CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Do you feel your CT is grossly underpowered?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-12, 07:23 PM
rblover69
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
The CT has it's strong points but hills is definitely not one of them!

On a recent trim from Mount Shasta, I found the trick is to keep the momentum and speed up. If you get caught having to brake while going uphill, the power is seriously lacking to pick up speed again.

But again this is a hybrid that gets 42mpg+ so of course it won't pull like a V8 powered IS-F!!!! I think Lexus created a product that does well against it's only competitor: PRIUS

**On a side note, I was at the P-car dealer looking at my next car and was pleasantly surprised the Cayenne Turbo gets awesome gas mileage! 15 city/22 hwy for a 500hp super suv! The other suv I was looking at (X5M) gets a horrible 12 city/17 hwy
Lexus did not build the CT to compete with the Prius lol...why would a company compete with itself and cannibalize its own market. The CT was designed to compete with the 1series the lower Audi diesels and luxury touring cars. Is really a new take on the market considering they did not go with power they went with luxury and hybrid to set there mark along with great efficient design almost in every aspect. The CT in my view is the best in its category for Luxury and efficiency, but if you watch the keynote toyota doesn't compete with Toyota lol, it's clearly designed with a edge above what's out now in luxury efficiency and suspension ( multi link upfront double wishbone rear ) ....

I'm still amazed how this car handles......it's really amazing that with its weight it handles the way it does, the classis and suspension really went a ways in this car granted I have the. F Sport and springs and sways, but its truley a marvel for what it is in its category. And I'm coming from a chassis braced BSP 350z which is a curve carver...it's not Z but probably the most shocking aspect of this car beyond the common tidbits.

I recommended every stock CT if you desire to enjoy your car more to upgrade your suspension , there is a great difference from a stock CT to a F Sport SE. A stock CT basic is really a mess when you throw it in the turns without the upgrades.....the upgrades make the car that more enjoyable in sport mode in a nice flat apex . Just a amazing car considering the duel personality.

Last edited by rblover69; 07-15-12 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-16-12, 05:03 PM
VegasCT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the few days that I've had the car (coming from a G35 6-spd), I can honestly say I have NOT had any issues merging into traffic at freeway speeds. Underpowered...No. Slow...Yes
Old 07-29-12, 08:24 PM
DonShaw
Driver School Candidate

I wish our CTs would scoot just a little faster.
Old 07-30-12, 09:22 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasCT
In the few days that I've had the car (coming from a G35 6-spd), I can honestly say I have NOT had any issues merging into traffic at freeway speeds. Underpowered...No. Slow...Yes
+1

Same here. It seems to do fine at highway speeds for passing. Between the gas and electric engine it has plenty of torque. 70% of our driving is between 70-75mph.

Normal acceleration from lights is adequate.

The CT replaced our 05 Prius. It is way more comfortable and handles way better.

We are averaging slightly better than 40 mpg in the ~3,000 miles driven so far
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/flyct/ct200h

Maybe I feel this way because as my Grandson says, At 65 years old, I'm just Old and Slow.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 07-30-12 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-20-12, 07:14 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not an owner, but I had one for a loaner for a few weeks.

It was without a doubt, the most "peppy" hybrid that I have driven. I kept it in sport mode and treated it like a loaner if you know what I mean, and still couldn't get less than 40mpg. I was shifting and driving aggressively, and doing 75-80mph on the freeway.

I don't think you could ask for more with a small motor hybrid. I will probably replace the Honda we have with a CT in the future
Old 08-21-12, 12:33 PM
hookah66
Driver School Candidate

Folks ... why do you think CT200h is capable of 45+ mpg??? .... My super fast BMW e93 that can go from 0 to 60 mph in 5.1 seconds can only do 20 mpg if you foot lead the accelerator.
Old 08-21-12, 08:02 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I think part of the notion that it is underpowered is the loud racket and vibration it makes when you push it. It sounds like an econo box and sounds like it is really straining. Next time you stomp the throttle, blast the radio to deafening level to drown the motor noise and see if its a different experience
Old 08-22-12, 05:01 AM
midcow3
Instructor

Received 463 Likes on 291 Posts
Post Biased Title

Actually when you use the adjective "grossly", there can be only one answer NO.

I have driven performance cars and muscle cars all my life, well since my new 1970 Oldsmobile 442 Hurst 4-speed 455 cu in 365 hp car I got out of college.

The CTt200h actually has pretty good power and acceleration, definitely not "grossly underpowered". In straight out 0-60 acceleration it may be a little underpowered, but it is definitely sufficient to handle Houston interstate traffic, entrance ramps and merging.

The only thing the CT200h is really missing is a standard shift option.

Last edited by midcow3; 08-23-12 at 02:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-22-12, 03:49 PM
tk1971
Rookie

The Ct is about perfect for my needs. It's a small, easy to maneuver, comfortable, good looking commuter with high MPGs.

