CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Hatchbacks, roof racks, and hitch mounts: will it fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 08:04 PM
QuentinB
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatchbacks, roof racks, and hitch mounts: will it fit?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that is naturally drawn to hatchbacks because of how much stuff you can fit inside, on top, and behind. This thread is for questioning current and prospective owners about what fits... and what doesn't.

I'm an avid cyclist. On my old GTI, I had a roof rack that I generally hated. It left slight marks on the paint, it was irritating to take on and off, and I was always paranoid about driving into the garage with the bikes on the roof. When I got my 4Runner, I went to a hitch mount which I absolutely love.

So, my question... do you think DrawTite or similar will make a hitch for the CT200h? Do you think the hitches for the Matrix or Prius would possibly fit? What sort of clearance is there below the rear apron for a hitch? I'd really rather not have to take my 4Runner anytime I'm transporting a bike and going back to a roof rack isn't something I'm keen on doing.
Old 03-09-11, 05:33 AM
jasyn
Driver School Candidate

i'm not sure about hitches .. but i've already contacted yakima and thule regarding roof racks and they said they'll test it once they get a ct200h. seeing as how they have one made for prius .. i would believe in due time.

of course with these add-ons, MPG will suffer.
Old 03-09-11, 06:55 AM
dgstan
Rookie

Originally Posted by jasyn
i'm not sure about hitches .. but i've already contacted yakima and thule regarding roof racks and they said they'll test it once they get a ct200h. seeing as how they have one made for prius .. i would believe in due time.

of course with these add-ons, MPG will suffer.
I have a hitch on my 2005 Prius. I highly doubt it would fit on my CT, but I can take a look this weekend.

And yes, it killed my MPG. I imagine a roof rack would be much worse.
Old 03-12-11, 04:52 PM
QuentinB
Driver

I took a good look under the rear skirt of the CT200h on Thursday in my local Lexus showroom. It appeared that there is all sorts of space for a hitch. Hopefully the CT is popular enough that someone makes a receiver for it. Worst case, I'll make my own. I could probably keep it better hidden.
Old 11-10-11, 06:20 AM
Rhizzlebop
Driver School Candidate

I'm very interested in putting a small receiver hitch under a CT IF I bought one.

I like to carry things and go to football games and tailgate. I need space to carry grills, and bag toss boards, and coolers, and other accessories. The cargo area simply does not look big enough.

A ***** under it would make it feasible again, even if it hurt gas mileage while carrying the cargo back there.

To those who say it will hurt MPG, are you saying that just having the receiver hitch installed will hurt the MPG or actually carrying a rack or csomething will hurt it?

I could totally understand it being hurt when carrying stuff due to wind buffeting. But just the small receiver under the back affecting the mpg? Seems like it would be so slight you couldn't measure it.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-14-11, 12:27 AM
atebit
Driver School Candidate

Curt model 11200 is for the 2011 CT, imagine it fits the 2012 as well. They have instructions on their website; looks like a little fascia cutting/heat shield bending but otherwise an easy install

I was hoping that the hitch from my Matrix would fit, but it does not.