CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

New CT200H dead after -20 weather

Old 01-06-14, 06:50 PM
proone
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New CT200H dead after -20 weather

The car is completely dead.

Its always garaged when not in use. It wasn't out in the -50 windchill. Overnight, I think it reached -20.

Every other car in the neighborhood appears to be working fine (1970 F150, other Priuses, Tacomas, RAV4's, etc...)

The dealer told me the standard 12v in the trunk is connected to the large battery that drives the hybrid. If this is true, I can't see the 12v battery ever going dead.

I am in BIsmarck, ND. The nearest dealership is in Minneapolis.

What should I do, try jumping it? If the battery did die in such cold weather it would be ruined now.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-06-14, 07:19 PM
shltech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure this applies to your new vehicle, but found this Popular Mechanics discussion on hybrids online: http://www.popularmechanics.com/_mob...s-battery-dies
Old 01-07-14, 07:23 AM
HennessySK
Rookie

The auxiliary 12v battery in the trunk is a AGM (absorbed glass mat) style battery like an Optima battery but with a temperature sensor as well. Part # 00544-21171-LEX

As with a regular lead acid battery, it can drain if something was left on in the car. And like a regular battery, it can be jump started. And it does go bad after a while like a regular battery.

To make jumping easier, there is a contact point (+) inside the main junction block under the hood. It may be covered by a red cover.

If your vehicle has less than 50,000 miles, contact your service consultant and schedule an appointment at the dealership to get your 12v battery checked.
Old 01-20-14, 08:23 AM
proone
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone for your responses!

I jumped the car and got it running but after letting it sit overnight it was dead again.

Lexus roadside assistance wanted to ship the car to the nearest dealership in Minneapolis, replace the battery and ship the car back to us (in ND).

Thankfully, the dealership we bought it from Lexus of Wayzata, allowed us to take it to our local Toyota dealership to have the battery replaced (and they paid for it). It cost over $300!
Old 01-20-14, 05:14 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Wow. Keep us updated on the situation. I'd love to hear what was causing this issue!
Old 01-21-14, 06:54 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Battery drained on me once with the CT, and RX as well. Lexus are very reliable but the achilles heel is weak 12v batteries. A co-worker of mine had his ES300h' battery replaced too just recently due to chilling weather.
Old 01-21-14, 01:11 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

ours has been spazzing out in the recent winter months and i'm wondering if any of the cold weather members can comment . perhaps i should start another thread later too ...

we live in So Cal, and the CT is garaged. nights get into the 40's and the garage gets cold. when i get into the car first thing in the AM, step on the brake, green light comes on the push button start, and hit it, the "READY" light doesn't come on immediately. the nav screen doesn't flip open, and usually it acts like it's thinking about something. sometimes, the backlit keys on the console buttons flicker like they are about go out or i'm low on battery.

i have to push START again anywhere from 2-10 more times, each time the green light on the button is lit and ready to start, but it just doesn't want to turn on.

i brought this up to the dealer and even had them keep the car overnight in the cold and try in the morning and of course i get the "could not replicate" and went to pick up the car.

once i get going and have been driving and the car and weather is warm, it's no problem starting the rest of the day. it's only first thing cold start in the AM.

anyone experience the same thing? i actually have taken video on my iphone showing that the start button is lit green and my finger pushing it repeatedly without the car starting. i want to get a few more days like that so i have something to show the dealer next time. very frustrating. i know from 2 months experience that it will ALWAYS start (i.e., i'm not afraid it'll leave me stranded somewhere), but you just don't know if you are going to be sitting there for 90 seconds pushing that damn button before it decides to be READY.
Old 01-21-14, 08:52 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ that sounds extremely frustrated. I wouldn't want to rush out of my house in a hurry for an 8 am meeting and deal with that.

The thing about the batter is that if it were dead, it wouldn't just start up randomly 90 seconds later...
Old 01-22-14, 06:03 AM
Bob259
Driver

Originally Posted by lexuslover
ours has been spazzing out in the recent winter months and i'm wondering if any of the cold weather members can comment . perhaps i should start another thread later too ...

we live in So Cal, and the CT is garaged. nights get into the 40's and the garage gets cold. when i get into the car first thing in the AM, step on the brake, green light comes on the push button start, and hit it, the "READY" light doesn't come on immediately. the nav screen doesn't flip open, and usually it acts like it's thinking about something. sometimes, the backlit keys on the console buttons flicker like they are about go out or i'm low on battery.

i have to push START again anywhere from 2-10 more times, each time the green light on the button is lit and ready to start, but it just doesn't want to turn on.

i brought this up to the dealer and even had them keep the car overnight in the cold and try in the morning and of course i get the "could not replicate" and went to pick up the car.

once i get going and have been driving and the car and weather is warm, it's no problem starting the rest of the day. it's only first thing cold start in the AM.

anyone experience the same thing? i actually have taken video on my iphone showing that the start button is lit green and my finger pushing it repeatedly without the car starting. i want to get a few more days like that so i have something to show the dealer next time. very frustrating. i know from 2 months experience that it will ALWAYS start (i.e., i'm not afraid it'll leave me stranded somewhere), but you just don't know if you are going to be sitting there for 90 seconds pushing that damn button before it decides to be READY.
When I lived in upstate NY it got to zero and below and I did not experience that, the only thing I did experience was the remote start would not work on some of those mornings and I had to go out to start it to warm up before leaving