CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Back seat may be too small.....owners have second larger vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 07:23 AM
Rhizzlebop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back seat may be too small.....owners have second larger vehicle?

I was all abot this car until I test drove one friday.

I still like the car. It seems nice, but the rear seat is so cramped. My intention had been to sell my trailblazer, add the rear hitch and use a cargo rack tthere for my ski equipment it be my main/only vehicle.

After driving it, and seeing how tight the rear seat is, it made me think I would have to keep the TB and use it when carrying people anywhere.

Its so small back there that I (6'3") could not sit comfortably in the drivers seat and have my gf sit behind me (5'10") to test out the roomyness.

If someone 5'4" sat behind me it would be ok but tight for them.

Do you owners have another car and this is just considered a commuter car for 1 or two people and only a rear seat used in an emergency??/
Old 11-13-11, 01:44 PM
Bane
Rookie

We have four vehicles but plan on replacing one of them with the CT soon.

It's plenty big for normal commuting for us. Granted... we are much smaller people (Me: 5'6", 150 lbs, Wife: 5'0", 96 lbs) than you and your significant other.

We have a Rav4 as our "large" vehicle. I also have a Tacoma for Home Depot runs, camping, and semi-daily use. The CT will mostly be a people mover and a get to work car.
Old 11-13-11, 02:43 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

It has the same issue most compact cars have, a tall person in the front means nobody can sit behind them

If you constantly have 4 people in the car its an issue, but 3 people its fine when the person in the back sits behind the short person.
Old 11-13-11, 03:01 PM
Rhizzlebop
Driver School Candidate

Yea, I don't have several cars.

I have an 04' trailblazer and recently aquired an 02' f-150 truck. The idea was to sell the trailblazer and get something with 40+ mpg as its my daily commuter and the truck allows me to still be able to haul a trailer and heavy stuff.

My gf (who wil be here full ttime soon) has a 2010 sonata she likes.

If I went with the ct, then the sonata becomes our "big car". I don't think me, her, and two friends could go on a 4 hour driving ski trip in the ct even if I had the cargo hitch hauler on the rear because I don't think they could ride in the back seat.

I'm saddened but I'm 95% sure I have to eliminate the ct from contention. While it'll be driven mostly by me just to work and back, on the way home from the dealership I found myself figuring out how I could keep the trailblazer and sell the truck and get the ctt which is the only way I could feel like I wasnt shorting myself.

I'm slightly saddened but now more informed.
Old 11-13-11, 03:22 PM
Dozer42
Pole Position

Maybe a Camry XLE Hybrid would work better for your height needs?

Personally I'm 5'7" and had no problems fitting the in-laws in the back.

In fact they LOVED the extra space and 2 extra doors compared to the MB CLK550 convertible. ;]

Maybe you just need to wedge your family members into a car with an even smaller back seat so they can appreciate the CT200h for the gem it is?

(Note: I removed my rear seats anyway in favor of an armored cargo box for work gear).
Old 11-14-11, 10:35 AM
Bob259
Driver

It appears the Prius V has quite a bit more back seat leg room.
Old 11-14-11, 11:37 AM
Rhizzlebop
Driver School Candidate

Bob it is so so true.

I LOVE the look of the CT and was drooling over it, till I tried to sit in the back.

I tried sitting in the front with my gf sitting behind me and I slide the seat up till I could not hardly get my foot on the gas pedal and she still said she was "barely" in there. Not comfortable at all.

We are tall, but still, thats unacceptable.

I drove the Prius V on Sunday and that sucker is soo roomy. Not as cool in looks as the sleek lexus, but the back seat slides forward and back, and the backs tilt up and back and there is mas room.

The cargo area of several times bigger in a useful manner.

It is head and shoulders above in the useful category. Looks, its a little below. Gadget wise, its right on par. The "pleather" seats were nicer in the lexus than the "pleather" in the prius V 5, and it seems the heated feature isn't adjustable in temperature? The Lexus is fully adjustable.
Old 11-14-11, 01:54 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

I was at an autoshow and had someone 6'5" sitting in the front seat of the Prius V when I sat in the back seat. I commented on the lack of room until he said he was that tall, then I was like "Wow, thats not bad" and we switched places and he fit in the back nicely.

Those rear seats that slide and tilt are quite nice. But its still a Prius and rather boring... Certainly more utilitarian than the normal Prius though.
Old 11-15-11, 10:11 AM
midcow3
Instructor

Received 463 Likes on 291 Posts
Smile

I have CT and for bigger car have Prius, regular model level V with Advanced Technolgy package. The Prius has a lot more leg room. However went on several hour trip in CT with four large adults and it was more comfortable than you would think.

Since good mileage seems to be a key criteria and you want to haul more than two, i would look at the new 2012 Camry hybrid.

My next big car is going to be the RX 450h to replace the Prius in a couple of years.
Old 11-15-11, 10:12 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i struggled w/ the rear seat room and cargo space as well when i first saw it. but then again, my daily use of it is different from yours. i have two little ones, 1.5 and 3.5. i have huge britax seats forward facing back there and they do just fine w the leg room.

i am 5-7 and my husband is 6-0. the car is cramped with 4 people but fine for going out to eat or doing something quick. i also use it for times i don't have both kids or am running errands without them. so overall, it makes sense for us and i really appreciate the 40 mpgs given that our 7-seater benz averages 15-16. but on weekends when our time is all about the kids and going out with the double stroller, we can't take the CT.

i tend to agree that you need a second larger car if it is available to you. especially given the scenarios you described.
Old 11-15-11, 01:15 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslover
i struggled w/ the rear seat room and cargo space as well when i first saw it. but then again, my daily use of it is different from yours. i have two little ones, 1.5 and 3.5. i have huge britax seats forward facing back there and they do just fine w the leg room.

i am 5-7 and my husband is 6-0. the car is cramped with 4 people but fine for going out to eat or doing something quick. i also use it for times i don't have both kids or am running errands without them. so overall, it makes sense for us and i really appreciate the 40 mpgs given that our 7-seater benz averages 15-16. but on weekends when our time is all about the kids and going out with the double stroller, we can't take the CT.

i tend to agree that you need a second larger car if it is available to you. especially given the scenarios you described.
Would you please take PICTURES of the rearseat with the carseats (but no children on it)? Also, please adjust the front seats as both you and your husband are using it.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-11, 06:15 PM
deathstar
Driver

dam, yall married big b*tches, my wifey is 5 4" and she's the tallest woman i have ever dated. my fav was this chick that was 4 10"
Old 11-24-11, 06:27 AM
hdave
Driver

Originally Posted by deathstar
dam, yall married big b*tches, my wifey is 5 4" and she's the tallest woman i have ever dated. my fav was this chick that was 4 10"
take it easy there lol
Old 11-24-11, 07:34 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by deathstar
Ha ha ha.