Brake Pedal Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11, 06:08 PM
supercub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pedal Squeal

Hi,
I was driving a CT200 the other week and noticed a high pitched squeal coming from the pedal area as soon as I touched the brakes. It didn't matter what the speed was, but at low speed the sound was more noticable because road noise is diminished. It kind of sounded like a combination of hydraulic fluid swooshing through an orifice and an electronic high pitched tone. The salesman said it was normal. I wanted to ask a mechanic but none were available. I've read a few posts on various forums and several people have complained about it. Anyone know the sound?

Is there a fix?

Has anyone confronted their dealership about it?

Thanks.
Old 08-04-11, 09:02 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

That doesn't sound normal to me. How loud is it?
Old 08-05-11, 10:37 AM
mm767cap
Driver

It's the regen braking. I had the same concern when I first got mine
Old 08-07-11, 12:59 AM
cenix
Driver

the car makes a bunch of noises. i think i know what sound you're referring to; it's normal. best fix? don't buy the ct200h if you can't live with those sounds because you will hear it constantly.
Old 08-08-11, 04:47 AM
supercub
Driver School Candidate

Well I've also driven a Prius several times and it doesn't do it. As far as I understand the Ct200 has all the same engine and transmission component as the Prius. However the Ct200 doesn't get quite as good fuel mileage so is there something different hardware wise or is it just tuned different? Regardless the "its normal" cop out is used way often in the auto industry if you asked me. Clearly a car can be made to not exhibit a regen braking squeal...it's called the Prius. I wish Lexus would take a look at this problem that almost everyone hears. People go to a luxury brand for refinement, service, performance, etc.
Old 08-08-11, 12:48 PM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Supercub - do you own a CT?

I do hear a very slight electrical type pitched hum when slowing down, but not any type of a "squeal" as one describes above.
Old 09-06-11, 02:52 PM
budhayes3
Driver School Candidate

its normal ct brake noise. Different brake actuator. the Hs250 doesnt make that noise but i know exactly what noise your talking about. Turn up the radio
Old 09-07-11, 11:23 AM
midcow3
Instructor

Received 463 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by cenix
the car makes a bunch of noises. i think i know what sound you're referring to; it's normal. best fix? don't buy the ct200h if you can't live with those sounds because you will hear it constantly.
My CT and my Prius don't do it . Maybe something need to be ajusted or replaced on MG2 at the Lexus dealer. Loud hybrid noises are not normal .. some hybrid noises yes ... but loud isn't normal IMHO ...a better fix and then you can still buy the CT
Old 09-09-11, 09:34 AM
Dozer42
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Supercub - do you own a CT?

I do hear a very slight electrical type pitched hum when slowing down, but not any type of a "squeal" as one describes above.
Yeah, I get the 'turbo spooling down' whine when braking. In my case it's just the generator spinning to charge the battery and slow the vehicle down. Perfectly normal.

In his case, dunno, squealing? Strange.

Hop over to a dealer and try one of their CTs and see if the same thing happens. =]
Old 09-09-11, 01:00 PM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yup. The best way is to drive another to compare.
Old 10-07-11, 07:39 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by supercub
Well I've also driven a Prius several times and it doesn't do it. As far as I understand the Ct200 has all the same engine and transmission component as the Prius. However the Ct200 doesn't get quite as good fuel mileage so is there something different hardware wise or is it just tuned different? Regardless the "its normal" cop out is used way often in the auto industry if you asked me. Clearly a car can be made to not exhibit a regen braking squeal...it's called the Prius. I wish Lexus would take a look at this problem that almost everyone hears. People go to a luxury brand for refinement, service, performance, etc.
......just not as aero dynamic and weighs more....
Old 10-12-11, 05:44 AM
mm767cap
Driver

Originally Posted by midcow3
My CT and my Prius don't do it . Maybe something need to be ajusted or replaced on MG2 at the Lexus dealer. Loud hybrid noises are not normal .. some hybrid noises yes ... but loud isn't normal IMHO ...a better fix and then you can still buy the CT
Finally spent some time in a Prius this week. The noise I hear on my CT doesn't occur on the Prius. It's not a loud noise, really, just a high pitched electric squeal. Almost sounds like a dog whistle. I am planning on going to the dealership to drive another CT to see if I can replicate.
Old 10-12-11, 04:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mm767cap
Finally spent some time in a Prius this week. The noise I hear on my CT doesn't occur on the Prius. It's not a loud noise, really, just a high pitched electric squeal. Almost sounds like a dog whistle. I am planning on going to the dealership to drive another CT to see if I can replicate.
it is not the same car so you will hear different things... you are lucky as prius owners hear a lot of different squeaks and squaks :-)
Old 08-24-12, 08:02 AM
Dimple
Driver School Candidate

I have the squeal sound as soon as i touch the break..
And then when the car slows down on braking the noise annoys me..

Also there is different noise sometimes when car changes from fuel to battery or vice versa.. This noise is more like when the memory is set for a person and is changed..

All these 3 noises annoy me so much.. I guess i will check with the dealer.