CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

what does the CT200h have that a loaded Prius doesn't have?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 04:58 AM
Irishpilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test drive a Prius and drive it over to a Lexus dealer and park them next to each other. Look at both cars. Drive both cars. Decision should be very easy at this point. If it isn't??? See an eye doctor and seek immediate medical attention ;-)
Old 05-20-12, 06:53 AM
zmisst
Rookie

Certainly, if you can take the time to drive both cars for yourself, that is a good way to get information to decide. But you hardly need a forum post to tell you that.

For those who come to these forums to share information with other people, and like to read specific information about the details in posts that contain relevant and on topic information here is my updated list of pro and cons to help those deciding between the two:

Tech available on Ct but not available on Prius:
* LED headlights
* headlight washers
* 10 speaker premium stereo (and thus presumably better?) (Prius best is 8)
* heated seats
* memory seats
* dual zone a/c
* joystick Nav control
* rain sensor wipers
* defoggers for outside mirrors
* Enform (like fancier Onstar)
* backup camera in mirror (if no nav)
* glass break sensor

Other features the CT200h has -- and the prius doesn't have:
* much better seats, driving position and dash/console layout. Sitting in the CT fits like a glove compared to getting in the prius which feels like driving any random rental car.
* Lexus fit and finish -- dash materials esp. are much better than prius
* very comfy steering wheel and more responsive steering feel (can change with sport mode)
* sportier tuned handling (ind rear suspension and some vibration damping)
* F sport and SE options can further tune handling
* Lexus warranty
* can get moonroof with the fully loaded version (Prius moonroof is only with version 4 which cant get the Adv tch package)

Available on Prius but not CT:
* Lane Keep Assist
* Heads Up Display
* updated Entune app package (Pandora iheartradio etc.) (CT only has old Enform)
* bigger cargo area
* bigger backseat area (adults fit easily -- not so at all with CT)
* 2 12v ports (aka cig lighters) under dash and in console (CT only has one under door on front console)
* backseat armrests and cupholders
* Prius, because it weighs less and is more aerodynamic, the Prius is **faster** and more fuel efficient

Last edited by zmisst; 05-20-12 at 07:06 AM. Reason: add info re Pandora only on Prius
Old 05-29-12, 06:24 PM
FNFZ4
Driver

looks? it does not have the looks
Old 07-29-12, 06:03 PM
KenBry
Driver School Candidate

Yep, my simple answer is the prius is styled for joe practical. And that dash on the Prius... Don't get me started... It's SO ugly.

The CT, is easily the best looking true hybrid built. Simply the main thing the CT has that the Prius doesn't...STYLE.
Old 07-30-12, 09:57 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by zmisst
Tech available on Ct but not available on Prius:
* LED headlights
* headlight washers
* heated seats
Prius Five has all these.
Old 07-30-12, 12:03 PM
gpunkt
Driver School Candidate

Making no decision is even worse than making the wrong decision!

Probably to decide, one should look into the mirror instead of looking at the cars: Are YOU a tech-freak who doesn't care if there are some material issues but no tech-problems at all, or are you the person who doesn't need every single tech stuff but loves a good fit and finish and premium design?
Old 07-30-12, 02:19 PM
QuentinB
Driver

As much as I really wanted the CT200h, it turned out that the Prius was a better choice. We ended up going with the Prius v Five with Advanced Tech Package. The deal maker was the cargo space and rear seat legroom. I'm not convinced that an infant seat would have fit in the CT well at all.

Old 08-06-12, 06:42 AM
GenozWorld
Driver School Candidate

Default Prius / ct

QuentinB - there's no way I would have chosen the CT if I had a kid or kids. too small. I feel that you've the correct decision and congrats.

I seriously think of my CT as a comfortable, zippy and good looking 2 seater with TONS of storage space as we almost always fold the rear seats down to carry cargo.
Old 08-06-12, 07:11 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have lost a couple customers to the new Prius just because of size. I just love the looks and ride of the ct. Congrats on your new car
Old 08-23-12, 05:08 AM
midcow3
Instructor

Received 462 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by zmisst
What does a CT200h have that a loaded Prius doesn't have?

I can only think of:
*sport mode handling and throttle response (but seems to make little difference to some)
* sportier tuned handling (ind rear suspension and some vibration damping)
* dual zone a/c
* joystick control
* auto off delay headlamps
* defoggers for outside mirrors
* power seats w/ memory option
* 10 speaker stereo (Prius best is 8)
* Enform (like fancier Onstar)
* Leather Package: memory seats, dimming and tilting side mirrors, rain sensing wipers
* backup camera in mirror
* glass break sensor
* Lexus warranty

The only thing really attractive on that list is the memory seats and the warranty.

