Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

New Brake Group Buy (GS, SC & IS only)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-02, 08:12 PM
Shoofin'TL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DrRick
painting the calipers were not that big of a deal to me. read the sig!!!!!

Doc
I know, but still... At least brush the caliper off with a wire brush to clean it up...you have a shiny rotor and a dull caliper...it would have taken 10 more minutes to paint the caliper...It would look THAT much better! my $.02
Ed
Old 08-12-02, 02:20 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Shoofin'TL

I know, but still... At least brush the caliper off with a wire brush to clean it up...you have a shiny rotor and a dull caliper...it would have taken 10 more minutes to paint the caliper...It would look THAT much better! my $.02
Ed
totally agree with you. nice rotors deserve to be accessorized with a decent caliper. mine is looking stained so i'll definitely clean and paint it a plain color. not doing red or yellow for a friggin stock size rotor though
Old 08-12-02, 02:31 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl

any instructions for the gs4? i'd love to save those money, coz' i take off my wheels from time to time anyway.

btw, just checking..... if i get new rotors and pads, i do NOT have to surface the rotors right? just put the thing right in with the pads?
bananaGS is extremely kind to have written up a lot of stuff that many here will find useful

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/bananags/

Dr Rick has some hints in the brake groupbuy thread as well
Old 08-13-02, 08:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ok, some more questions. the rotors come in with silver plated. the oem ones, they rusted like no tomorrow.... so with these new babies, do i need to paint them too?
Old 08-13-02, 12:10 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

rominl,

No painting required on the Silver Cad plated rotors thus no rusting like the stock ones.. Hope that helps!
Old 08-13-02, 09:11 PM
gsphil
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I make the purchase?

Help a newbie out. How do I make the purchase? I have emailed the address noted with no reply. Thanks.
Old 08-13-02, 09:31 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

steve is a busy man...so you may not get reply immediately..just call the toll-free tel and ak for parts..this way you can order over the tel
Old 08-13-02, 10:13 PM
RacingAristo

William,

Do you already have a set of SupraTT brake?

Old 08-13-02, 10:24 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

no..no budget allows for now
Old 08-13-02, 11:14 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Default Re: How do I make the purchase?

Originally posted by gsphil
Help a newbie out. How do I make the purchase? I have emailed the address noted with no reply. Thanks.
as gs4will said, the guy is extremely busy. even calling him guarantees absolutely nothing as far as talking to the actual Steve Ganz. but Angel and Gordon are his right-hand men and will take care of you just the same. in case you missed my other reply, 800-90-Toyota
Old 08-13-02, 11:42 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

First I would just like to say thanks to Bravo, Dr. Rick, and Savvy for answering my questions and all your contributions in general.

I am definitely in on this deal - I need new rotors and pads so it is a no brainer. Count me in for rotors, brakes, and a shim and fitting kit, if I need one (I'll ask Steve when I order).

Now I have a question on the whole slotted vs. cross-drilled thing. I read through every thread I could find here after doing a search, so hopefully my question will be halfway educated.

Q: I want cross-drilled because I love the way they look (let's put all performance issues aside on this please). Now, if I am getting cross-drilled for sure, what benefit does the slotting give? I assume it reduces fade as well, but does it really make up for the missing surface area on the rotor if it is already cross-drilled?

I am also a little worried about all those threads that talked about having to file down the slotted rotor groves because they were too noisy. Can someone talk about this?

Lastly, Savvy, or anyone else who has the current setup, can you tell us if you have had any changes in noise/performance now that you have had the upgrade a while.

Many Thanks,
Ryan
Old 08-13-02, 11:54 PM
RacingAristo

Originally posted by gs4will
no..no budget allows for now
hee hee. That's cool. Let me know when the target hits 3200. I'll probably get the bodykit first, hopefully get a quote by the end of this week. <fingers cross>

Old 08-13-02, 11:55 PM
RacingAristo

No change in noise level with my TRD setup.

Definitely an improvement on performance. The car stops with less distance.

More dusts!

Old 08-14-02, 01:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by RacingAristo
No change in noise level with my TRD setup.

Definitely an improvement on performance. The car stops with less distance.

More dusts!
the RA, more dust you mean you get more dust with the trd pads right? how about the green stuff? they have just as much dust?

also, i was playing with different options, if i have to stay with stock calipers, i canNOT get the supra upgrade.... right? or can i? i can't change the calipers coz' from time to time i have to put back the stock 17....
Old 08-14-02, 02:46 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ryan,

There is slightly more noise with the slotted rotors when braking hard but its not bad at all and my wife hasn't complained so that is my litmus test.. Steve can source you just the cross drilled if you wish and the price will be the same..

The benefit of slotted rotors is it cleans the brake pads thus keeping them cooler and it looks pretty cool too.. Perhaps not the best explaination so maybe someone else can add to this..

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: New Brake Group Buy (GS, SC & IS only)