CT200h or Audi A3 tdi

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-13, 08:30 PM
Rafv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CT200h or Audi A3 tdi

Hi there!
I drive...a lot! I traded in my beloved Acura MDX two years ago for a Honda civic hybrid due to ridiculous gas expenses. The only problem is I hate driving the civic! I'm ready for a change but want to stick with something fuel efficient. I've narrowed down my choices to the CT200h and Audi A3. Anybody have an opinion they would be kind enough to share regarding the comparison between the two? Was anybody considering the A3 but bought the ct instead? Regrets?
I appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks so much for your help!
Old 02-01-13, 06:16 AM
hybridlexy
Rookie

I test drove both before I bought my CT.
The Audi can look quite awesome on the exterior, especially with the titanium package, s-line added - I do like the look of the interior as well...however, what really sold me on the CT is really the quality of the interior.

IMO, the Audi interior was good looking, but cheap. Lots of hard plastic everywhere. The CT's interior is far superior.
Old 02-01-13, 08:18 PM
ACowabunga
Driver School Candidate

I compared them both when getting my CT. The two main things that won me over were:

1. The CT takes 87 octane and the A3 takes diesel. Here in So Cal, the price for diesel is usually hovering around the same price as 91. With the miles per tank roughly about the same, I calculated that I was going to have a lower yearly gas bill for myself.

2. The service departments - I have a great service consultant to whom I bring my S5 to but there are never any loaners available. With Lexus, they have fleets of loaners and the service is just as good, if not slightly better.

All in all, both cars are great. I just think that overall, the cost of maintenance, gas, and the loaner car issue helped make my decision.

P.S. I got a really good deal with the ordered Lexus as opposed to the dealers who wanted me to pay just under the sticker price for the TDI. That was another factor all in itself. Good luck with the purchase.
Old 02-02-13, 10:37 AM
SCCT200H
Driver School Candidate

I had a 2007 A3. It was a fun and spirited car to drive. It had a wonderful sound system, attractive interior and exterior and substantial power. I did not have the TDI and I still thought the gas milage was good in the 2.0T. I don't think you can compare the two cars. I now have the CT and I like the car. The A3 was much more powerful. Diesel fuel is quite pricey in my area which would a fact against the TDI for me. If gas milage was not a factor for me, I'd go with another A3. I had the car through 75,000 miles and no major repair issues. It did eat tires though.
Old 02-02-13, 09:00 PM
hdave
Driver

lots of city driving = ct200h
50/50 or more hwy = a3
Old 02-06-13, 02:29 PM
CTKai
Driver School Candidate

hdave said it all

my last car was a TDI and i do 50/50 or more hwy and i can't keep thinking about A3 TDI.
Old 02-07-13, 10:12 PM
zallez
Driver School Candidate

i was thinking about the same thing, but bought CT instead. i almost think, they are two different cars. in the TDI, i believe you will get more than 100 lbs of torque over the CT. so, the drive should be a bit more spirited (to say the least). that is something you will feel. they list TDI getting 30 mpg (City), but i always question sticker. the CT is quieter (hybrid). In LA, diesel can cost .40 more than regular gas. so, you have to factor that. on this post, someone brought up factor of price. they don't really mark down tdi because of limited availability. i got 4500 off the sticker. so, was really happy!

have been driving car for two weeks and i could say i love it. it is fun, has pep, but its not like whip lash fast, like say a 370z. hopefully this helps. goodluck.
Old 02-09-13, 04:01 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Can't really comment on the A3 but I will on the CT and Civic Hybrid.

I was one of the first to own a CT in March 2011 and two years later zero regrets. In fact I tend to change my cars well before 2 years so this is a testament to the CT exceeding my expectations. I was eyeing the 2014 IS in the hope the 300h would be available in NA but since that's out, the CT will continue to fulfill my needs really well in the near term. My colleague has a Civic hybrid and I have been in it several times. He averages about 35 mpg mostly city and with the CT, expect at least in the low 40s. I personally get over 50 in 99% city driving but I do stay within the sweet zones (under 45 mph, and use the "pulse + glide" technique almost religiously). You will need to slightly adjust your driving habits to the CT if you want to optimize the fuel consumption since the Honda's IMA system operates more like a conventional engine.

Long story short, moving up from a Civic hybrid, you get:
1. At least 20% improved fuel economy
2. Bullet-proof Lexus reliability, quality, and refinement (better than Honda and especially Audi)
3. Superior sound suppression (I found the Civic's wind and tire noise pretty bad)
4. Sportier driving dynamics, though firmer ride.

