CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Real World MPG???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 07:42 PM
jjinwi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real World MPG???

I've decided to buy a hybrid.... I have a 2006 Jetta TDI (real world 41MPG) but I'm tired of the high maintenance with the VW (plus it has been a POS over the last 2 years)

So, I've narrowed the field to either the Sonata hybrid or the 200h. (I really really tried to like the Prius, took 6 test drive over 2 months.... but it was like driving an appliance... maybe a refrigerator ... )

Although the Sonata is still not released , a guy drove one cross country and got +50MPG (Real World) on the highway @ 65mph.

I'm wondering what 200h owners are getting for real world mileage. ALSO, does it drive any better than the Prius???

Thanks!!!
Old 03-08-11, 07:57 PM
LexFather

Welcome to the forum. If you check out the owners thread some are reporting over the 42 MPG already. I spoke to the product rep and he said he averaged 57 MPG going the speed limit traveling from Al to GA.

Hopefully more people chime in.
Old 03-08-11, 08:38 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the sonata has been delayed because they are working on a sound device to alert people at low speeds...
Old 03-08-11, 09:17 PM
mm767cap
Driver

I just did a 5 hour round trip of 200+ miles. Mix of twisty mountainous driving and about 60 miles of freeway. I was pretty light on the throttle, but not unreasonably so. I drove the speed limit, or about 8 over on the freeway.

45.3 mpg.

I've seen 53 for a high, and about 35 for a low on shorter trips.
Old 03-09-11, 05:31 AM
jasyn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mm767cap
I just did a 5 hour round trip of 200+ miles. Mix of twisty mountainous driving and about 60 miles of freeway. I was pretty light on the throttle, but not unreasonably so. I drove the speed limit, or about 8 over on the freeway.

45.3 mpg.

I've seen 53 for a high, and about 35 for a low on shorter trips.
great numbers! keep us all posted as you break in the vehicle more
Old 03-09-11, 01:24 PM
DJTIMMYD
Rookie

I took mine on a 700 mile roadtrip to Arizona and got 42.5. The crazy thing is that I was going 70 mph+ for most of the trip.
Old 03-09-11, 01:51 PM
dkidwell
Rookie

Are these MPGs from the computer? Has anyone actually divided gallons used into miles driven?
Old 03-09-11, 05:24 PM
Bob259
Driver

Well I just filled up tonight and I divided it out an for 160 miles I averaged 35.4 MPG. That was new coming from the dealer, packed the tank, and a lot of hills and 70 MPH, not bad I think for being new and all the hills I pulled and not knowing how far the dealer really filled it.
Old 03-09-11, 06:25 PM
dkidwell
Rookie

Bob how close was the computer to the 35.4? I find the computer normally reads a little high.
Old 03-09-11, 06:56 PM
Bob259
Driver

Originally Posted by dkidwell
Bob how close was the computer to the 35.4? I find the computer normally reads a little high.
If I recall it said 38.1 mpg. Both my Highlander Hybrid and the wife's Prius are optimistic. I’m told it’s because of the way it averages current Vs older data. It’s about the same swing I saw in my Highlander. The closest readings come from a fill up , right on the road and fill up after the highway then it’s fairly close I’ve found.
Old 03-09-11, 07:04 PM
dkidwell
Rookie

[QUOTE=Bob259;6210998]If I recall it said 38.1 mpg.QUOTE]

Thanks, that is about what I thought. I am ready to get mine, but since it is a special order it will be between 8 and 16 weeks.
Old 03-13-11, 01:36 AM
CTWannabe
Driver School Candidate

Default Miles/Gallons

For those dividing miles by gallons, may I suggest topping off the tank (trying at least 2 "clicks") to make sure your tank is full. Make sure the odometer reads for "trip". Then, when it's time to fill up again, top off the tank again (2 "clicks"), get a receipt, and divide the number of miles from the trip by the number of gallons on the receipt.

I know it sounds elementary, but every forum I've been on, they're dividing their miles by their "tank", which I doubt was completely empty or completely full to begin with. This could lead to major inaccuracy.

Thanks for the numbers!
Old 03-13-11, 04:09 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CTWannabe

I know it sounds elementary, but every forum I've been on, they're dividing their miles by their "tank", which I doubt was completely empty or completely full to begin with. This could lead to major inaccuracy.

Thanks for the numbers!
Yeah, I've seen that a lot before too!
Old 03-13-11, 10:13 AM
QuentinB
Driver

Originally Posted by CTWannabe
For those dividing miles by gallons, may I suggest topping off the tank (trying at least 2 "clicks") to make sure your tank is full. Make sure the odometer reads for "trip". Then, when it's time to fill up again, top off the tank again (2 "clicks"), get a receipt, and divide the number of miles from the trip by the number of gallons on the receipt.

Thanks for the numbers!
If you guys have an iphone*, there is a great app called Gas Cubby. You punch in your odometer reading at each fillup and how many gallons you filled. It then tracks your mileage for you. Here is a print screen from my 2010 4Runner.

It removes the potential for human error (short of punching in the wrong numbers) and tracks it over long periods of time. I used to use excel for tracking mileage, but this app works way better.

Anyway, you can see why I'm interested in adding a CT200h to the stable. I love my 4Runner, but it sure does drink gas and I simply don't need it most of the time in my DINK family. I think the CT will be great for doing most of my driving and letting my 4Runner relax at home when I'm not camping/biking/hiking.

*Very well might be on Android or BB app stores too, but I have an iPhone, so I only know about iphone.

Last edited by QuentinB; 03-13-11 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-13-11, 01:32 PM
Bob259
Driver

38.9 MPG, all in town, temps in the low 30's in the day and AM in the teens, also have hills in the commute. Happy with that seeing it's new and an ethanol blend.

Quick Reply: Real World MPG???