CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

How to clean the evaporator core?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-13, 08:44 PM
blascelles
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean the evaporator core?

Does anyone know where to connect the evaporator core cleaner? The foam cleaner has a tube that connects to...

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-05-13, 10:55 AM
blascelles
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blascelles
Does anyone know where to connect the evaporator core cleaner? The foam cleaner has a tube that connects to...

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Well...I found the drain on firewall on the passenger side and emptied the entire contents of the can as instructed. The liquid dripped back down the tube and no more funky smell. The dealer charges around $150 for this type of service and the foam canister was only $11 on Summit. The dealer also didn't want to sell me the foam either, just the aerosol spray (bomb) for inside the cabin ($49).

Happy Motoring.
Old 06-05-13, 11:34 AM
Billisme
Driver

nice. I wonder if this is a common problem? At least it's good to know you can do it yourself and not have to take it to the dealership.
Old 06-06-13, 09:36 AM
blascelles
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Billisme
nice. I wonder if this is a common problem? At least it's good to know you can do it yourself and not have to take it to the dealership.
This happened on my gf's 2011 BMW 328i last year. However she took it to the dealer and they did the service.

If you run the fresh air vent when you run the A/C you shouldn't have a problem, or switch to fresh air before you reach your destination.

Needless to say we are both on fresh air ventilation.
Old 06-07-13, 10:57 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts
Default A/C cleaning

I have used a similar product called Einszett Klima Cleaner on a few cars and their instructions are to insert it into the center dash vents to let the foam surround and clean the evaporator. It works very well. I do not see how shooting it up the water drain tube could accomplish as thorough a cleaning.

http://www.1z-usa.com/klima-cleaner_application.html

Years ago I was at my local Honda dealer when they had terrible A/C mold problems and this was before the invention of products like Klima Cleaner or BG Frigi Fresh. The dealer had cases of Lysol spray disenfectant which they advised were sprayed in all the vents inside and outside the car!

Last edited by Clutchless; 06-07-13 at 10:59 AM. Reason: More Data!
Old 06-23-13, 08:58 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

If you run the fresh air vent when you run the A/C you shouldn't have a problem, or switch to fresh air before you reach your destination.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 07-03-13, 11:37 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sewell Lexus Parts sells a 2 step Toyota AC refresher kit fir about $20.

My local Lexus dealer did mine under warranty at 10 months for free.

I was also told to switch to outside air rather than recirculate prior to shutting down to park.

JR
Old 09-02-16, 08:45 AM
LemonPro
Driver School Candidate

This happened on my gf's 2011 BMW 328i last year. However she took it to the dealer and they did the service.

Needless to say we are both on fresh air ventilation.
For your information the Foul Odor you are getting is not caused by dirty filters, it is caused by Stagnate Water that is not draining from the Evaporator drain hole, The cleaning stuff you buy is Useless to clean with and the Odor will return.
The fact is there is no repair for this Foul Odor and Lexus states that fact, not all vehicle with get that Foul Odor but some vehicle will get it. I know I am a lemon law expert and mechanic with over 40 years hand on experience.
If you want a temporary repair just like the one the dealership offer for over $100 do it or you can do what I do on my customers cars.
Here is what I do, I use 2 oz of bleach in 1 qt of water and spray it into the air vents with the AC on Fan on High and the engine is running, all door open. This will kill the bacteria and give you fresh air for all summer. You must allow all of the bleach smell to exit the vehicle before driving. All fans on high and all door or window open until clear before driving. This does work and cause no harm to any parts.