The CT's only downside in my books is power (but expected) and the lack of a sexy engine note under heavy throttle and I think this is where the A3 coupled with a manual or DSG tranny would have the upper hand - but at the expense of higher fuel costs.
Old 02-12-13, 10:20 AM
Studio5
Driver School Candidate

Was at my local Audi dealer yesterday, as I am shopping for either the A3 or CT. For what it is worth, I had a 2011 RX350 before it was stolen. I ended up buying a BMW M3. My wife also owned a 2001 Audi A4. So, I think I can offer my expertise, based on previous experience with both Audi and Lexus.

The Quattro system is the best all-wheel drive system in the market. It drives and handles better than the Lexus AWD system. Unfortunately, the TDI doesn't come with it. Big no-no. The interior of the TDI is very minimalistic. Quite shocking, since the A5 is such a beauty. None of the metro Washington DC area dealers have an A3 with navigation system and they are very difficult to locate. The CT interior is more luxurious. I didn't bother to test drive the A3, since it was pretty much the same price as the CT without the navigation and diesel is 40 cents more than regular gas. If you do the math, you will be ahead with the CT.

Furthermore, Audi is discontinuing the A3 line for 2014. It may not matter for a lot of people, but I like to see continuity with the models being offered. The BMW 3-series comes to my mind. In any case, I probably will wind up buying a CT. I just have to decide whether to get the Pearl White or Silver.
Old 02-12-13, 08:14 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Studio5
Was at my local Audi dealer yesterday, as I am shopping for either the A3 or CT. For what it is worth, I had a 2011 RX350 before it was stolen. I ended up buying a BMW M3. My wife also owned a 2001 Audi A4. So, I think I can offer my expertise, based on previous experience with both Audi and Lexus.

The Quattro system is the best all-wheel drive system in the market. It drives and handles better than the Lexus AWD system. Unfortunately, the TDI doesn't come with it. Big no-no. The interior of the TDI is very minimalistic. Quite shocking, since the A5 is such a beauty. None of the metro Washington DC area dealers have an A3 with navigation system and they are very difficult to locate. The CT interior is more luxurious. I didn't bother to test drive the A3, since it was pretty much the same price as the CT without the navigation and diesel is 40 cents more than regular gas. If you do the math, you will be ahead with the CT.

Furthermore, Audi is discontinuing the A3 line for 2014. It may not matter for a lot of people, but I like to see continuity with the models being offered. The BMW 3-series comes to my mind. In any case, I probably will wind up buying a CT. I just have to decide whether to get the Pearl White or Silver.
If interested in the 3-series, Any chance to wait a few months for the '14 IS? If not, A+ on the CT and my personal preference is the Pearl White over the silver.
Old 02-14-13, 10:54 AM
Studio5
Driver School Candidate

CorradoMR2...I already have a M3. Love it. I just hate to use it to commute to work and put unnecessary wear and tear on the car. I will probably get the Pearl White. Just debating whether to go with the 2012 or 2013. Dealer is offering good deal on the 2012 but once I leave the lot, the value goes down dramatically. Maybe better to lease the vehicle rather than own it? See see.
Old 02-14-13, 02:38 PM
portishead
Driver School Candidate

I had a 2006 A3 for about 6 years before I got my CT. I would say... I really like the CT. It is slow as a dog, but it gets pretty good milage. The interior is nice, and it's still smooth and comfortable to drive. But the A3 was my favorite car I've ever owned. If it was for an A3 now, I'd say get the CT. But if you wait for the new model A3 to come, I would say maybe go with that.

I think the interior of the A3 is better. CT is not bad, but too much plastic. I would say both cars are really nice, but on opposite ends of the spectrum of hatchbacks. A3 is sporty, fast, better interior and better looking. CT is really good milage, still luxurious, looks nice except the rear isn't great. If you don't mind paying extra for gas, get the A3. A3 also has quite a bit more cargo room. I am possibly going to trade in my Subaru Legacy for the new A3, or maybe the CT. I'm not sure yet.
Old 02-14-13, 02:42 PM
portishead
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Studio5
Furthermore, Audi is discontinuing the A3 line for 2014.
This is not true, please don't spread false information:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/05/2...-drive-review/
http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...-audi-a3-sedan
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...a3-future-cars

They're supposedly not releasing the hatchback in the US, but that's not even confirmed I don't think.
Old 02-14-13, 03:16 PM
Studio5
Driver School Candidate

Sorry. Be my guest and call FSK Audi in Maryland and ask them. They are discontinuing the hatchbacks. The sedan is rumored to be coming out, but not confirmed. It wouldn't do any good to introduce an A3 sedan when they already have the A4 sedan.
Old 02-14-13, 07:46 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Lexus has a better interior, better reliability, better dealer experience, cheaper gas, and other things.
The Audi would be more fun to drive if you want to go faster. It looks great especially with the sport package. If you do more highway than compare the difference between mileage and gas price difference to see what is better

Quick Reply: CT200h or Audi A3 tdi