Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

Brake Deal Group Buy Pricing Breakdown

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-02, 04:31 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my brake pads R out...

need to replace them to sell the car..

might go with the supra sence alot of people think its a better choice.. im begging to think that too, i might just be able to convince my rents for a supra... (they hate that car, too many teens wreck it)

but yeah NO NSX

as of my our insurance is 800$ full covg. with all state

if i remove the GS and add a NSX insurance is gonna be close to 1100$

So i dont think its sucha good move.. if i add in a supra the insurance goes down a little to $778

Last edited by CamRen; 06-11-02 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-11-02, 06:47 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by manaray
Thanks for the work there Ken!...and of course, to Steve Ganz and his crew (wassup Angel!)

I think I need a set of rear silver cad rotors...
Mike, you read my mind. Now we need someone to second source AP rotors for us. As you know, Stillen is charging us ~$300 for each rotor. Some guy went to an AP source in England to get them for ~$300 a pair!

Ken, how much would it be for the rear rotors only? I just picked up a pair of Steve Ganz's left over TRD rear rotors a month ago, but since the price is good, won't hurt to stock a pair on hand.

The set of four pricing seems competitive with stock rotor pricing. I don't see how someone could pass this up because stock rotors have to be replaced anyway due to wear.
Old 06-11-02, 06:58 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Q.. This group buy stuff is too much work.. HAHA.. Steve must be tired of talking to me by now..

Price on the rear rotors only you would have to work that out with Mr Ganz.. I only got package pricing

Anyways guys Steve did send me the Shim Kit Pricing so look at the first post for the update.. Still no word about the EBC Pads Pricing compared to Tire Rack.. Will confirm tomorrow when I talk to Steve..

Thanks guys!
Old 06-11-02, 10:28 PM
RacingAristo

Ken,

The brake lines for GS are made by Impulse?

Old 06-12-02, 03:41 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Ken,

The brake lines for GS are made by Impulse?
RA,

Goodridge makes the SS lines from the info that Steve sent me.. As soon as Steve sends me my parts I will post up pictures unless someone in CA can drop by Carson and take some pictures for me..
Old 06-12-02, 09:24 AM
lex430
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
Supra Front Rotors are for the guys who already have Supra TT Calipers and want new cross drilled / slotted rotors.. Hope that explains the difference!
Am I right to say that the Supra rotors are bigger than the GS rotors in the group buy? What is the size difference? I guess I am thinking of whether to do Supra upgrade, or just stay with stock size.

also, what does shim kit do?

thanks for any inputs,
Old 06-12-02, 02:39 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

I hope Erick G doesn't mind but for the guys who want to see how the cross drilled / slotted rotors look like he has some excellent pictures of his Supra Upgrade Kit that he also got from Steve Ganz.. Just hit this link below:

http://www.silverstorminc.com/calipers/

As for the EBC Greenstuff Pads the pricing does not change.. The pricing above is what Steve gets them for.. So you can go on Tire Rack and buy those pads if you wish but then you won't be able to buy the rotors which are well over $100 less across the board than he usually charges.. Ok I am finally done.. When my Brake Package comes i'll take some photos of the parts before I go to get them installed.. Remember this deal ends June 30, 2002.

Any further questions please forward them off to Steve Ganz (SUPRATRD).. His contact info is:

Email: gonzo4u@earthlink.net
Phone #: 1-800-908-6968
Old 06-12-02, 05:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Hmm... I'm sure this is a great deal, but I have some concerns/questions:

1) General - I'm concerned about using non-Toyota/Lexus parts on our cars.

2) Why are these EBC any better than Toyota/Lexus pads? Are there any downsides to them (squeaks, excessive dust, etc.)?

3) I'm sure the steel brake lines are decent (I'd like to improve brake feel and I understand these will help) but I guess they have to drain/refill/bleed all the fluid to replace them, right?

4) As far as the rotors go, I assume our factory ones last a good long time (50K miles?) so I'm reluctant to throw away 20K+ worth of rotor life given that I don't expect any dramatic improvement in braking with these new ones (except for less fade when hot). In fact I think this may bring less braking power since the slots rotors take away from the braking area. True?

5) Seems like this is more of a cosmetic upgrade, would that be true?

6) Will my dealer know how to install these 'shims' and the rest of it? Seems likely they won't want to install them at all since they're not Lexus/TRD parts. I'm not sure about finding another brake shop...

Sorry for all the questions/concerns... don't want to mess up my car that currently has working brakes!
Old 06-12-02, 06:39 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EBC pads are made with kevlar.. max power rated them best pads.. they are AWSOME i have had my eye on them since they first came out a logn time ago.. the only reason i didnt get them was cause i didnt wanna order from two places (tire rack and steve) but now i find out steve sells them too im kicking myself in the ****! well anyways im happy with my TRD pads and rotors but the dust is killin me!!

ken i *MAY* be interested in the stainless brake lines... am i allowed into the deal?
Old 06-12-02, 06:50 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sasha,

From the first post, you can get the brake lines without the rest of the brake parts but it ould cost you $126 instead of $110. Unless Steve has raised his prices, though, another member had reported earlier that he bought these Goodrich brake lines from Steve for $126. This means no GP discount unless you buy everything.

I was contemplating the same thing you are since I had already bought the TRD brakes from the deal Steve had awhile back. I was waiting for my brakes to wear a bit more before replacing the stock ones with the TRD ones. It does not make sense for me to buy more rotors and pads when I have not even installed brand new TRD ones. With all the complaints about TRD dust, I am not looking forward to this aspect when I do install them.

