CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

CT200h (production version of LF-Ch concept)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-10, 10:10 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by w@ntonsoup
I think Lexus should have done what they intended - make a luxury Prius. But they didn't. They took the chassis that underpins the Scion tC, and put the Camry hybrid's powertrain in it. The styling isn't "hybrid", it's just Toyota Avensis with a Lexus grille.

I went to see the HS expecting to drive one home. The styling, lack of folding rear seats, and a few other things kept my Audi A3 in the driveway a little while longer.
Do we know what chassis the CT is based on? I missed it, is it the tC?

The LS, GS, HS don't have folding seats b/c the big electric motor is in the back. As a matter of fact NO Lexus has ever had folding rear seats. The RX/CT clearly have the batteries under the floor so they can drop the rear seats.

Which does bring up a point, that CT might just have the new advanced batteries and motor b/c where did they put it? Unless it is behind the rear seats and there is no space back there for anything.

I am not going to argue over the "looks" but it is far from an Avensis with just a "Grill" swap.

Old 01-21-10, 10:15 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Lexus should have done what they intended - make a luxury Prius. But they didn't. They took the chassis that underpins the Scion tC, and put the Camry hybrid's powertrain in it. The styling isn't "hybrid", it's just Toyota Avensis with a Lexus grille.

I went to see the HS expecting to drive one home. The styling, lack of folding rear seats, and a few other things kept my Audi A3 in the driveway a little while longer.

Back to the TC200h - this could really be the right car for them. Unique, sporty styling, a chance at really good mpg numbers, and a beautiful luxury Lexus interior. So long as it's FWD/AWD, I'm buying one.
I agree with you . I hope AWD is offered. I don't see why it wouldn't be.
Old 01-21-10, 10:19 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

The LS, GS, HS don't have folding seats b/c the big electric motor is in the back. As a matter of fact NO Lexus has ever had folding rear seats. The RX/CT clearly have the batteries under the floor so they can drop the rear seats.

Which does bring up a point, that CT might just have the new advanced batteries and motor b/c where did they put it? Unless it is behind the rear seats and there is no space back there for anything.

I am not going to argue over the "looks" but it is far from an Avensis with just a "Grill" swap.

It's not a grille swap (ala Acura TSX), but they do have some similarities . About as many similarities as the HS has with the Corolla lol

I don't think folding seats are a make it or break it deal for most (considering Lexus's sales are still #1 in the US), but it would be nice if they offered it as an option on the IS/ES/GS/LS like BMW and Mercedes do.
Old 01-21-10, 10:44 AM
w@ntonsoup
Driver School Candidate

Those are very similar bodies - I doubt most people would be able to tell them apart. Can't say that about a Prius/Insight.

The HS might be a good fit for people, just not for me. I demand a bit more utility out of my vehicles, which is why I always go with either a hatchback or at least folding rear seats in my cars. I literally moved out of my apartment in an Acura Integra GS-R (coupe), and just last week we brought home a 5' long cat tower thingie in the Audi A3. (Which prompted my wife to say, "WOW - good thing we didn't buy the Lexus last month!") The HS just doesn't come across as special to me. It's not high end luxury styling (LS, GS, even ES), it's not unique and cool (Prius, Insight 1G and 2G), it's just another sedan that happens to be a hybrid. It disappears in a crowd. Some people like that, but with their first dedicated hybrid, I think it's a mistake. But that's a different conversation for a different thread.

My big shock about the TC200h was that it sort of looks like a Honda or a Mazda - not a luxury car. I'm sure in person it'll look better.
Old 01-21-10, 10:49 AM
LexFather

Those are very similar bodies - I doubt most people would be able to tell them apart. Can't say that about a Prius/Insight.

The HS might be a good fit for people, just not for me. I demand a bit more utility out of my vehicles, which is why I always go with either a hatchback or at least folding rear seats in my cars. I literally moved out of my apartment in an Acura Integra GS-R (coupe), and just last week we brought home a 5' long cat tower thingie in the Audi A3. (Which prompted my wife to say, "WOW - good thing we didn't buy the Lexus last month!") The HS just doesn't come across as special to me. It's not high end luxury styling (LS, GS, even ES), it's not unique and cool (Prius, Insight 1G and 2G), it's just another sedan that happens to be a hybrid. It disappears in a crowd. Some people like that, but with their first dedicated hybrid, I think it's a mistake. But that's a different conversation for a different thread.

