CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

CT200h Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-11, 09:18 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default CT200h Test Drive

So I was down in OC today and decided to see if Newport Lexus had any CT200h in stock. I've been toying with the idea of getting one, but still can't make up my mind. The one I test drove had every option including the PCS, leather package and LED headlights. The sticker on the car was 47K, but thats b/c the dealer added some aftermarket rims that were $6.995. I was pretty impressed with everything on the car. It drove solid, and once switched into sport mode was pretty peppy for a hybrid. The only con I could find was how loud the car was. I took it onto the 73 and damn was it loud. Also every road imperfection came thorough, but im guessing that was the wheels they added. The interior felt very spacious and everything was high quality or at least felt that way. Navigation with real time traffic was a nice feature. The 10 speaker sound system was also pretty impressive. Newport Lexus is getting a Starfire Pearl With Black Nuluxe sometime this coming week, so im going to consider making the switch from my IS350 to the CT200h. Heres a pic of the one I drove.

Old 03-18-11, 10:15 PM
cenix
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those rims are nice but they're not $7k nice. wow. what an exhorbitant figure.
Old 03-18-11, 11:38 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

^^Word. Not surprising though considering its a dealership upgrade.
Old 03-18-11, 11:41 PM
dgstan
Rookie

Newport has a Tommy Bahama boutique inside the dealership. Someone's gotta pay for that!
Old 03-19-11, 12:19 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

...Lexus is trying to make this car as cheap as possible so they can get younger buyers and the dealership slaps on 7K in rims? LOL
Old 03-19-11, 12:57 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

There was a GS350 on the showroom floor that had rims priced at $10,995. Anyone who pays that is an idiot.
Old 03-19-11, 08:04 AM
LAX2TEX
Driver School Candidate

Those wheels look really good on the CT, but yeah $7k is fricken NUTS. ;-(

I am glad you pointed out the noise factor with the aftermarket wheels. This is the very reason I will not be changing to 18's. (although I would love the look) IMO, the CT is VERY smooth and quiet with the stock wheels. In fact, the CT's quietness becomes more & more apparent everytime I compare it to our Gen 3 Prius . ;-)
Old 03-19-11, 10:49 AM
cenix
Driver

^ it's technically not so much the aftermarket rims/wheels, but moreso the tire that you will need to run when using the 18's. lower profile are necessitated to fit/look proper and thus will transmit more road noise and vibration/feedback to you as a result. i do agree that the stock tires are very quiet and smooth--it's very nice.
Old 03-19-11, 11:14 AM
dgstan
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXSF
...Lexus is trying to make this car as cheap as possible so they can get younger buyers and the dealership slaps on 7K in rims? LOL
You gotta understand Newport Lexus: They're in Newport Beach and have a totally elitist attitude. I doubt they have any interest in selling a low-priced model like the CT (unless they can make a killing on dealer-added accessories).

Their dealership looks like a resort. We sat by the fireplace near the waterfall while the sales guy went to get the keys for our test drive. They are used to rich old guys coming in and writing checks for the full price of the car without so much as blinking. To negotiate would be considered gauche and 7 grand for rims is pocket change to most of their customers.

You should have seen their expression when I suggested they knock a little off the MSRP of the CT. It was as if I was the first person to ever suggest paying less than sticker (and maybe I was).
Old 03-19-11, 11:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by dgstan
You gotta understand Newport Lexus: They're in Newport Beach and have a totally elitist attitude. I doubt they have any interest in selling a low-priced model like the CT (unless they can make a killing on dealer-added accessories).

Their dealership looks like a resort. We sat by the fireplace near the waterfall while the sales guy went to get the keys for our test drive. They are used to rich old guys coming in and writing checks for the full price of the car without so much as blinking. To negotiate would be considered gauche and 7 grand for rims is pocket change to most of their customers.

You should have seen their expression when I suggested they knock a little off the MSRP of the CT. It was as if I was the first person to ever suggest paying less than sticker (and maybe I was).
props to them if they can sell cars not on discounting but on superior experience...
Old 03-19-11, 06:42 PM
yellowgts
Driver School Candidate

Wow, $47k, that seems to be pretty steep, even with 7k for rims.

Here in Canada, a fully optioned car would sell for $40k plus PDI, taxes, etc. i always thought we always get screwed on price
Old 03-21-11, 01:38 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

The car had 1800 miles on it, so I would try and work out a deal if I wanted this particular one. The leather had already started to show some wear.
Old 03-21-11, 01:45 PM
Bob259
Driver

Originally Posted by COOLIS
The car had 1800 miles on it, so I would try and work out a deal if I wanted this particular one. The leather had already started to show some wear.
WIth 1800 miles on it , it's a used car... not new. They better knock somethign off or else I'd walk.
Old 03-21-11, 02:32 PM
audi4t
Driver School Candidate

Anyone paying $47k for a CT200h shouldn't be concerned about hybrid fuel economy.

My concern would be lack of performance when spending that kind of money.

Our choice of CT was made on fuel economy without spending an arm and a leg. My wife's only must haves was heated seats.

Hence premium model without any options.
Old 03-21-11, 03:10 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Finally got to sit in a CT. At 6' 4" I had a fair amount of room but that was with the seat ALL the way back. That leaves about 3"'s of room between the front & rear seat.

Other then that seems to have enough room to haul some smaller stuff in it. Just don't think it will be for us though. Looks like another RX or looking at the Infinite also.

Quick Reply: CT200h Test Drive