CT's worst feature

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-12, 09:14 PM
prosperity
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile prosperity

Originally Posted by Trexus
For myself it's not having any cupholders in the rear seating area...what's up with that Lexus?
It's driving me crazy! I mean no disrespect to you all but what is it about Americans and cupholders? Most motorists the world over survive without these automotive appendages. What on earth do you do with them?
Old 01-04-12, 03:45 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by prosperity
It's driving me crazy! I mean no disrespect to you all but what is it about Americans and cupholders? Most motorists the world over survive without these automotive appendages. What on earth do you do with them?
Coffee Cups!
Old 01-04-12, 05:03 AM
gunyvw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i read this and had to comment

as a person dealing with dc area traffic i figure most people the world over don't have to sit in their cars on the daily commute for 2+ hrs and if a car retails for 25 to 50k hell put adequate cup holders in and let me decide what i want to do with them. now ashtrays are another story other than being used as coin holders...lol

i had a Q45 with no cup holders in it and it listed for 50k sticker i bought the car used and one of my pursuits (mine and a lot of NICO forum members) was getting cup holders for it.
Old 01-06-12, 01:22 AM
prosperity
Driver School Candidate

Wink prosperity

Now you'll think I'm awful, but you have all added to the mystery. When you are stuck in the traffic for two hours, where do the coffee cups come from? Do you pack a vacuum flask and the Royal Doulton china? And the special need for cup holders in the back - are you driving four others to work? Do they volunteer to bring the cream buns? If so, don't you also need Lexus to fit front and rear napkin dispensers? And while you are busy making and serving the coffee and buns, who's driving? Or do Lexus fit auto-pilot as part of the "Cup Holder Package" to American models?

I'm sorry to ask you all this but it may help the rest of us better understand our American motoring cousins.
Old 01-06-12, 08:07 AM
gunyvw
Driver

^^about 30 words into this literary montage @"were do the coffee cups come from" i realized i wont be wasting intelligent discussion here...
scotty beams them in....

Last edited by gunyvw; 03-20-12 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-06-12, 10:47 AM
hdave
Driver

Now you'll think I'm awful, but you have all added to the mystery. When you are stuck in the traffic for two hours, where do the coffee cups come from? Do you pack a vacuum flask and the Royal Doulton china? And the special need for cup holders in the back - are you driving four others to work? Do they volunteer to bring the cream buns? If so, don't you also need Lexus to fit front and rear napkin dispensers? And while you are busy making and serving the coffee and buns, who's driving? Or do Lexus fit auto-pilot as part of the "Cup Holder Package" to American models?

I'm sorry to ask you all this but it may help the rest of us better understand our American motoring cousins.
While it is somewhat true that "fatass" Americans need their cup holders for all of their coffee and soft drinks...

- cup holder can be used for storing other stuff as well, cellphone, pens, gloves, etc..
- cups come from drive-thru's, home, office, etc..
- not only coffee.. water, soft drinks, cans, juice boxes for kids, etc..
- IMO napkin dispensers would be good too lol, I have 2 tissue boxes in the car in case something spills and would like to have a napkin dispenser somewhere
- no cup holders in the back = careless passengers will spill drinks or kids will make a mess

plus, a rear folding armrest with cup holders would be useful for resting arms as well.
and why not put cup holders in door pockets, space can easily be made for that
Old 01-06-12, 11:29 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

i don't know about you or where you live, but if i anticipate driving anywhere for more than 30 min (which i do on a regular basis), i always have a bottle of water with me. and when i have two toddlers in the back, they have some water as well. so cupholders are appreciated for that purpose.

don't assume that all americans have 42 oz big gulps with cherry soda in their cars!

if you are stuck in traffic for 2 hours, don't you get thirsty? or do you just suck it up and refuse the urge to drink anything because you despise cupholders?

just wondering ...
Old 01-07-12, 01:41 AM
prosperity
Driver School Candidate

Smile prosperity

I think I've had enough fun with cup holders, but I don't want to leave 'lexuslover' wondering. Things are different in your country and drivers are all different, too, but my house rules while driving follow:

Firstly, if I am thirsty or hungry, I stop, have a drink and/or snack, possibly a toilet stop, a walk around the car, a few deep breaths and then I'm ready to face the traffic again or to drive the next couple of hundred kilometres (depending on circumstances).

Secondly, eating, drinking and ESPECIALLY smoking in my car are forbidden. I would rather stop for my passenger's needs. I have a hands free phone, but I prefer not to use it when driving.

Finally, I enjoy my driving and I try to complete a trip without putting a wheel out of place. This really requires concentration - especially on a long drive - and both hands on the wheel. Of course in our CT's, we don't need petrol stops, so we have to make the effort to take the occasional break.

On our open roads in Australia, drowsy drivers die. Our motoring authorities stress the need for regular breaks and roadside stops are provided every few kilometres.
Old 01-07-12, 06:07 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

couldn't agree more about no drinking or eating in my car
Old 01-07-12, 01:57 PM
portishead
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OutlawTita
couldn't agree more about no drinking or eating in my car
+2 for no eating. I'll only have drinks on a long road trip. I don't know why people are mad their big gulp won't fit.
Old 01-07-12, 08:00 PM
prosperity
Driver School Candidate

Look at this:

Global Status Report on Road Safety, 2009 (W.H.O.)

Rank 115 157
Country USA Australia
Rate per 100,000 population 13.9 7.8
Reported number of traffic deaths 42,642 1,616

Now I can't provide proof positive, but I'm pretty sure it's to do with cup holders.
Old 01-07-12, 11:58 PM
portishead
Driver School Candidate

What's even funnier, before I logged in, there was an ad for cup holders below your post at the top!
Old 01-08-12, 07:13 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Look at this:

Global Status Report on Road Safety, 2009 (W.H.O.)

Rank 115 157
Country USA Australia
Rate per 100,000 population 13.9 7.8
Reported number of traffic deaths 42,642 1,616

Now I can't provide proof positive, but I'm pretty sure it's to do with cup holders.
I agree on your cup holder comment, it's a compact hybrid, it's not a grand touring car, so 2 cup holders up front do the trick. If the car had more I wouldn't complain, but I'm not complaining that there's only 2.

Regarding your road safety data, ha ha ha, but I think it's due to how moronic many US drivers are...not using blinkers, not using headlights in the rain during the day when it's gloomy/dark from the clouds, not obeying who has the right of way when a light is green, hauling 80 mph on each others rear in the passing lane (yeah, that's REALLY bright), texting/browsing on their smart phones, women putting makeup on while doing 70 mph on the highway...those are ALL to blame! Hopefully people in Australia aren't guilty of many of those.
Old 01-08-12, 07:14 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More likely due to driving while talking on the cell phone and/or texting
Old 01-08-12, 05:01 PM
prosperity
Driver School Candidate

US$200 fine here in Oz, plus 3 demerit points off your licence (too many and you lose it).

Quick Reply: CT's worst feature