CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Considering trading FJ cruiser for CT200h? Right Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-14, 05:47 AM
aimcat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering trading FJ cruiser for CT200h? Right Choice?

Hi guys, I currently have a 2008 FJ Cruiser and while I really do like it sometimes I fanaticize about what it would be like to have a vehicle that could get over 20mpg. My husband and I have ALWAYS had gas guzzlers. He currently has a 7.3 Ford F250 diesel as well. I have always had an SUV. I have always like the hatchback design vehicles so this one intrigued me as I had a lexus GX470 before and liked the quality and reliability. So I am just wondering if this seems like a good choice? Personally things that are important to me out of a car is comfort, reliability, and we would use this vehicle as a primary trip vehicle - meaning trips of no more than say 6-7 hours otherwise we fly. Its important for us to be able to fit 1-2 suitcases in the back as well as sometimes a dog kennel, a small one for our 2 small dogs.

What do you think and if you own this car are you happy with it? Is the space doable? Anything you don't like?
We would be looking at trading the FJ for a used one - probably a 12 model under 50k.
Old 05-22-14, 06:21 AM
lcneed
Driver

Originally Posted by aimcat
Hi guys, I currently have a 2008 FJ Cruiser and while I really do like it sometimes I fanaticize about what it would be like to have a vehicle that could get over 20mpg. My husband and I have ALWAYS had gas guzzlers. He currently has a 7.3 Ford F250 diesel as well. I have always had an SUV. I have always like the hatchback design vehicles so this one intrigued me as I had a lexus GX470 before and liked the quality and reliability. So I am just wondering if this seems like a good choice? Personally things that are important to me out of a car is comfort, reliability, and we would use this vehicle as a primary trip vehicle - meaning trips of no more than say 6-7 hours otherwise we fly. Its important for us to be able to fit 1-2 suitcases in the back as well as sometimes a dog kennel, a small one for our 2 small dogs.

What do you think and if you own this car are you happy with it? Is the space doable? Anything you don't like?
We would be looking at trading the FJ for a used one - probably a 12 model under 50k.
We have taken our CT on just about every long road trip (4 to 5 hours) over the BMW X5. The fuel cost for the X5 is about 3x higher, but the primary reason for taking the CT is that I like driving the CT more. If there is no adult sitting int he back seat, then I think you would be fine with the CT. There is not much leg room in the back seat and there is no cup holder in the back. You should have enough room to hold all your stuff for the trip. You do sit a lot lower and closer to the road... coming from SVU and truck, it may take you a while to get used to it.
Old 05-22-14, 06:23 AM
aimcat
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. Another concern and wanted to know what you guys think, is this seems low powered, I do a lot of interstate driving, so will this car pickup up and get going without a lot of lag? I know its not a performance car and I am fine with that.

Also are there any draw backs to it having a battery? Is there replacement costs for that?

Other than an SUV lexus from what I have seen doesn't offer any vehicles car wise with good space for a dog kennel per say.
Old 05-22-14, 08:00 AM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rookie

Coming from a V8 M3, the car is fine in the power department. I just picked mine up yesterday and drove back to Las Vegas from San Diego without issue (5 hours). I've owned cars ranging from a Honda Fit to the M3 and have never had an issue with power other than going up a few large hills in the Fit at one point. The CT handled all the hills without issue and is comfortable to drive. I also used to own the Lexus HS hybrid and that thing interior wise feels like a Toyota compared to the CT. It's a nice car.
Old 05-22-14, 08:07 AM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally things that are important to me out of a car is comfort, reliability, and we would use this vehicle as a primary trip vehicle - meaning trips of no more than say 6-7 hours otherwise we fly. Its important for us to be able to fit 1-2 suitcases in the back as well as sometimes a dog kennel, a small one for our 2 small dogs. .
There's plenty of cargo capacity for 2 people, especially with the back seats down. We recently returned from a 1,400 km (870 mi.) trip carrying two folding bikes in their storage bags, two duffle bags, and a small soft bag.

