CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

I got in an accident! CT200h creamed by a 2019 Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-19, 03:25 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,654 Posts
Default I got in an accident! CT200h creamed by a 2019 Toyota

OK not too bad I hope. Everyone was ok. Guy decided to pull into my lane from a dead stop at the last second as I was traveling about 30 mph. Surprisingly his car sustained little damage. Hit me right at the right soft spot I guess.

Old 07-28-19, 03:41 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like your wheels are also affected. How did it went with the other person? Did he admit fault? Did you ask for his insurance and make a claim yet?
Old 07-28-19, 08:23 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Same thing happened to me. Other party came out yelling, I put them in their place. They said they will call the cops on me, I said go ahead because I am doing the same right now.

Cops come, talk to us, other party lies, cops gather to watch dashcam video, laughter ensues, cops tell me after they are done laughing that the other party is getting cited. Other party gets really quiet.

Get a dashcam if you don't have one already! Hope everything works out for you!
Old 07-29-19, 06:41 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yup filed a claim and yes ive had a dash cam since around 2013/2014 ish. Very well worth it!

The couple was from TX and just got out of the airport. they were very nice and so was I. I told them no worries it happens. Though I have had people try to lie before so I know the feeling.

I sent the pic to my friend and asked him to guess how much it'll be to fix. He guessed $3,500. I guessed $5,500. The body shop lady guessed $5,000.

Just got the estimate today and it's $5,600. It's at a Lexus approved body shop.

I'm curious if they'll have to pull the "frame" a little because right beneath the quarter panel is some inner structure and i'm pretty sure that got tweaked. whatever the case i'm sure it'll get taken care of one way or the other.

Renting a 2018 Camry and while it's decent to drive... it makes me realize how much I miss my Lexus. Even though the CT is the cheapest in the lexus family, it's evident how much better quality it is than even a new Camry. The camry doors sound extremely cheap when shut. i cringe when i shut them.. like i just broke something. And when you look at the mirrors, you can see inside the mirrors past the glass gap, and see the cheap plastic manufacturing moldings lines inside.. the Lexus glass fits flush so you don't see all that through the gap. don't take your Lexuses for granted! the CT isn't the best quality but they did put some effort into it vs. a Toyota.

Here are some more photos

Last edited by E46CT; 07-29-19 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-29-19, 06:50 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

^apparently the whole quarter panel will have to be replaced which extends all the way to the a pillar. which means the windshield and rear quarter glass has to come out. They put the rear wheel down for a "Refinish" but i'm really skeptical they can put it back to like new like it was before..
Old 07-29-19, 07:40 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Lexus approved shop" Can you get back at Lexus if they did a poor job?
Old 07-29-19, 09:12 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

No. The entity that performs the work is ultimately responsible for any workmanship deficiencies.

The dealer that referred me to the shop I went to is arguably the most prestigious Lexus dealer in SoCal, and maybe the country. So if they send their cars there, I feel good about it.
Old 07-31-19, 02:44 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Glade all parties were ok.

Several years ago I had ran into some metal "A" frame carrier that fell off a pickup truck and scooted across the two lane road at pitch dark night. There were traffic around me so I can't get out of the way so it hit my driver's side 1/3 bumper and took it out along with the headlight and fog light and crumpled my entire front fender and took out my side mirror. Scratchedy driver side glass and door. Lucky my windshield escaped any damages. Blew out my rear driver side tire. No real "structural damage". Guess what the repair bill was? This was like less than a couple of years after I bought it new. Final repair bill was like $14K! All got repaired with NEW OEM parts at the largest Lexus dealership in SoCal (entire west coast). EXCELLENT body work.

Make sure to ask what kind of parts will be used. New OEM vs USED OEM vs NEW LOOK ALIKE THIRD PARTY vs OLD LOOK ALIKE THIRD PARTY? The initial estimate by my insurance company was for "NON OEM" or "equivalent" (whatever that means) parts and was around $8K at some small mom and pop body shop. I refused and insisted NEW OEM but the insurance company gave me a lot of push back bc I did not buy an "OEM RIDER" option. After a lot of negotiations with the insurance company and the Lexus body shop all got done. BTW, (at least in CA), the insurance company can not tell you and force you to go to ANY specific body shop. They will try!!! You have the LEGAL right to take the car to ANY BODY SHOP YOU LIKE.

They offered "LIFETIME WARRANTY" as long as I own the car. Don't know if this is just a gimmick, but after some three years it is still looking new and hard to tell if anything ever happened by me. I'm sure an expert can tell.

Originally Posted by E46CT
No. The entity that performs the work is ultimately responsible for any workmanship deficiencies.