But you can't get on the ct200h these Prius features/options:
* Lane Keep Assist
* Parking guidance
* Plasmacluster ionizer (?!)
* bigger cargo area
* bigger backseat area (?)
* Prius, because it weighs less and is more aerodynamic is faster and more fuel efficient

Am I missing anything?
. ML CT200h
Prius JBL stereo is better than the standara or premium CT200h stereo. If you live overseas ( not in USA) ML CT200h stereo then better than JBL Prius stereo. So I am not sure I would call 10 speaker stereo better.
ctually Prius touch screen Nav is a little easier to use than the CT200h joystick/fixed mouse screen.. And yes the Prius has a larger backseat area. Prius does not have auto on lights, but if you leave them on they have an auto-off delay. There is a power mode on Prius simlar to CT200h,changes power but not handling. Prius with 17 inch wheels handles much different than other Priuss ; closer to CT200h handling but not quite as good.
Prius has heated mirrors =defogger on outside mirrors.
Old 08-25-12, 08:50 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am 65 years old. I initially ordered a loaded 2012 pkg 5 Prius with technology package. 2 days before the Prius arrived I bought a CT Premium with leather. That pissed off the Toyota dealer.

Prius seats were not comfortable. Prius does not have memory seats as an option.

What I wish the CT had was dynamic cruise control. I had it on my Avalon and loved it.

Prius gets 8 MPG better mileage. We had a 2005 Prius.

CT handles 75-78 MPH much better than any Prius. At that speed we get 38-39 MPG as calculated with a pencil while the dash displays 40 MPG.

You wear the CT like a nice pair of comfortable shoes.

My other rides are a LS 460 and a Ford Expedition. The LS get 23 MPG combined and 28 Mpg at 75 mph. The Exedition averages 13.5 combined and 15 at 75 MPH.

The CT stereo sucks compared to our LS Mark Levinson. I played base guitar in a band in the 60's and I like listening to Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead etc. See I'm an old guy.

Jerry
Old 08-25-12, 09:23 PM
SBCsx
Driver School Candidate

I think that a prius with 17 inch wheels will not make a difference in handleing. It would only matter if the width of the wheel increases. Not diameter.
Old 08-26-12, 06:21 AM
midcow3
Instructor

Received 462 Likes on 290 Posts
Post Prius with 17 inch wheels handles better

Originally Posted by SBCsx
I think that a prius with 17 inch wheels will not make a difference in handleing. It would only matter if the width of the wheel increases. Not diameter.
Originally Posted by SBCsx
I think that a Prius with 17 inch wheels will not make a difference in handling. It would only matter if the width of the wheel increases. Not diameter.
I have the 17 inch Prius wheels (215/45-17) and they do make a significant difference in handling on the Prius. The other size Prius tires are (195/65-15).

However, my S2000 handles much better than either my CT200h or the Prius

Overseas both Lexus and Toyota are called Toyota. The quality between Lexus and Toyota is very similar even though the presentation of the Lexus is a little more polished.
Old 09-06-12, 04:32 PM
SpeyRod
Driver School Candidate

Style.
Old 09-10-12, 04:37 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
I have the 17 inch Prius wheels (215/45-17) and they do make a significant difference in handling on the Prius. The other size Prius tires are (195/65-15).

However, my S2000 handles much better than either my CT200h or the Prius

Overseas both Lexus and Toyota are called Toyota. The quality between Lexus and Toyota is very similar even though the presentation of the Lexus is a little more polished.
In Japan they seperated the two name plates in the last couple years, iirc. They used to call them both Toyota after Toyoda.
Not anymore.

There is a huge difference in the way you are treated by the dealer too. White Glove service vs who knows. My local Toyota dealer is crass and belligerent and the sales staff knows almost nothing. I actually bought cars from other dealers and use their service dept.

My Lexus dealer bends over backwards for me.

The CT200h in special edition form out handles both the ct200h and prius........and probably close to the S2000. I've driven three or four S2000's a lot depends on what has been done stock form its pretty close.
Of course there are similarities same company , but not even close as far as dealer response and treatment overall.

Quick Reply: what does the CT200h have that a loaded Prius doesn't have?