This was our first long drive in the F Sport and we found it quite comfortable. I had the winter tires on and so the noise level was higher than it would be with the OE all seasons, but not objectionable. For most of the trip I set the cruise control at 116 km/h (72 mph) on the GPS. The average fuel consumption for the trip was 6 L/100 km (39 mpg).
Old 05-22-14, 09:01 AM
aimcat
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the help. Something else I want to ask and might be a dumb question but we had also considered an Audi A3 or Q5, Mazda 3 Hatchback, Acura TSX, TL, MDX and RDX. Racking these up to the CT200h where is reliability and quality compare in your eyes?
Old 05-22-14, 11:34 AM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rookie

The only ones I considered of that group are the TSX and TL. My gf has an SUV and when we change her car out, it'll likely be to a Toyota Venza.

The reason I chose the CT over the TSX or TL is that one, I liked the styling better. Two, I could find TLs for less than I could find the CT, but after averaging in the MPG and savings in gas (TSX takes premium), it was a wash and I got a newer car with less mileage for the same monthly cost.

Not to mention they are changing to a TLX and getting rid of both models. I didn't want something so old looking. If I keep the CT for awhile, I'll likely convert the front bumper to the 2014 F Sport and to every person that looks at it would think it's a brand new car. My $.02
Old 05-22-14, 05:09 PM
aimcat
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone else come from an SUV to the CT or similar? How did you feel? This is a car I would want to keep until paid for or just conks out. So I want it to hold up and stand the test of a few years. The one we are looking at is silver, with no nav, it has 17k miles and is a 2012. It seems hard to find the ones with Nav, I only saw one and it was just too much for us price wise.
How is the stereo system in these?
Old 05-23-14, 06:25 AM
aimcat
Driver School Candidate

Also just one more question - my husband is really liking the mini cooper countryman s, we found one of those for about the same price as the ct? would you guys say the reliability or anything is better or worse about these?
Old 05-23-14, 06:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not a fan of the CT but would get one over a Mini.
Mini reliability is said to be awful.
Old 05-23-14, 06:28 AM
aimcat
Driver School Candidate

Oh good to know! Just for curiosity sake - why are you not a CT fan Id like to know for my own shopping purposes.
Old 05-23-14, 06:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh good to know! Just for curiosity sake - why are you not a CT fan Id like to know for my own shopping purposes.
Too small,too slow and too harsh of a ride for a Lexus.
Old 05-23-14, 09:28 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Too small,too slow and too harsh of a ride for a Lexus.
small - yes, it is very small. smaller than an IS cabin.

slow - yes, but not dangerously so. the main thing that bugs me about "slow" is that when you really make it work hard it's LOUD. but that's the car working for you i've never not been able to pass a truck or get up an onramp when i need to. and i regularly drive 80mph on the freeway.

harsh - i actually like the stiffer steering and road feel vs. other lexus models. so it's a matter of personal preference really. whenever i get an ES loaner i feel a little uneasy. it's so long and floaty and doesn't feel as planted to me.

i would think the biggest change coming from the FJC is the size. there will be times you are wishing you had the visibility and cargo capacity of an SUV if that's what you've been driving for a while. it does feel great, however, to have the extra money in your pocket when you go to the gas station
Old 05-23-14, 12:26 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree 100% with lexuslover regarding the CT 200h. The benefits of owing the CT are the high mpg's, much lower maintenance costs and reliability.

The FJ Cruiser is nice and Toyota will discontinue it as of 2014. There will be no 2015 model. Hey, maybe if you keep your FJ Cruiser it might be worth money later in the future.

Overall I love my 2011 CT 200h and I'll be keeping it for a long time.
Old 05-24-14, 07:39 AM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for all the help. Something else I want to ask and might be a dumb question but we had also considered an Audi A3 or Q5, Mazda 3 Hatchback, Acura TSX, TL, MDX and RDX. Racking these up to the CT200h where is reliability and quality compare in your eyes?
I would take the time to test drive the new revamp '14 Mazda3. I subscribe to most of car magazines and it's unprecedented that they all rave how fun it drives, especially if you like stick. It's much cheaper than the CT, get's good MPG, and should be reliable. I might have to go test drive it myself and get it as my second car since I prefer stick.

Quick Reply: Considering trading FJ cruiser for CT200h? Right Choice?