If I want speed, I'd go ride one of my motorcycles.
Old 08-24-12, 11:58 AM
CT9ARS
Driver School Candidate

Definitely underpowered. I'm still gettin used to the lack of power but coming from an Evo 8 which I had for 8 years and an SR powered 240 before that I guess I'm used to a lot more power lol.
But I didn't buy the CT for speed I bought it for the fantastic mpg. Looking at the dash and seeing avg mpg over 40 leaves a huge smile on my face and it's just so damn comfortable and barely any road noise is amazing for me.
Old 08-24-12, 02:13 PM
xis
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They need to put a turbo on that thing.

I would take the 30mpg average and 38hwy of the Veloster Turbo any day... Much better trade-off than just a few more MPG and no power of the CT... The veloster looks nicer too...and costs about 10K less or more..

Come on, Lexus....
Old 08-26-12, 06:29 AM
midcow3
Instructor

Received 463 Likes on 291 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by CT9ARS
Definitely underpowered. I'm still gettin used to the lack of power but coming from an Evo 8 which I had for 8 years and an SR powered 240 before that I guess I'm used to a lot more power lol.
But I didn't buy the CT for speed I bought it for the fantastic mpg. Looking at the dash and seeing avg mpg over 40 leaves a huge smile on my face and it's just so damn comfortable and barely any road noise is amazing for me.
And your Evo 8 would be underpowered compared to a Formula 1 race car.
Old 08-27-12, 07:55 AM
antondayak
Driver School Candidate

When I want porformance (that I really don't need ) I go for a drive in my 2012 Audi TT and waste some fuel.
Most of my driving is in the CT, which is comfortable, handles quite well and has enough performance for every situation.
Hookah66 nailed it.
Old 09-11-12, 02:52 PM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xis
They need to put a turbo on that thing.

I would take the 30mpg average and 38hwy of the Veloster Turbo any day... Much better trade-off than just a few more MPG and no power of the CT... The veloster looks nicer too...and costs about 10K less or more..

Come on, Lexus....
Come on you , the Velostar turbo gets 25-26 mpg TOPS all around go to Fuelly.com and look. In fact, they are being scrutinized for mileage exaggeration by the government right now. Also most people get around 30 mpg in the base model sans turbo.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rroyter/veloster

My car gets EASILY 43.5 mpg all around. I get 18-19 more mpg. I also get a quality built car with solid warranty backed by Lexus. Whereas a lot of Hyundai owners cannot get proper service. They are skirting their 10/100k drive train warranty using tricky wording.

I think the Velostar looks great for a 18yr old kid. Or at most up to 25yrs old. The lil' Lex made me buy one and I'm a lot older than 25 ..... I also test drove the initial version of the Velostar its WAY noiser can't imagine the turbo version is quieter.

Apples and Oranges .......Audi A3 is the only real competition.
Old 09-11-12, 03:08 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rblover69
Lexus did not build the CT to compete with the Prius lol...why would a company compete with itself and cannibalize its own market. The CT was designed to compete with the 1series the lower Audi diesels and luxury touring cars. Is really a new take on the market considering they did not go with power they went with luxury and hybrid to set there mark along with great efficient design almost in every aspect. The CT in my view is the best in its category for Luxury and efficiency, but if you watch the keynote toyota doesn't compete with Toyota lol, it's clearly designed with a edge above what's out now in luxury efficiency and suspension ( multi link upfront double wishbone rear ) ....

I'm still amazed how this car handles......it's really amazing that with its weight it handles the way it does, the classis and suspension really went a ways in this car granted I have the. F Sport and springs and sways, but its truley a marvel for what it is in its category. And I'm coming from a chassis braced BSP 350z which is a curve carver...it's not Z but probably the most shocking aspect of this car beyond the common tidbits.

I recommended every stock CT if you desire to enjoy your car more to upgrade your suspension , there is a great difference from a stock CT to a F Sport SE. A stock CT basic is really a mess when you throw it in the turns without the upgrades.....the upgrades make the car that more enjoyable in sport mode in a nice flat apex . Just a amazing car considering the duel personality.
I know Lexus would never build a car to complete against it's "own" but truthfully if you ask how many CT owners shopped a Prius, many did including myself. Yes they are not the same car but people put them together simply because there are not many viable competing hybrids right now. The A3 is nice but last time I checked they are around mid 30mpg?

My wife gets about 49 mpg (mostly highway) and I get about 42-43 around town locally which is amazing! Wifey's commute has a lot of valleys and it seems cross and head winds drastically affect the MPG just like a plane. With limited power any resistance will slow the car down quite a bit. She compares driving the CT as slow but steady (turtle like) whereas in our RX she feels like a hot rod race car

I admit the CT is a love/hate type relationship for me. I love the mpg and wagon type space for cruising around town and love the cheap fill-ups. However on days I need more power I'm glad I have other sports cars in our garage. Driving the CT is my only car I'd be bored out of my mind or REALLY feel like a senior citizen...haha

Whoever brought up the Hyyundai, c'mon really? A sub-compact toy car for kids is now a competitor to a grown-up Lexus hybrid? LOL People who buy or own this car knows damn well the good / bad and like myself we chose to own one for the positives. I don't drive much in my commute and even I appreciate the fuel savings. If I had long commutes this would be my top dog choice!

Quick Reply: Do you feel your CT is grossly underpowered?