CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Do you feel your CT is grossly underpowered?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-12, 08:57 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it underpowered? Sure but the seats are wonderful and the gas mileage makes up for power. You don't buy a CT for power.

I've owned everything from a 1970 VW Super Beetle to a ZR1 Corvette. That Corvette was fast BUT It was in the shop at least 5 times a year for problems related to quality, fortunately all covered by warranty. It had peeling clear coat on wheels, air conditioner computer failed, leaking window seals, etc etc etc. Our previous Prius never had a warranty issue in the 7 years of ownership and I expect the CT will be the same.

We use the CT as a primary car for a 250 mile 70 mph trip. I do not feel underpowered on the road.
Old 06-16-12, 10:35 PM
SpeyRod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fwiw,

I just drove from Ashland to Bandon via the Redwood Hwy and Hwy 101. The car handled great and I never felt a lack of power. When I went to pass people, must be done fast on these roads, it was no problem. We still averaged 42 mpg per the trip computer.

The best part? I topped off the tank before our trip, $24 and the tank was more than 1/2 empty. My Land Cruiser would have taken $75 for the same fill.
Old 06-17-12, 04:53 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Is it underpowered? Sure but the seats are wonderful and the gas mileage makes up for power. You don't buy a CT for power.
Well said!
Old 07-07-12, 12:10 PM
rblover69
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree , I never understand why people complain about power understanding the car is designed to be a fuel efficient sports handling touring car. Having 3 modified 350Zs I felt perfectly happy in a CT because I understood what I was driving.

That being said, the CT F Sport is a amazingly great handling car. Coming from the BSP FR scene, I would say that the CTs chassis and suspension setup handeling wise is by far the most impressive thing that literally made my jaw drop from a car that I can call destination assit from and sip a coffee at 52 mpg.
Old 07-11-12, 02:41 AM
willgs
Driver School Candidate

Beats a Prius
Old 07-11-12, 04:13 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by rblover69
I agree , I never understand why people complain about power understanding the car is designed to be a fuel efficient sports handling touring car. Having 3 modified 350Zs I felt perfectly happy in a CT because I understood what I was driving.

That being said, the CT F Sport is a amazingly great handling car. Coming from the BSP FR scene, I would say that the CTs chassis and suspension setup handeling wise is by far the most impressive thing that literally made my jaw drop from a car that I can call destination assit from and sip a coffee at 52 mpg.
Well said! Having owned several different IS models including IS F, I don't think the CT is underpowered at all. In fact it's not a bad long distance cruiser. There is plenty of passing power (although slower than an IS of course) and plenty of torque climbing long hills. A few of my favorite attributes of CT is the seating position, steering feel and overall chassis dynamic of the CT. Although front wheel drive, it is a very appealing and fun car to drive...and achieving 40+ mpg is plenty interesting.
Old 07-11-12, 04:39 AM
NoLFA4U
Driver

The CT is far sportier than anything in it's class.

As said previously, MPG and HP don't usually go hand in hand.
Old 07-11-12, 08:27 PM
antondayak
Driver School Candidate

Only under-powered if you want to get into racing drivers who are in a big hurry. Was just in Toulemne Meadows in Yosemite National Park the other day. As I was leaving the beautiful meadows, there was a BMW who was parked on my rear even though the posted speed was 25 in the National park, I sped up to 35, not good enough. No place to pull over, this went on till the exit to the park. I had no problem getting up to the posted speed outside the park and at 8600' and quickly. BMW passed way above posted speed. So it really depends...if you have *******s pushing you, you can accelerate at a brisk pace if you want, I choose to do it slowly.
Old 07-11-12, 10:53 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The CT has it's strong points but hills is definitely not one of them!

On a recent trim from Mount Shasta, I found the trick is to keep the momentum and speed up. If you get caught having to brake while going uphill, the power is seriously lacking to pick up speed again.

But again this is a hybrid that gets 42mpg+ so of course it won't pull like a V8 powered IS-F!!!! I think Lexus created a product that does well against it's only competitor: PRIUS

**On a side note, I was at the P-car dealer looking at my next car and was pleasantly surprised the Cayenne Turbo gets awesome gas mileage! 15 city/22 hwy for a 500hp super suv! The other suv I was looking at (X5M) gets a horrible 12 city/17 hwy
Old 07-11-12, 11:36 PM
wilhem316
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally got to drive the CT during my R&R. I really love the car . The car a little underpower while on ECO mode but gas mileage is incredible (main reason for buying), the sports mode was perfect but i prefer to save gas. I drove from NC to orlando FL (517 Miles) with an average of 42MPG. Coming back I average 78 MPH and the MPG came down to 38.9. My car is the F-SPORTS SE. At one point there was an individual in a WRX STI revving up next to my car not realing is a hybrid. No doubt it was a great investment for years to come and now thinking about trading my Armada for the GS350H once it hits the dealer. We went from $80 weekly expense on gas to $30, and long trips we save a 60% on gas.
Old 07-12-12, 03:45 AM
NoLFA4U
Driver

Originally Posted by wilhem316
trading my Armada for the GS350H once it hits the dealer. We went from $80 weekly expense on gas to $30, and long trips we save a 60% on gas.
The GS450h is already at the dealers.

I feel your pain on the Armada, I have a Titan. Love the towing capacity, but 11-13 mpg is a joke.
Old 07-12-12, 12:01 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
The CT has it's strong points but hills is definitely not one of them!
Yeah power is not on the CT's side, but once you do get momentum, the CT can hustle up the grapevine in SPORT mode nicely, but of course the MPG's are affected.
Old 07-15-12, 03:28 PM
NoLFA4U
Driver

Nice.

Old 07-15-12, 03:39 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the Aimgen REAR bumper and this front bumper!
Old 07-15-12, 07:15 PM
rblover69
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Where do we get this kit at!

Quick Reply: Do you feel your CT is grossly underpowered?