CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Clear-bra - Is It Worth it in the long run?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 02:53 PM
nveddy
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Wow, that's a great score. What product did they use and is it the front hood, front of mirrors and front bumper?
the guy here in Nr\orthern Cali is doing high end cars and he is using 3m product...i did couple cars from him and its been great. 350 for bumper , hood, mirrors.
Old 11-13-11, 03:19 PM
Dozer42
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nveddy
the guy here in Nr\orthern Cali is doing high end cars and he is using 3m product...i did couple cars from him and its been great. 350 for bumper , hood, mirrors.
Can you PM me his info? $350 sounds fair.
Old 11-25-11, 05:25 AM
HennessySK
Rookie

Think twice before putting on a clear shield on a WHITE car. The film tends to discolor after a couple of years, and several customers of mine asked for it to be removed or reinstalled.
Old 11-25-11, 12:55 PM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The older 3m used to yellow the new stuff isn't supposed too. ~ Some of the cheaper brands also yellow. I've used both. Mine has a 5 yr warranty also......another reason to allow the dealer to install it.
Old 11-27-11, 09:36 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HennessySK
Think twice before putting on a clear shield on a WHITE car. The film tends to discolor after a couple of years, and several customers of mine asked for it to be removed or reinstalled.
agreed. on any light color really is noticeable.

my cousin has a tungsten silver ES with clear bra installed by dealer (when it was new). it yellowed fairly quickly (within 3 yrs) and has a matte look to it which bothers me because paint finish is supposed to be glassy and shiny. so when the front end looks matte, it almost looks like it has body work done on it or something. it's not a full hood cover either so you can see the line very clearly.

i have no idea what kind of film it is, but it was installed by a very large LA dealer and they claim it is guaranteed for life, although i don't know if they will stand behind that or not.

either way, the bra does its job regardless of how it looks. but personally i don't pay for clear bra because i don't get too many chips and i lease so it's not a long term investment for me.
Old 11-28-11, 10:39 PM
odoshi
Driver School Candidate

ordered from cleardefender today. self install full package under 400
Old 11-29-11, 09:43 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by odoshi
ordered from cleardefender today. self install full package under 400
Does that mean you are going to tackle the install yourself?
Old 11-29-11, 10:17 PM
odoshi
Driver School Candidate

yes - self install.

I installed on our previous bmw x-3. The headlights were difficult - not doing those this time. If you are patient it can be done. Motor skills help too. Willing to help anyone in the area give it a try.
Old 11-30-11, 04:53 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Mines is NOT a matte finish. You can't even see it on the bumpers...even up close in person you have to feel for it.

Old 11-30-11, 09:52 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Tom, wow, I can't even see/find the line! Nice color by the way!
Old 11-30-11, 01:36 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom59, that looks really nice! can't see the line at all - is it a full hood?

what i meant to say in my earlier post was that it turned hazy after a few years and essentially developed a matte finish (originally it was clear and perfect). she doesn't know what kind it is, but i suspect it was not super high-end because it was "thrown in" as part of the sale
Old 12-01-11, 06:03 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

No , half hood...... This guy does Bentley's and Porsche's and some other really high end cars. So his reputation is stellar. It's pretty obvious how good he is.
The older films used to be a little thicker and they showed more after waxing. They also yellowed or discolored is more like it. Having a long warranty makes me feel even better. 5 yrs ....

I also did the door jams myself and soon where your finger nails scratch the inside of the door handles. I need to make a pattern for that.
Mine has a full bumper and if you didn't know it was on there....you would swear it wasn't done. Mirrors are done also and I didn't know that until last week when I zaino'd her.
Old 12-06-11, 05:24 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm looking at the clear bra for my new HS also. I'm trying to weigh all the options and costs before I jump in.

The clear bra is nice in the fact that it is almost invisible, and you do not have to remove it to clean it, especially in the winter months.

But as a cheaper alternative, Colgan Custom does make a front end bra for the CT, as well as the HS, for around $155.

The model no. BC4841BC

The site:
http://www.colgancustom.com/
Old 12-06-11, 11:30 PM
wingedmoon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nveddy
I want to know too!!! Looking for window tinting and stuff...
Old 12-07-11, 05:19 AM
MorphiuGS
Driver School Candidate

Like mentioned above don't cheap out on it. I have seen a few that after 3-4years the front of the car looks a different color. I have it on my Z. If you just run your hand across it you can feel alot of spot that would of been paint chips.

A friend of mine has a black S2000 and it almost looks like someone slightly sandblasted the front, same with my old SRt4.

I say well worth it. Don't use thick waxes etc or they will cake up in the edges.

Quick Reply: Clear-bra - Is It Worth it in the long run?