Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

New Brake Group Buy (GS, SC & IS only)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-02, 03:31 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 2SAVVY
DrRick was nice enough to post up some really nice pictures of his newly installed brakes after some use.. Note the Silver Cad plating gets burnt off after a few stops in the braking area..

This is DrRick's front brakes
Looks like Dr. Rick needs some rims.
Old 08-04-02, 03:52 PM
RacingAristo

I'm sure there is something for LS. At least brake pads.

Old 08-04-02, 09:18 PM
enginyr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in for a set of pads....no biggie.
Old 08-05-02, 12:35 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RacingAristo
bravo,

You would need shim kit when you upgrade to SupraTT brake kit. Otherwise, if you just replace the OEM rotors/pads with aftermarket OEM size rotors/pads, you don't need shim kit. Is that clear?
RA,
well, what you've been saying is clear, but it disagrees with dr rick's write up. i'll just do a compromise and buy both the shim and fitting kit even if i go the OEM route as the pieces aren't too spendy. but i'll go TT once i learn what my rims can take. thought all 20" lowenharts could, but guess not. but thanks!
Old 08-05-02, 08:24 AM
RacingAristo

bravo,

I have the TRD rotors/pads and did not purchase any shim kit from Steve. I utilize the stock ones. Not sure why you would need shim kit for just OEM replacement. Assuming you are just changing the stock rotors and pads with another stock set. If your car runs perfect with original setup, why would you need any additional part if you just simply replace the same thing?

Old 08-05-02, 10:24 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For my fellow LS owners who have inquired about the brake rotors and pads for their car just send me a PM and I will forward off the list of folks who are interested to Steve and hopefully he can source the parts you need.. No guarantee on this but i'll do what I can to help out..

For those who are on the fence about the shim kit and/or fitting kit.. Fitting kit can be reused with no issue but if your car has been through a winter or two then I would say replace them since salt tends to effect the parts.. As for the Shim Kits this I think is a must if you want it installed right with no issues according to the guys at my Lexus dealer..

Last edited by 2SAVVY; 08-05-02 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-05-02, 11:29 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

bravo,

I have the TRD rotors/pads and did not purchase any shim kit from Steve. I utilize the stock ones. Not sure why you would need shim kit for just OEM replacement. Assuming you are just changing the stock rotors and pads with another stock set. If your car runs perfect with original setup, why would you need any additional part if you just simply replace the same thing?
that always made sense to me. i'm gonna PM dr rick and ask him why he feels he needs them. thanks for your help again, RA
Old 08-06-02, 12:33 PM
RacingAristo

bravo,

I'd ask Steve directly. I was just there an hour ago picking up my stuffs. I will do the SupraTT brake upgrade when I upgrade my rims. Man, the yen is freaking strong now. <grummble>

Old 08-06-02, 04:47 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If I have the L-tuned 18's on my car, what would be the best brake upgrade possible? Would the supra rotors fit on my car?? If not, would I want or need to replace my calipers??

Sorry about the question, but I want to get in on this deal but I am not sure what will work on my car. Please help.
Old 08-06-02, 04:58 PM
RacingAristo

Originally posted by UTGS400
If I have the L-tuned 18's on my car, what would be the best brake upgrade possible? Would the supra rotors fit on my car?? If not, would I want or need to replace my calipers??

Sorry about the question, but I want to get in on this deal but I am not sure what will work on my car. Please help.
I'm not sure about the offset and the design of L-tuned 18". You would have to measure it or best yet, give Steve Ganz a call. Since he deals with both L-tuned and SupraTT kit, he would have more information regarding in this matter.

Use "search" before you ask, my friend. I believe your questions have been answered before.

From your questions, I doubt you would need an aftermarket upgrade. Just my 0.02.

Old 08-06-02, 05:15 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Use "search" before you ask, my friend. I believe your questions have been answered before.

I did search and did not find anything relating to the L-Turned 18's working with the supra upgrade. It is my understanding that some 18's will work with this upgrade, but not all 18's.
Old 08-06-02, 08:52 PM
RacingAristo

Yes, and that's why asking Steve could solve your problems. He sells both L-tuned parts and the brake kit.

Old 08-06-02, 09:15 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by bravo261

that always made sense to me. i'm gonna PM dr rick and ask him why he feels he needs them. thanks for your help again, RA
bravo, the reason that i went with the shims and all is because of what Dex wrote here . also note that he paid 100 bucks for the shims and fitting kits, and you can get it from steve for 20. it was much simpler to err on the side of too much rather than not enough. especially since i wasnt getting it done at Lexus dealer. if you have seen my pics at the last Atl meet (in the lobby) you will see that these pads put out in insane amount of dust. but the stopping power is there.......

Doc

Last edited by DrRick; 08-06-02 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-06-02, 09:17 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Hermosa

Looks like Dr. Rick needs some rims.
if i do this to factory rims can you imagine what i would do to aftermarket wheels. that is one of the factors as to why i havent gotten a new set yet. i am hell on wheels......no pun intended

Doc
Old 08-06-02, 09:37 PM
LexFather

Well I have stock front pads and TRD rear pads and the TRD pad dust is ridiculous compared to the fronts. My rear wheels are darker than my fronts in like 3 days.

So TRD gives a lot of dust too......

Quick Reply: New Brake Group Buy (GS, SC & IS only)