HID Kit Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-11, 05:10 PM
midcow3
Instructor

Received 460 Likes on 288 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Funny that you bought it thru Amazon. I get weekly emails from them and my email from them today was featuring the Kensun HID kits. This is the first time I've seen photos of the wiring, harness, bulbs, ballast, etc. Is it me, or does it look EXACTLY like the DDM Tuning kit? Truly, it looks exactly like what I installed (but without the fancy silver case it comes in)...
They are very similar in looks, but not exactly the same .... THE KENSUN WORKS THE DDM DOESN'T
Old 11-04-11, 09:52 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes and no. There are others on here with the DDM that haven't had problems, so they got a "good set". Maybe you just got dealt a "good set" w/ the Kensun...
Old 11-05-11, 12:21 PM
midcow3
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Yes and no. There are others on here with the DDM that haven't had problems, so they got a "good set". Maybe you just got dealt a "good set" w/ the Kensun...
Humor me, what is a "good set" ?

Most people have had misfire problems with the DDM; I believe even you had some problems with yours, and then it went away when you swapped ballasts.. Some people have swapped the ballasts and fixed the problem temporary or maybe or hopefully permanently. But others have just accepted the "misfire" situation. I personally think DDM made their products cheaply and on marginal specs which is why a few work and most do not. Whereas the set of people on this forum and the CT200h forum who have installed Kensun have reported no failures; so are all the Kensun people lucky?

So in retrospect to answer you "good set" question, maybe you and some others got lucky and have a DDM product that meets the specs and works. Going back to my original hypothesis, I tried to work with DDM for a couple of months and they didn't have a solution. We tried harness and that didn't work. There only other suggestion, which I chose not to implement, was to install larger full size ballasts. There last suggestion implied that maybe their ballasts are the weak link. Every DDM suggestion cost me another large shipping charge.

I would feel comfortable recommending Kensun, but would not feel comfortable recommending DDM. Would you, jimmyc13, feel comfortable recommending DDM?

Last edited by midcow3; 11-05-11 at 08:23 PM. Reason: If I don't speeeell check my speling is teribull :O :D ;)
Old 11-05-11, 03:24 PM
Darienlim
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my Kensun today and installed it to my CT. So far so good. Boy, I didn't know you have to shave some corners of the bulbs to fit into the housing. What a pain in the butt. Anyways, will report how it works out for me!
Old 11-05-11, 04:58 PM
evicfinite
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol i didn't shave any off the corners....
Old 11-05-11, 05:54 PM
midcow3
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by evicfinite
lol i didn't shave any off the corners....
I didn't either mine fit in fine as I received them.
Old 11-05-11, 07:57 PM
Darienlim
Driver

Originally Posted by midcow3
I didn't either mine fit in fine as I received them.
Seriously? How come it doesn't fit as easy as it should? Strange!! I have the 5000K bulbs btw.

Last edited by Darienlim; 11-05-11 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-05-11, 08:29 PM
midcow3
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by Darienlim
Seriously? How come it doesn't fit as easy as it should? Strange!! I have the 5000K bulbs btw.
That really sucks ; I think there was someone else who had to do something similar. What actually doesn't fit, because you are not shaving the actual xenon light? Anyway I got the 35W 4300k because it matches the LEDs and the Sylvania Ultra White fogs . The only thing I miss from DDM was the 55W 6000K lite up the road with a blue-white crisp look. I Think I have finally upset my DDM dealer enough so that he quit talking to me, Oh well!

Last edited by midcow3; 11-06-11 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-06-11, 04:24 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Humor me, what is a "good set" ?
It's quite simple actually, a "good set" is one that works.

So in retrospect to answer you "good set" question, maybe you and some others got lucky and have a DDM product that meets the specs and works.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Hence I too said "maybe".

I would feel comfortable recommending Kensun, but would not feel comfortable recommending DDM. Would you, jimmyc13, feel comfortable recommending DDM?
Sorry, but I ,jimmyc13, didn't realize I was on the witness stand here.
Old 11-06-11, 04:39 AM
Darienlim
Driver

That really sucks ; I think there was someone elese who had to do something similar. What actually doesn't fit, because you are not shaving the actual xenon light? Anyway I got the 35W 4300k because it matches the LEDs and the Sylvania Ultra White fogs . The only thing I miss from DDM was the 55W 6000K lite up the road with a blue-white crisp look. I Think I have finally upset my DDM dealer enough so that he quit talking to me, Oh well!
No, not the xenon light, but the black plastic fitment part.

Ok first thought on the 5000K, yes it doesn't have the blue white crisp ; and the passenger side's light output seems to be yellower than the driver side now. Good news is there's no misfire to report yet!
Old 11-07-11, 07:24 PM
exbauer
Driver School Candidate

Has anybody tried the Volt kit from Xenon Depot? I rather go with something that has a lifetime warranty opposed to a 2 year warranty. I am ready to dump my DDM HID kit.
Old 11-07-11, 11:30 PM
evicfinite
Driver School Candidate

the ddm kit has a lifetime warranty, how has that done for you?
Old 11-08-11, 11:07 AM
midcow3
Instructor

Post Lifetime warranty ?

Originally Posted by evicfinite
the ddm kit has a lifetime warranty, how has that done for you?
I think their lifetime warranty is a gimmick. You have to pay for shipment both ways to get replacement and you have to send you failing DDM back and they have to receive them before they will ship replacements The initial shipment coast was $13.42 My DDMs which don't work are considered used so they won't issue me a refund and they want me pay shipping send back the defective equipment. DDM is upset because I "didn't work with them" and because I bought another vendor, Kensun, as a replacement. I tried to work with them since August 11, 2011, over 2 1/2 months to get solution. I even bought their relay harness, paid another $13.42 shipping charge and it didn't help. Then the DDM harness hard failed. I filed a claim with the Better Business Bureau yesterday, November 7, 2011 for a full refund including shipping.

By the way Kia has a 10 year warranty on their cars but I firmly believe that doesn't make them better than my Ct200h.
Old 11-10-11, 02:54 PM
mr.weather
Rookie

http://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Xenon-C...0965510&sr=1-1

$55 + $10 shipping
Old 11-11-11, 07:29 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I have used the DDM 4300k kit on my 2011 Camry and this is what I can tell you:

1 - You got what you paid for. I paid for like $35....too cheap
2 - The connector is plug and play BUT it exposes the wires so I must use black electrical tapes to tape over the connector to prevent water leaking into it.
3 - It is so hard the plug the housing that holds the bulb into the headlight. one side it is in all the way while the other side is not. I hope it will not pop out.
4 - One of the bulb has a streak of blue light in it. Looks really weird.
5 - With all of these negatives, it has been working for about 14 months with no issues. Since it is cheap and return shipping is so expensive I have decided to keep it BUT I will not recommend this kit and I will never buy their kit again.

Quick Reply: HID Kit Help