CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Do you feel your CT is grossly underpowered?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-15, 01:29 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom59
Didn't you test drive it......mine has gotten better about 10,000 mile mark it started feeling better- broken in.
I bought mine knowing full well it lacked oomph....most cars that get a consistent 44mpg are lacking. Mine handles excellent and the power is sufficient but I grew up with some seriously weak 4cylinders from the 60'-70's and 80's......this one is a power house. Ever drive a 1970 Opel Cadet.....yeah didn't think so.
We lived on a big hill and you almost had to get out and push by the long part of it. Down shift into 2nd gear by the top of the hill.....it went GREAT down the hill.

I do think they could make another version using the 2.0l Turbo. CT200t - 250hp and make it tuner friendly. I luv my CT -
I knew exactly my problem. I constantly switch from the GS to CT and that messes with my head.

But a little more kick from the electric motor would be nice, instant torque from zero. I think the electric motor is too small.

Originally Posted by hookah66
Yes, it is underpowered but it is a lot more driveable than Prius. CT200h got superior suspension, and is equipped with low profile tires. The lateral shock brace mounted across the MacPherson towers does an incredible job in giving lateral support as you enter a curve. Changed to aftermarket Michelin Primacy MXM4 and you will find it softer and grips the asphalt much better than OEM Michelins. Making few minor improvements will help a lot: installed dry sythentic air filter, changed Nippondenso spark (ND SC20HR11 laser iridium) @ 50K miles, etc.. I am getting consistently 50.4 mpg (temperature dependent: yes here in sunshine FL but NOT in frigid NJ) and able to maintain cruising speed of 60-65 mph. Initial acceleration from 0-40 mph is lethargic, but from 45-65 mph is acceptable. PS: A/C use does not affect mpg, as matter of fact driving with windows/sun roof closed reduces drag.
The Prius u have to floor it to get it moving.
Old 10-23-15, 07:29 AM
greexembou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Dear Friend, a lot of people that do not understand the ecological logic behind hybrid ECO mode have this feeling.
Remember it's your car and you have an amazing option: use sport mode each time you drive !
If that's not enough than don't buy a hybrid for now.

I got much more driving pleasure once i understood that my CT feels better on Sport mode when: merging in a highway, accelerating to overpass a slow truck, on steep hills and sometimes on dense fast traffic. The rest of the time I love the silence and smoothnes of my CT200h Lexus Hybrid !
Old 10-23-15, 08:01 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

How's ur MPG when in Sport mode? My dad is the primary driver of the CT and he said when he's in Sport mode the MPG gets ugly. It does pull quicker though when u need that extra kick.
Old 10-23-15, 08:39 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Having the SPORT mode engaged you actually get better MPG if you don't go WOT on every stop. My wife commutes in the car and loves sport mode. Use it sparingly and you get better MPG than in regular mode since in those modes you REALLY have to drive slow or otherwise you have to floor it sometimes just to pass traffic.

After nearly 100k miles on our CT, my wife has it perfected. I do admit when I drive the car, it drops about 10mpg but it's rewards you at the pump when you fill up. Going from my high performance cars to the CT, it does feel under-powered but I compare it to a surgeon using the right tool for the right job.

If you want to pass, zig-zag traffic the CT is definitely not the right car. Add up-hill climbs and it just makes things even worse. However if most of your driving is flat urban city driving, this is the perfect car even for a performance head like myself.

I always joke with my wife when she is in SPORT mode I get pegged in the passenger seat and she just rolls her eyes. Anyone who thinks the CT is a sports car is just kidding themselves. It definitely drives better than a Prius which is the direct market competition. On a recent trip from Portland, I want to add the car really HANDLES well with super supportive seats comparable to an s2000. There was a friendly s2000 owner we met on the highway and we were able to take the sweeping turns off I5 pretty well just lacked torque for those uphill climbs. Not a bad deal for 50mph+ *EDIT keeping your windows closed does reduce drag significantly so that helps MPG vs. open windows/sunroof which i enjoy.

Last edited by s4play; 10-23-15 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-26-15, 06:37 AM
Labirintus
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys!

I plan to buy a Ct200h. i look forward to more information about the power. I heard despite of the 140hp the car is litle bit slower what most of us expected. What do you think? Any experiences with compare to other veichles?

I found this video:

Old 10-26-15, 06:42 AM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's underpowered compared to chassis tune etc, but not lazy. Problem with e-CVT is that you don't feel anything and it gives an impression like nothing is happening You have to test drive it by yourself..

btw: We support Hungary!

Last edited by nacke; 10-26-15 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-26-15, 09:36 AM
motorhead
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nacke
It's underpowered compared to chassis tune etc, but not lazy. Problem with e-CVT is that you don't feel anything and it gives an impression like nothing is happening You have to test drive it by yourself..

btw: We support Hungary!
I gotta say im pleasantly surprised. You won't win any races but once you're up to speed there is plenty of passing power. I drove it home to KY from Charlotte NC Friday through the mountains and never had an issue passing. I'm coming from a turbo MINI and I'm not upset about the trade. And I agree about the cvt. There is no kick down but the passing power is there.

Last edited by Trexus; 10-28-15 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-28-15, 08:49 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Just don't slow down when going uphill or u'll have trouble getting back up to speed. I always speed up just before the uphill and use the momentum to help me maintain speed once it starts getting heavy. I saw a Prius C driver gunned it all the way too.

A bigger electric motor will help with the low end power on this car. Let the electric motor pulls from 0-40 and the gas engine can take over after that.