CT 200h Model (2011-2017)
View Poll Results: Extended Warranty: Yes or No?
Yes
51.28%
No
48.72%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Extended Warranty: Yes or No, Why?

Old 06-01-12, 01:22 PM
SpeyRod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty: Yes or No, Why?

OK, we are picking up the CT tomorrow.

The technology behind the systems is new to me. Should I, or did you, buy and extended warranty?

Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 06-01-12, 02:05 PM
testing
Driver

i have been thinking about it too. But it is pricey.
Old 06-01-12, 02:27 PM
SpeyRod
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by testing
i have been thinking about it too. But it is pricey.
I usually think they are not worth the costs. But, I have had two cars have issues one on extended warranty and the other not. Both vehicles had computer "brains" fail. My wifes Acura ended up costing @ $1,800 by the time they fixed it. My Subaru did have the extended warranty so it was covered.

Like I said, the technology on these cars is beyond me. Add to that the dealer is 3 hours away so the no towing charge option is very attractive...

Update:

Picked the car up this morning. Yes I did get a 6 year/100k extended warranty. The fact that it covers towing to the dealer 190 miles away, rental car and trip interruption $$ sold me on it. That and the fact that I like the warranty to last longer than the loan. The dealer actually told me that this vehicle is so low maintenance and virtually issue free it may not be necessary. If we lived closer to them I may have skipped the extra expense.

Last edited by SpeyRod; 06-02-12 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-02-12, 09:46 PM
FNFZ4
Driver

based on past lexus purchases, do you guys know if the prices of these extended warranty have increased in the past 2 or 3 years? I am thinking of buying one now but if i have until 4 years and i just got the card i am thinking of purchasing it at a later time so long as the prices dont go up
Old 06-04-12, 05:56 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never have been able to figure out how they could possibly be worth the money if you properly maintain your car.....just like I have never been able to figure out why people take their car to a dealer for routine maintenance. Different strokes.........
Old 06-11-12, 02:24 AM
jfh
Driver School Candidate

I bought the extended warranty, but at a significant discount to list price. I suspect it is unlikely that I will need it, but 1 or 2 issues after the 4 year factory warranty expires and it pays for itself. If no issues,I still have piece of mind for 7 years (and I suspect the EW would be a selling point in any private sale).
Old 06-11-12, 07:14 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Warranty

You dont have to buy the warranty from Lexus. And you can wait till right before your original warranty expires.

I paid 600 dollars for 2 years of Platinum coverage for my RX350. I got mine from Jerry.

The warranty is the same from Toyota or Lexus. Pricing varies by dealer and can be discounted. If you search this has been covered a lot here already.

Send him your purchase date and VIN. And he will quote you the price.

Jerry Johnson
Midwest Toyota
Midwest Superstore
1100 east 30th
Hutchinson, Ks 67502
Phone 800-530-5789
Cell 620-664-8844
jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com
Old 06-12-12, 05:30 AM
HennessySK
Rookie

If you're going to buy extended warranty, get Lexus Extra Care (official Lexus extended warranty BY Lexus). It is accepted at any Lexus dealership, unlike some warranties.

For a while, our dealership wouldn't accept Carmax Maxcare. And my previous dealership, Lexus of Memphis, doesn't even bother with aftermarket warranties period.

I recommend to my customers to start seriously consider buying extended warranty when they get close to their basic warranty's expiration (4 years/50,000 miles). All it takes is 1 big item to make it all worth while.

Some examples:

07-09 IS250, 06 GS300 Engine running rough, misfire - up to $12,000
NAV display not working - $7200
Control arm bushings torn on LS460 - $3200
Old 06-21-12, 11:47 AM
testing
Driver

Bump it up
Old 06-21-12, 01:33 PM
SpeyRod
Driver School Candidate

I spoke with the service manager at Kendall Lexus about my simple little warranty issue. He was very helpful and happy to have me email photos so he could have the part waiting for me when I arrive. Doing this saves me a full day of time and a hotel stay in Eugene.

Since Eugene is more than 100 miles from my home the platinum warranty would have covered my hotel and expenses for an overnight due to the warranty issue. The reality is I don't want to spend the night in Eugene, payed for or not. But it is nice to have that in my back pocket if I do have to spend a night near a dealer. Especially since every dealer is more than 100 miles from my home.
Old 06-22-12, 09:25 AM
testing
Driver

Did you purchase the extended warranty? how much?

QUOTE=SpeyRod;7311507]I spoke with the service manager at Kendall Lexus about my simple little warranty issue. He was very helpful and happy to have me email photos so he could have the part waiting for me when I arrive. Doing this saves me a full day of time and a hotel stay in Eugene.

Since Eugene is more than 100 miles from my home the platinum warranty would have covered my hotel and expenses for an overnight due to the warranty issue. The reality is I don't want to spend the night in Eugene, payed for or not. But it is nice to have that in my back pocket if I do have to spend a night near a dealer. Especially since every dealer is more than 100 miles from my home.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-22-12, 10:01 PM
SpeyRod
Driver School Candidate

Yes I did purchase the extended warranty. Iirc I got the platinum 6/100,000 option. Sorry, I don't know the exact $ figure but it was close to $2k iirc. By that time after herding my 6yo twins through the process I was in the yes/no mode not the bargening mode...
Old 06-24-12, 06:55 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

By paying $2,000 for an extended warranty, the car buyer is betting that he will have a lot of expensive repairs. After all, if he has $2,000 worth of repairs, he only breaks even. Since warranty prices are not set by chimps, the collective experience of many owners indicates that this will not happen. This owner hopes that he is going to be more unlucky than most.
Some people are swayed by a report from an owner whose bad transmission was replaced under such a warranty, but neglect to consider that 5,000 other warranty buyers had no such experience.
If you consider yourself unlucky, which can be a good thing (it would keep you from gambling, for example, or from cheating on your wife), by all means get the warranty. Usually, however, the smart money stays away.
Old 07-01-12, 08:18 PM
SpeyRod
Driver School Candidate

That would be true if there was a Lexus dealer anywhere near here. Any time my car need simple warranty work, or not so simple, I am looking at a minimum $250 tow bill and at least one overnight out of town. The platinum warranty will cover both of those plus my expenses, up to $300, while out of town.

I am not worried about issues with the car. I just don't want to worry about the ancillary costs of having to get the car to the dealer to get the work done. Additionally, since they know they are going to have to cover my expenses for an overnight I think they are more willing to work with my schedule. In other words, I drive up, they fix it, and I drive home the same day. That alone is worth the additional cost for me.

FWIW, If there were a dealer in town I probably would not have bought the platinum warranty.

Old 08-07-12, 11:00 PM
canaliJohn
Driver School Candidate

Default Extended Warranty: Yes or No, Why?

Thanks for sharing this information with us. now comes on point Extended Warranty is not that much bad lets think you had a car and its warranty is winding it up then are you gone take that car to mechanic so he will charge high and if you extend warranty of car than it will be quite cheaper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Warranty: Yes or No, Why?