CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

FNG considering a ct200h

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 09:18 AM
SpeyRod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FNG considering a ct200h

Great forum and great threads here, thanks. I am a forum lifer at IH8MUD so know the search and FAQ routine.

I found the How much did you pay thread very interesting. My wife is headed up to Eugene to pick up a 450H and a CT200H for her company. She is dead set on getting a ct200h for herself. We have 6yo twins so I have my concerns about space as well as cash-flow effects of a loan. We are going to drive the new CT200H for a day with the kids in the back to check that issue out.

What I am curious about is the deal they are willing to do. Both Portland and Eugene came back with a quote of $800 off sticker. Is their margin that much lower than Socal that they can't go lower? Or is it that Oregonians are diehard hybrid lovers and they don't have to discount any more? I think the fact that the company is buying the 450H and ct200h would soften the bargaining chips a little. I may be nieve in that area...

My other concern/question is about service and warranty issues. The closest dealer, Eugene, is still 3 hours away from us. Is anyone finding issue with having service done at places other than a Lexus dealer? Obviously if there is a warranty issue it will have to go to Lexus. Has anyone else had to deal with the distance issue?

Thanks for the great threads and in advance for your responses.
Old 05-24-12, 10:28 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You're going to love both cars, they have the same gene pool. I have one of the 1st 450h models produced in May of 09 and it's as rock solid as my 03 RX300 was. i love the power and size of the RX but I could live with the less power and size of the CT if it just had some of the options I've grown used to. Anyway no good reason to trade now, running great.

RE: price, it's strictly business as far as how much a dealer will discount. Some go for volume and others try to make it as much as possible on each transaction. I'm retired so if I could save as much as $2000 on a straight purchase I'd fly as far as CA (if I had to) and drive home. Just saying, the internet and phone can be your friend. Also there are buying clubs at COSTCO and the like you could try.
Originally Posted by SpeyRod
Great forum and great threads here, thanks. I am a forum lifer at IH8MUD so know the search and FAQ routine.

I found the How much did you pay thread very interesting. My wife is headed up to Eugene to pick up a 450H and a CT200H for her company. She is dead set on getting a ct200h for herself. We have 6yo twins so I have my concerns about space as well as cash-flow effects of a loan. We are going to drive the new CT200H for a day with the kids in the back to check that issue out.

What I am curious about is the deal they are willing to do. Both Portland and Eugene came back with a quote of $800 off sticker. Is their margin that much lower than Socal that they can't go lower? Or is it that Oregonians are diehard hybrid lovers and they don't have to discount any more? I think the fact that the company is buying the 450H and ct200h would soften the bargaining chips a little. I may be nieve in that area...

My other concern/question is about service and warranty issues. The closest dealer, Eugene, is still 3 hours away from us. Is anyone finding issue with having service done at places other than a Lexus dealer? Obviously if there is a warranty issue it will have to go to Lexus. Has anyone else had to deal with the distance issue?

Thanks for the great threads and in advance for your responses.
Old 05-24-12, 04:10 PM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default pricing

depending on where you live prices are done differently, here in brooklyn its so cut throat that we have leasing companies right outside the dealer, they make you fill out a contract that they pick up from the dealership and are comfortable with making $300 profit cause they do volume sales. they dont need to pay for storage or buy cars upfront. you might even consider getting it from here if the price is right and have it shipped her for $500 i think thats what it is, i can get you a contact if you need.

if you are worried about warranty and buying from outside vendors. the dealer doesnt even know that you purchased else where. in the computer it shows the dealers name that sold to the vendor next door its crazy. I lease but thats how i got my last 5 cars.
Old 05-24-12, 05:16 PM
SpeyRod
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by silvaIS
depending on where you live prices are done differently, here in brooklyn its so cut throat that we have leasing companies right outside the dealer, they make you fill out a contract that they pick up from the dealership and are comfortable with making $300 profit cause they do volume sales. they dont need to pay for storage or buy cars upfront. you might even consider getting it from here if the price is right and have it shipped her for $500 i think thats what it is, i can get you a contact if you need.

if you are worried about warranty and buying from outside vendors. the dealer doesnt even know that you purchased else where. in the computer it shows the dealers name that sold to the vendor next door its crazy. I lease but thats how i got my last 5 cars.
Interesting business model. I can see how that will work with the population density you have there. I am not sure there are 3 million people living in our state. We have less than 20,000 in our town and it is a college town!

She is at the Eugene dealer now picking up the 450H and 200H. We will see how she likes it on the 200 mile drive home.

This just in from her:

"God damn it Honey I love this ****ing car LOVE LOVE it but yes it's
compact you'll probably think it won't be right - Laura says she
doesn't think it's cramped because you sit down low and back. I swear
I'll sit in the back seat forever when John is old enough to sit in
the front seat. It's so well made and heavy 😭😭😭😭 It's so comfortable!

OMG Honey OMG and seriously Ellen and I are tiny people we'll sit in the back. It's so comfy on my butt legs and back."

Hopefully the editors won't ban me for her language.

It sounds like she has made her decision.
Old 05-24-12, 10:58 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello and welcome to ClubLexus!

love your wife's update! very funny

i'm a mom of a 4 and 2 year old still in convertible car seats. we have them in the back, and i'ts cramped, but the boys don't seem to mind. my husband at 6-0 would like a little more leg room but loves the car for what it is . it's compact and sporty, feels nimble and quick (although on paper it's not so much) and is built solidly and lives up to Lexus quality inside and out. it is very fun to drive actually and more comfortable than i thought it could/would be.

we got the CT as a second car because we really wanted a hybrid that we actually liked looking at AND also broke the 40 mpg mark. the CT was small but ok for our purposes. it is not our regular family hauler, although i do occasionally pick up the kids in it or do short errands with them in it. most of the time i drive it for work or errands on my own. but it is nice that it is a 4-door hatchback so that i can still have them in it when needed.

i'm in So Cal and can vouch for the price differences. here in So Cal i have dozens of dealers at my disposal within a 120 mi distance (San Diego to LA). many of them are LARGE dealers with some of the highest volume sales in the U.S. they compete on volume and have very large fleet and internet depts that are paid on numbers of cars sold. the hybrids won't be "loss leaders" but they can be very competitively priced down here.

good luck in your search and let us know how it turns out
Old 05-25-12, 04:50 PM
SpeyRod
Driver School Candidate

ll,

Thanks for the reply. My wife got home with the car @ 10:45 last night. I took it for a quick ride and really liked it. It really fit like a glove compared to my Land Cruiser. The cursory glance at the rear seats left me thinking OK but not ideal. The trunk, well it looks like it can carry @ 2 grocery bags.

I had to leave the house @ 4am this morning so didn't see the kids loaded up in it. My wife said they really liked it. (Of course!)

It looks like there is one in my near future.

Thanks for the posts.
Old 05-28-12, 07:40 PM
FNFZ4
Driver

the internet is your friend. I saved 3625 off msrp with a phone call and an email.. not bad for a days work.