Last edited by Neo; 06-12-02 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-12-02, 08:36 PM
GS3-Kid858
Driver

Okay since we got this GB i'm wondering how many people are still in for this? I'm still in...can't beat a deal like this

ted
Old 06-13-02, 07:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Awaiting answers... (tap, tap, tap)...
Old 06-13-02, 07:54 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Hey bit, you got a slight reply but here goes, 2SAVVY will probably jump in if I foul things up.

1. I have great respect for Toyota/Lexus and would not try to convince you to not use their parts (forgive the double negative). Having said that, I also think that Toyota/Lexus, like any car manufacturer,is constantly trading off between meeting customers needs and economics. I'd rather not go off on the stock shocks again but they are a case in point. The stock GS430 shocks are junk. There are many very superior aftermarket parts, I went with bilstein, and I have no qualms about their quality. Don't know about the rotors in this package but Steve Ganz vouches for them and he sees a lot of parts.

2. The EBC Greenstuff are based on a Kevlar compound and from my investigation, their advantages are minimal rotor wear (they claim no rotor wear), higher and more consistent braking performance, better thermal resistance, and last but not least, virtually dust free. If they live up to the advertising, and I have talked to people who say they do, they are one of the best replacement pads you can get.

3. Don't see how you can replace the lines without bleeding and adding fluid. Don't have to drain the whole system but you will need to bleed and add fluid. Having said that, stainless lines are a stainless braid on the outside of either a rubber or teflon hose with fittings swaged on. The theory is that if the plain rubber hose would swell because of the brake pressure, the braid will apply some force (they can't be that tight or they wear through the hose) and prevent the swelling. Affect on brake feel? Pretty over rated from my experience. Don't get me wrong, it is worth doing but if you figure it is going to make the stockers feel like Brembo's, you will be very disappointed. They also have a dark side as they have been known, if not done well, to fray and cut the underlying hose.

4. My experience with the stock rotors is pretty good after a year. Now I probably won't make friends with the following. In the olden days, brake pads had binders that did emit gases that could actually cause the pad to float on an air pocket instead of pushing on the rotor. So, rotors were drilled to let the gas escape. Worked great. What worked better was getting rid of the binders and dramatically reducing the outgassing which almost all new pad combinations have done. The slotting accomplishes the same thing but is more known for helping to deglaze the pad making sure you don't glaze pads up (a good thing as Martha would say). The downside of drilling the rotor is stress nonuniformity that make the rotor crack, usually violently. People have various technologies for this problem (the EBC rotors are not drilled all the way through for this exact reason) but I for one am still very cautious on drilled rotors if they are not done very well, ala Brembo. This is probably also the reason why I and one or two other guys requested just slotted rotors if possible for the group buy. Improvement in braking? Probably some particularly when hot but might also be unnoticeable for some people. One other thing, the cad plating makes breaking in (not braking in) a much more lengthy process. The cad plate will eventually wear off and this is when the pads are seating but if you watch it, it will take several hundred miles to occur. Just something to be aware of. If I went in on the group buy, I wouldn't replace functioning rotors with these, just put them on the shelf till needed.

5. Probably,with the exceptions noted above, but then how many of all the mods done here are cosmetic?

6. If I am not wrong, the shims referred to are the various anti squeal shims that are on the stock pads. I assume people want a new set rather than reuse the old ones. You definitely want to use these but your dealer or suspension shop might look at you strange and wonder why you don't want to just reuse the ones that are on the car already.

Obviously, there is opinion in this and I am sure if anyone disagrees they will post their opinions but didn't want you to feel ignored.

Ron
Old 06-13-02, 08:04 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Ok Bit let me try to answer your questions:

1) Personally I wouldn't put these on my wife's car if I thought in anyway shape or form they were worse than the factory setup..

2) EBC pads like Sasha said are one of the best in the industry.. Little to no dust like the factory setup yet when you want to push the car a bit you won't have any worries about fade especially with the slotted/drilled rotors..

3) New fluid is a must with the new SS lines..

4) Not sure how to answer this question except to say with this setup you will yield better braking distance even with slotted and drilled rotors.. Wish I had the hard numbers to back this up but this was from the seat of the pants experience in a similar setup on a Corvette Stock Upgrade very silmilar to this one..

5) I would say 50% of my reasoning for getting this brake upgrade is cosmetic but I know from personal experience on another car other than the GS that this brake setup is better than our stock ones..

6) Dealer installs shims (Factory Part) at least up here (Northern Climate has an adverse effect thus making re-using of old shims impossible at times) on every brake job that involves changing the pads.. As for the rest of the parts I don't see any dealer in North America having an issue installing these parts but I could be wrong.. Best advice is call your dealer and tell them what you want to do and hear what they have to say.. My dealer has no issues and will be installing this for me when the parts arrive..

In the end its just my word you have to go by.. If you truly want the best brake upgrade get a 4 pot Supra Brake System or 6 pot AP Racing but then again most folks don't have $1500 to $3000 to spend on a full brake system.. Then of course you would have to make sure you had rims that have a high disk fitiment in order to get such a brake system to work too..

Like I said if you have any additional questions.. Steve Ganz should be able to answer them.. I have no personal gain in this deal except for getting the same pricing as the first post.. My motivation was to organize something for ClubLexus Members since they have paid to become a member but not all of them get a chance at a possible group buy since most usually only involve the GS and with Steve's help I wanted to bring something to the table for almost all the CL Members could have a shot at..

With all that said this deal stays in effect till June 30, 2002

Last edited by 2SAVVY; 06-13-02 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-13-02, 08:07 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Thanks Ron you did a better job explaining that than I did..

Quick Reply: Brake Deal Group Buy Pricing Breakdown