Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

** UPDATE ** Wood Steering Wheel Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-03, 08:31 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys - I had a bit of a set-back with my order.

I mailed in my wheel and sample wood and rec'd a call from American Stitches two weeks later telling me that they can't match my stock gray leather. I was rather shocked that they haven't had anyone else w/ the same leather color thus far? Isn't it a common color?? The lady told me that they have a tope color that is close but not an exact match. This really sucks because I was really looking forward for the wheel!! I asked the lady to send me a swatch so I can see the difference but I already have an idea what it looks like. HORRIBLE! My loaner wheel right now is tope and it clashes pretty bad with my current air bag....

So I started thinking and came up with the idea of maybe going with a black leather. This might look kind of cool with the gray since there is a good amount of black mixed throughout the cabin. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Synergy; 09-01-03 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-01-03, 08:42 PM
Synergy

Here is an example of another member's gray w/ tope wheel. Notice the center of the wheel (airbag) is the stock OEM gray and the wheel is a greenish tope color. IMHO I think this looks pretty lame and very unmatched

Another idea is going with a darger gray on the wheel?? Thoughts?

Last edited by Synergy; 09-01-03 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-01-03, 09:11 PM
dahozzman
Rookie

Default I ran into this exact problem, but I have a solution

I have the Spruce interior (kind of a green/grey color). It is a rather odd color, so I wasn't totally surprised. I just had my seats redone in factory matching leather. I had thought American Stitches would have similar resources as my local auto upholsterer given they specifically indicate Lexus as one of their specialities. (BTW, if you're in the Los Angeles area, PM me if you want referal to who did my seats. You cannot tell they were not factory original.)

Anyway, what they need is two 10x15 inch pieces to do the wheel (3 if you're having the gear shift **** redone also). Go to your local Lexus dealer and find out what 3rd party upholstery they send their work to. Go to that upholsterer as they for sure can source leather that can match your material, given they get enough work from your Lexus they need to stay on top of this research.

This is exactly what I did, and it played out even for my odd interior color. I've ordered (in my case) three 10x5 inch pieces. I'll have them by next week. Then, I'll send them to American Stitchs so they can complete the work. I expect they will cost about $20. I'll suppliment if it is more for best reference.

Problem solved, and I'll have a factory original match.

Good luck.
Old 09-01-03, 10:24 PM
Synergy

Great idea dahozzman! I will visit my local dealer and see if they can referr me to a local company who can match the leather exactly.

Last edited by Synergy; 09-01-03 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-02-03, 09:55 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Synergy, what you might think of doing is chaning the airbag too. Maybe a black airbag? Depends on what you are willing to spend and the look you are going for.
Old 09-02-03, 10:41 PM
Synergy

Originally posted by LexRX
Synergy, what you might think of doing is chaning the airbag too. Maybe a black airbag? Depends on what you are willing to spend and the look you are going for.
That is an idea as well....can American Stitches redo the airbag w/o disassembling the actual airbag itself? I am concerned that the airbag redone in leather would be rather expensive because of the labor involved??
Old 09-02-03, 11:26 PM
dahozzman
Rookie

Default Do NOT mess with the air bag

A very very very bad idea to do anything other than completly replace it with a factory black version.

First, I doubt any upholsterer would touch it due to the liability issue of they being blamed for improper inflation from an accident. Most important, you have to be alive to get any benefit of $ from a liability claim of any sort.

Should not EVEN be a consideration.

Old 09-03-03, 12:56 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Default Re: Do NOT mess with the air bag

Originally posted by dahozzman
...bad idea to do anything other than completly replace it with a factory black version.
This is what I was suggesting, not doing any modifications. Please, don't modify the airbag.
Old 09-03-03, 10:49 PM
Synergy

gotcha - thanks for the feedback! I actually spoke to American Stitches today and they went to a third party to find an exact gray match. The lady told me that Club Lexus has sent a ton of business to them and they felt it was a necessary move. I think Manaray's nastygram helped them make this wise decision!!! I can't wait to get the wheel!!
Old 09-07-03, 08:32 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow this group buy is still going on. I want to get down w/ the GB.

ClubLexus PAID Members:
3-Spoke Wheel - $384
4-Spoke Wheel - $350 (unless I can get 6+ buyers which will make the price $330)

ClubLexus NON-Paid Members:
3-Spoke Wheel - $414
4-Spoke Wheel - $380 (6+ NON-Paid Members will make it $360)

Lurkers (Non-Members):
3-spoke Wheel - $434
4-Spoke Wheel - $400 (Flat, no quantity discounts PERIOD.)

Ok now this is the "final" price breakdown that I could find from the 30+ post I read LOL... Now I guess my status is NON PAID MEMBER and I'm actually getting this wood wheel for my Legend Coupe. Our wheels are 4 spoke so i guess i'll be paying $380. How much is it to become a paid member. I should be getting a SC/GS soon to add to my collection of rides and this forum has always been a great place to visit. I'd e feel honored to be a member.

Just tell me the details on how get this going.
Thanks.

Last edited by SprtDesign; 09-07-03 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-07-03, 09:24 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For more information on becoming a Paid Member, click here: https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/article/frontpage/3

Thanks...... thumbup:
:
Old 09-07-03, 10:02 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Are those prices listed just a few posts ago the cost of adding the wood to the steering wheel AND redoing the leather? If so, it sounds pretty good. I recall last time I checked doing the wood thing was a little under 500.
Old 09-08-03, 10:13 AM
certless
Driver School Candidate

Default temp 470 wheel

still looking for a temp wheel to order a wood one for my 99 470 if anyone has that will fit?
Old 09-08-03, 01:11 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Price drop???

Gee.... did the price drop on this group buy? I got my about 4 months ago and now the wheel is back to AS because of Wood is splitting. I remeber paying for almost 500....
Old 09-08-03, 02:01 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Default Re: Price drop???

Originally posted by GSXOTIC
Gee.... did the price drop on this group buy? I got my about 4 months ago and now the wheel is back to AS because of Wood is splitting. I remeber paying for almost 500....
Well, I know what I'M not going to have done in the near future. Such a pity, it looks so nice... has anyone else experienced this problem?

Quick Reply: ** UPDATE ** Wood Steering Wheel Group Buy