The dealer that referred me to the shop I went to is arguably the most prestigious Lexus dealer in SoCal, and maybe the country. So if they send their cars there, I feel good about it.
Old 07-31-19, 12:07 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yep. I'm in the insurance biz so I know a thing or two

I got them to order a new lexus quarter panel. and the bumper too.

fighting with them on paying the bumper though. its only a few bucks more.

post pics of your 14k repair.

the largest lexus dealer is Longo so i'm sure you meant them. unfortunately i live far from them
Old 08-02-19, 02:22 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I only can find two pics at the moment.
Please see below. The small dent on the A pillar and driver's side door and driver's side glass are hard to tell, but they were there.

I pulled up my invoice and see that the total bill was approximately $12K at the body shop. But I had to pay for ONE OEM replacement tire (in order to drive it to somewhere safe for later transport back to SoCal). Also I paid $650 for transportation on a semi autocarrier some 2100 miles back to the Lexus dealership in SoCal for repairs (the insurance company agreed to pay the other $650 as I remember). I was traveling at the time. So, after adding it all up it was approximately $14K. The insurance company reimbursed me for the new tire and installation/balancing.

Yep. I'm in the insurance biz so I know a thing or two

I got them to order a new lexus quarter panel. and the bumper too.

fighting with them on paying the bumper though. its only a few bucks more.

post pics of your 14k repair.

the largest lexus dealer is Longo so i'm sure you meant them. unfortunately i live far from them
Old 08-02-19, 02:36 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

damn that's rough. you still have that car?

Body shop said parts for my car arrive today and they will begin repairs Monday. it's like watching paint dry. i'm going to go over everything with a fine tooth comb.. that or not give a S and drive away cause i just want my car back. LOL we'll see.
Old 08-02-19, 03:32 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes. After the repair it was like nothing had happened!!! I still got the car!!! I got my RCF back in October 2015 and just can't stand the lack of power in the CT200h, but I use my CT200h as a commuter car and I leave it at the airport when I fly out. Not sure I want to leave my RCF at the airport. So I guess I'll keep the CT200h for now.

My repair took some two months+ because there were a lot of going back and forth between the Lexus dealership body shop and my insurance company. Supplements and supplements on parts....... At pick up I was given a stack of papers detailing all parts that were replaced...... I was also given a TOTAL walk around and full inspection and ask questions before I drove off. BTW, the Lexus dealership body shop took delivery of my damaged CT200h when the auto transportor truck driver dropped it off without me there. I was there on pickup where I wrecked the CT200h. So the whole process was seamless and very smooth. I was able to continue on with my life and just keep in contact with the auto transportor driver and the Lexus dealership body shop. So I saw my wrecked CT200h got picked up and put on the auto transportor and the next time I saw it was all fixed ready to be picked up 😁!!!

Auto transportor picking up my wrecked CT200h some almost 4 years ago....

Pictures of AFTER the repairs.....

damn that's rough. you still have that car?

Body shop said parts for my car arrive today and they will begin repairs Monday. it's like watching paint dry. i'm going to go over everything with a fine tooth comb.. that or not give a S and drive away cause i just want my car back. LOL we'll see.

Last edited by lexusrus; 08-02-19 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-09-19, 04:05 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

^Nice repair.

Checked on car today. Here's the progress. They said it will be ready next Friday. Can't wait... new OEM Lexus quarter panel (you can see the Toyota logo) and new Lexus bumper to go on.

It will be getting new paint blended halfway into the driver door and (i assume) halfway onto the rear hatch. The entire quarter all the way to the a pillar will be resprayed.

Old 08-19-19, 09:40 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Completion date got delayed. On target to be finished Thursday. That would be a 26-day repair. I guess half the interior has to come apart, the doors come off (or at least the rear to repair it), the jambs painted. Then reassembled, aligned, detailed. It didn't seem like that big of a job by looking at the pics. I think the windshield has to come out too.

Can't wait to get out of this rental corolla.
Old 08-19-19, 10:49 AM
ramenboy
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

sorry, late to the party, but glad you're ok and that the ct is getting fixed the right way.

i was in an accident too a few weeks ago, but not with my ct. idiot crossed in front of me from the opposite direction without signaling or slowing down. low sided on the motorcycle. he got the ticket; so insurance will cover everything.

i agree with what you say about toyota/lexus quality. we were in sacramento last week for my mom's bday. were in a camry also, and while i do like the car, the fit and finish were no where near the ct, even though it was the cheapest of the lexus family. funny... my girlfriend has a prius, my sister and nieces all have priuses (is the plural of prius 'prii?') and my brother-in-law is driving a volt. hands down, the ct beats them all on looks and quality

hope you get the car back soon!

Quick Reply: I got in an accident! CT200h creamed by a 2019 Toyota