys

I have 4300k HIDs currently, and they match the DRLs nearly perfectly, but they tend to flicker or not work well in extreme cold so I want to replace them before the winter.

Are there any LEDs that match the factory DRLs?
If so, what is the best bang for your buck LED bulbs currently?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-15, 12:57 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

HI,

I'm obviously biased, but...

(1) HIDs not working in cold is an issue with your ballast -- not necessarily the case for all "HID kits"

(2) I'm obviously a fan of the XenonDepot LED headlight bulbs

Steve

Quick Reply: Install $75 LED Headlights That Are Bright Enough