CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

So many used CTs for sale - why ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 09:37 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So many used CTs for sale - why ?

There seem to be a ton of used CTs for sale with low miles.
I'm wondering why. People jumping on the hybrid bandwagon that weren't prepared to do so?
I think you have to be ready for the change.... I'm ready to spend less on fuel.
I drove a 12' model last year while on a test drive with a friend. I didn't give it a whole lot of thought at the time but I'm growing tired of the 20mpg mixed/heavy traffic city in my rx300. I would miss the awd for sure
Old 01-31-13, 01:59 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in So Cal, a lot of dealers use them as loaners because (1) they are cheaper than RX's and ES's and (2) it helps grow interest in the hybrids for customers that haven't tried them before.

i would suspect most of the low mile CTs are loaners that are being retired, not owners who decided to get rid of them.
Old 01-31-13, 04:16 PM
tk1971
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO:

It appears that the CT, being the "starter" Lexus is an odd duck in the USA. The hatch styling is not as popular as in Europe. The sporty look and stance of the car does not really match the hybrid drive train (but both the looks and the drive train were exactly the reasons I bought this car).

Also, being small is at odds with what a Lexus represents to most people, which is a large, roomy, comfy, and isolating ride. In addition, having a more "sporty" suspension setup, the CT is not as cushy/comfy, and to top it all off, being a hybrid kinda makes the "sporty" suspension a moot point.

Also, sharing the same drive train as a Prius inevitably invites direct comparisons between the two, with the end results perceived as follows:
1) Same Engine / tranny, but less MPG than a Prius;
2) Despite similar exterior dimensions, it's noticeably more roomy in the Prius. My brother, who owns a Prius says my CT has "bigger" furniture;
3) Depending on the trim levels of the cars being compared, the seemingly large price gap between the two.

Having said that, people who flip cars do so because they've found their "next" car. It wouldn't surprise me at all if a fair amount of the low mileage used CT's were lease cars.
Old 01-31-13, 04:36 PM
All4sho350
Lead Lap

please correct me if im wrong..i recall a really good lease offer when the car was introduced in 2011 thus these are returned leases..
Old 01-31-13, 06:19 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, lease turn ins and loaner cars going on lots. Also the ES 300h coming out
Old 01-31-13, 10:21 PM
Wassa786
Driver

most of the ones I see on sales are used as loaners and/or by real estate
Old 02-01-13, 06:51 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Im thinking about the comment on the loaners.

Thats gotta be it since usually the leases are more than a year or two. Just looked, theres one with 6,265miles, and others with

This past tuesday I told myself that for the first time in life I would own an american car. There are so many good cars out on the market right now and a car should be chosen based on the needs of the individual and the use needed right.... with that said, I got in the wifes GS430 yesterday and im second guessing my statement.
I have a 94' 1GS since 01' and its under heavy surgery now.
We had a 2gs3 and swaped up to a 2gs430 and have my RX300 daily.

Got my brother into a IS3 and none of them have ever needed anything other than maintenance and we're not easy on the GS430.

So... this CT200h you guys like them ? I think ill need to drive one again, but im not really on board with a $500-650 payment each month...
Old 02-01-13, 09:37 AM
tk1971
Rookie

Originally Posted by twojayzee
Im thinking about the comment on the loaners.

...snip...

So... this CT200h you guys like them ? I think ill need to drive one again, but im not really on board with a $500-650 payment each month...
My wife and I love the CT. The shiny red exterior with caramel seats make it a looker. My driving style has actually mellowed out since having kids, so I don't need the acceleration of my previous cars (WRX, EVO).

I commute with the CT about 90 miles a day, so a reliable, low-maintenance hybrid makes sense. I absolutely hate the looks of the Prius, so the CT is perfect for me. Plus, in CA, a hybrid means no smog checks (ever), so I may actually keep this car for more than 5 years.

Need to haul things? No problem... I've still got my Expedition.

Need to go fast and furious? No problem... 2 motorcycles in the garage (getting less and less attention with every passing year).

IMO, hybrids are the perfect commuter vehicle. When traffic thickens and slows, MPG's actually increase, while it decreases for non-hybrids.
Old 02-01-13, 09:47 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tk1971
My wife and I love the CT. The shiny red exterior with caramel seats make it a looker. My driving style has actually mellowed out since having kids, so I don't need the acceleration of my previous cars (WRX, EVO).

I commute with the CT about 90 miles a day, so a reliable, low-maintenance hybrid makes sense. I absolutely hate the looks of the Prius, so the CT is perfect for me. Plus, in CA, a hybrid means no smog checks (ever), so I may actually keep this car for more than 5 years.

Need to haul things? No problem... I've still got my Expedition.

Need to go fast and furious? No problem... 2 motorcycles in the garage (getting less and less attention with every passing year).

IMO, hybrids are the perfect commuter vehicle. When traffic thickens and slows, MPG's actually increase, while it decreases for non-hybrids.
I only drive 36 miles round trip but its about 1hr each direction sitting on the freeway.
The wife has her GS430, sold my bikes but I have the GS3 thats going to have around 600RWHP for the fun occasional driver. A 4x4 to beat up and I could tow if absolutly necessary. But have no room to have a trailer due to my HOA. And I like it that way... but it prevents me from towing these toys (links below)

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10209

http://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/341445-project-effjjay-eighty-2uz-powered.html
Old 02-01-13, 12:45 PM
jngjng
Driver School Candidate

yep a lot of loaners. check carfax, it usually says something like "dealer took title of this vehicle while it was in inventory"
Old 02-02-13, 02:20 AM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah probably loaners