My big shock about the TC200h was that it sort of looks like a Honda or a Mazda - not a luxury car. I'm sure in person it'll look better.
I have to admit I didn't "get" hatches until recently. Now I really see their value. For example I changed my opinion on the WRX STI b/c you get some utility with a lot of sport. I also love the Panamera (which is also ugly) b/c it is a hatch and useful compared to a 7/LS/S etc.

Not going to argue about the HS anymore, this is a CT thread.

FYI I've always been a big supporter of the A3, shame it doesn't sell better.

Look doesn't matter how Lexus designs a car people will say what they want. "oh its a Toyota, oh it doesn't look luxury" etc etc and they Sell over and over. So the formula works. Can't please everyone.

I think the CT looks nice and youthful and different to the German hatches. No offense but the A3 looks like the A4, A6, A8 but is a wagon.
Old 01-21-10, 11:36 AM
w@ntonsoup
Driver School Candidate

No offense but the A3 looks like the A4, A6, A8 but is a wagon.
None taken - my goal with that car was the get a luxury car with the best fuel economy. At the time, it was hard to beat the A3 2.0T with EPA 24/30, in a small car with some soul.
Old 01-21-10, 11:55 AM
LexFather

None taken - my goal with that car was the get a luxury car with the best fuel economy. At the time, it was hard to beat the A3 2.0T with EPA 24/30, in a small car with some soul.
Oh trust me, I am a fan of the A3. Post pics if u can!
Old 01-21-10, 12:02 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

The HS just doesn't come across as special to me. It's not high end luxury styling (LS, GS, even ES), it's not unique and cool (Prius, Insight 1G and 2G), it's just another sedan that happens to be a hybrid. It disappears in a crowd. Some people like that, but with their first dedicated hybrid, I think it's a mistake.

That's exactly what I think about the HS!

I have to admit I didn't "get" hatches until recently. Now I really see their value. For example I changed my opinion on the WRX STI b/c you get some utility with a lot of sport. I also love the Panamera (which is also ugly) b/c it is a hatch and useful compared to a 7/LS/S etc.

Not going to argue about the HS anymore, this is a CT thread.

FYI I've always been a big supporter of the A3, shame it doesn't sell better.

Look doesn't matter how Lexus designs a car people will say what they want. "oh its a Toyota, oh it doesn't look luxury" etc etc and they Sell over and over. So the formula works. Can't please everyone.

I think the CT looks nice and youthful and different to the German hatches. No offense but the A3 looks like the A4, A6, A8 but is a wagon.
I agree hatches and wagons are nice. They have never gained traction over here in the US, but there are some really nice examples of stylish hatches that do well here (pretty much every Scion and the Mazda3).

I hope the best for Lexus with the CT if they bring it here, and I'm very excited about what the front end and interior may look like. Could be a good luxury commuter car
Old 01-21-10, 12:21 PM
w@ntonsoup
Driver School Candidate

Oh trust me, I am a fan of the A3. Post pics if u can!
Sure, here ya go:
Attached Thumbnails CT200h (production version of LF-Ch concept)-audi-leaves-changing.jpg  
Old 01-21-10, 03:15 PM
LexFather

Nice!! Love the color!
Old 02-09-10, 02:36 AM
phoebus
Driver

i found this photo on the net.. but i am not sure if it is real or not

Old 02-09-10, 03:15 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by phoebus

Nice find! Any more?
Old 02-09-10, 04:49 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Nope. Scion tC shares its platform and 2700mm wheelbase with the Prius, Avensis and Lexus HS.

Lexus LF-Ch (and, presumably, the production Lexus CT) sit on a 2600mm wheelbase, just like Corolla and Matrix.

Now, before everyone starts freaking out and saying that Lexus CT will be just a rebodied Corolla, keep in mind that Toyota platforms are VERY flexible. It's NOT just a matter of adding sound insulation and slapping some Lexus badges on a Matrix. The Lexus HS, though sharing the Prius platform, has a much more sophisticated double-wishbone independent rear suspension than the Prius' torsion beam live axle. And HS received seven significant powertrain upgrades versus the Camry Hybrid. (For more on the subject, see http://my.is/forums/f41/lexus-hs-syb...-world-391268/ ). Expect even greater differentiation between CT and Matrix.
Old 02-09-10, 05:44 AM
JessePS

We are just about a month away to see if its real or not.

*twiddles thumbs*
Old 02-09-10, 08:10 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Looks plausible. It's a nice mix between the concept LF-Ch and the current gen RX. Only problem I foresee is if young 20-somethings are going to want to drive around a car that looks like their parents CUV.

Quick Reply: CT200h (production version of LF-Ch concept)