CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Review: Road Magnet Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-12, 08:18 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Review: Road Magnet Springs

I purchased my 2013 CT in the beginning of November. Yes, it has been less than a month. One of the mods i wanted to do first was to lower it. There is a limited market for lowering springs for the CT. There were only a few options. I had never heard of Road Magnet, but i wanted to give them a shot.

Out of the box, the springs look high quality. Mine came powdercoated a nice blue color, pretty close to the FSport blue. Installation was pretty straight forward, and they went in with no complications. I did an alignment right after install, and was able to get all of the numbers within factory tolerances.

After about 300 miles of driving, ive come to enjoy these springs. The ride quality is pretty nice. The CT FSport has a firm ride to begin with, these firmed it up a bit and gave it a decent ride. As far as ride height goes, i was able to get a good drop, F: 1.25" R: 1.5".. Its still pretty early, so they may settle more over time. But im pretty happy with it. Some people dont like the bigger cap in the front fender well than the rear, but the body itself is level and flat.

The car gets a lot of looks, and im really happy with the springs. Ill definitely look at Road Magnet for springs on future vehicles.. they worked out quite well.

Before:

After:

Old 11-29-12, 08:04 AM
m R g S r
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks so much better!!! Can't wait to get those tanabe springs for mine
Old 11-29-12, 08:08 AM
m R g S r
Pole Position

Btw did you get under the car when the springs stew installed? How much adjustability do you have with the OEM camber adjustment? Sorry I haven't gotten under mine yet. (Which is weird for me, every car I've owned has been modded immediately by me lol)
Old 11-29-12, 09:21 AM
bsmoov
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant do springs. Coilovers only for me. I need to be able to adjust as I please. Too many variables can change while you are "stuck" at said ride height/clearance.

For example: wider wheels, aggressive offsets, spacers, lip kits, etc...

All those can work or made to work with coilovers (raise car up, make adjustments, test fit, roll/pull fenders properly and immediately re-test. Or go low to do a photo shoot or go higher if you're going to be in an area with certain terrain (dips/steep driveways/rough roads)

That's just me though. Kudos to those who can live with it or doesn't bother them.

Last edited by bsmoov; 11-29-12 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-29-12, 09:27 AM
smanzanoRN
Driver School Candidate

Interesting read tanabe or road magnet? Where did you purchase them and at what price?
Old 11-29-12, 02:07 PM
m R g S r
Pole Position

^me? I just called up LSD motor sports for the tanabe NF springs. Ordered over the phone cuz they're not listed on the site. But they were $285 shipped.

The road magnets are most likely better for performance, the spring rates are higher. The tanabes are most likely to provide softer ride, because of lower spring rates. I haven't received mine yet, but I'm hoping the ride is just slightly firmer than stock.

And I'm not being a girl about this, I've had race coil overs in multiple cars, that's not the ride I'm
Going for in this car.

But everyone's opinion on ride quality is just that....an opinion. My dad feels my CT rides way too rough for his liking, he loved the way his LS460L rode..,
It's just something to keep in mind.
Old 11-29-12, 02:09 PM
m R g S r
Pole Position

Also. The OP's car seems pretty level to me. (From the pic) and the road magnet springs list more of a drop in the rear than front (albeit not much, .25")
The tanabe springs list even drop all around. So the front may appear lower on a car with tanabe springs...
Old 11-29-12, 02:22 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Some of the best springs on the market IMO. I had them on my IS350 and they were great. OP I am almost positive they still have to settle for you, mine gave me a full 2" drop.

Ill try to dig up an old picture
Old 11-29-12, 02:33 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

This is on 18's

19's

Old 11-29-12, 05:48 PM
m R g S r
Pole Position

I wouldn't count on "settling" .75 and .5" (To bring it to 2" all around) Completely different vehicle, springs, suspension geometry etc etc.
the IS springs are listed for 2" drop.

I say "settle" because remember F = - k*x
As long as you're not compressing the spring enough until plastic deformation occurs (reaching the materials yield strength) it shouldn't "settle"

Last edited by m R g S r; 11-29-12 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-30-12, 11:02 PM
yamaturkey
Rookie

so How to install the spring???
Old 01-01-13, 11:47 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

w/ the higher spring rates ... how does the ride compare to oem or the f sport springs?
Old 01-02-13, 07:20 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chargerfan
w/ the higher spring rates ... how does the ride compare to oem or the f sport springs?
Hard to say for 100%, since i have the FSport swaybars as well. But it doesnt ride harsh.. certainly stiffer than stock, but unbearable.
Old 01-03-13, 12:01 AM
Dc5nomore
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks very good for springs! I've never had springs before just full coilover systems. With those springs would I have to worry about my shocks blowing etc.?
Old 01-03-13, 12:03 AM
Dc5nomore
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RTIS250 do you have any pictures of your cars rear by chance ?

Quick Reply: Review: Road Magnet Springs