Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

Possible Group Buy: Wood Steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-02, 06:12 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default no such thing

From what I read, CL is not even accepting for Paid Members which makes the whole thing mute. Im reconsidering on this now. I sent $ in for the dyno and never received a response so im not sure if someone even got it. I cannot even become a Paid Member but........it is held against you. The last person on a previous thread got his GS wheel done at American Stitches for 400.00 even. No group buy. No politics. Hmmm,,,,
Old 05-15-02, 07:00 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: no such thing

Originally posted by Pearlpower
From what I read, CL is not even accepting for Paid Members which makes the whole thing mute. Im reconsidering on this now. I sent $ in for the dyno and never received a response so im not sure if someone even got it. I cannot even become a Paid Member but........it is held against you. The last person on a previous thread got his GS wheel done at American Stitches for 400.00 even. No group buy. No politics. Hmmm,,,,
I pmed Ethan (Static911). He gave me a mail address and a paypal. Paid member I am!!

Not too difficult.

Ryan

Last edited by AgGS400; 05-15-02 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-15-02, 08:11 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default good deal

Sounds good. I sent a PM and am waiting for a response. I was going to get the chrome emblem for the center of the steering wheel, however Steve told me that it was too large.
Old 05-16-02, 01:18 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pearl, if you donated to the "Help save the Dynos foundation", then you are considered "a paid member" as far as this group buy goes. No politics, just trying to offer clear cut advantages to people who help ClubLexus.

As for the chrome emblem, I'd be careful...the older airbags were NOT designed with that "feature" in mind. If it's not done right, it's going to turn into a serious projectile if your airbag goes off...not worth the risk IMO...
Old 05-16-02, 09:44 AM
Static911

Yep, Pearlpower did donate to help save the independent dyno test fund. We initially had some confusion, but, later, we figured it out.

But for those who want to take an active role on ClubLexus, here is the link to the paid membership.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=47515

Ethan
Old 05-17-02, 03:54 PM
eppan
Pole Position

Manaray, When do you think the next batch will go out.

I have a friend who is a toyota tech and he will remove my wheel for me. Also, I won't need a loaner...just got my truck fixed .

I will miss driving my GS for a couple of weeks.

Last edited by eppan; 05-17-02 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-17-02, 07:19 PM
GJSGS4
Driver

Originally posted by manaray
Ok folks, the hold up is this...

I think most people are interested in seeing a sample and an independent review. So I'm basically waiting for my wheel to be completed so that people can see what it REALLY looks like. I'm also doing the PhotoGenesis Process (PGP) to get the "burl wood" look...some people also showed concern with the length of the wood...

Now if your cash is just BURNING a hole in your pocket, email me at gs430@hotmail.com and I'll get you going right away...but this is for NON-loaners only (as both loaner wheels are being used right now).
Manary, Did you get a straight, slant, or slash cut on the leather wood interface? Did you send them a wood sample? If yes what piece did you send? Any word on when your wheel is due back.
Old 05-18-02, 03:53 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

GJSGS4 - I just opted for the "factoryish" straight cut...also, I figure it's more "durable" because there is no thin edge (on the slant/slash, the wood comes to a thinner point)...dunno if the durability is REALLY any less, but I think the straight cut will be good enough for me...

At first, I wasn't going to send them a sample but then I decided to just to make sure the match the color, grain, and clearcoat finish as close as possible. I sent in the piece that's behind the door handle/door lock on the passenger side (this is on a SC400).

My main concern was that the clearcoat's "gloss" (or lack there of) matched the stock wood...on my SC400, the finish is like "satin", not like my GS430 which is a "high gloss" finish...

Eppan, I figuring that the "non-loaner" group's wheel will go out in 2 weeks...

Please be patient! I know a lot of you emailed me and were concerned about the quality, color, and wood size of the wheels...plus some of you were interested in the Burl PGP...when I get my wheel back, I will do a review with high res, close up photos of the wood, the seams, the interface between the wood and leather, and pictures of it installed in the car...
Old 05-18-02, 03:28 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought another steering wheel for loan to 4 spoke wheel holders. Once mine is done someone can use the loaner for the same deal Manaray is giving - $150 and then $30 back when received. I did this so my wheel can be taken car of now and then SC400 owners can get their wheel in without having their var be undrivable for a couple weeks.
Old 05-18-02, 10:10 PM
pongydoo
Driver

what about 1st generation LS400??? Can we fit them on the 1st generation LS, or is it mostly for the GS? I'm not too sure if the steering wheel are the same for all Lexus. Very interested!
Old 05-20-02, 03:03 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

LS400's can use the SC steering wheels I believe...I am working on getting a LS400 wheel specifically though...

I need all you 4-spoke guys (older SC/LS/GS/ES) to email me. Right now, I only have 2 people for this group. We need MORE!

Email me gs430@mac.com and put at the subject one of the following (pick the one that applies to you!):

ClubLexus Wood Wheel Buy - 4 spoke/NO loaner

ClubLexus Wood Wheel Buy - 4 spoke/NEED loaner

I need to tally up the 4-spoke guys...

--------

Everyone else, my wheel should be in sometime LATE next week or early in the week after that...I RECOMMEND you WAIT and see my photos and reviews so you know exactly what you're getting (and what the burl PGP process looks like in detail)....but....If ANYONE WHO DOES NOT NEED A LOANER is DYING to get their wheel out RIGHT NOW, send me a email (gs430@mac.com) and put at the subject one of the following (pick the one that applies to you!):

URGENT Wood Wheel Buy - 3 spoke/NO loaner

URGENT Wood Wheel Buy - 4 spoke/NO loaner

Remember, I will need at least 5 people of EACH GROUP to send your order out. You will get via the email exactly how you go about paying for it.

Last time I posted something simliar, no one emailed me so I'm going to assume that everyone wants to wait and see the results of my wheel first. Now note that my wheel that's being done is a 4-spoke SC wheel. However, the diamter is the same as the GS 3-spoke wheel so the length of the wood should be the same (I know this was a concern for some of you.)...

Last edited by Manaray; 05-20-02 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-20-02, 04:27 AM
eppan
Pole Position

Ok, I have some more information...

They are also going to offer both "Slash" and "Slant" cuts also for $10 and $20 extra respectively...
Manaray,

Just wanted to double check. Are the prices for the Slash and Slant correct?

I thought the Slant which is a straight angled cut is cheaper than the slash which is harder to do. I remember that is what American Stiches told me....but I could be wrong.

Please clarify. Thanks.
Old 05-20-02, 06:26 AM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone else, my wheel should be in sometime LATE next week or early in the week after that...I RECOMMEND you WAIT and see my photos and reviews so you know exactly what you're getting
I did not know it took so long. If feels like its been waiting a month to see these pictures.
Old 05-21-02, 06:57 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

The prices for the slash/slant is correct...

Also, the reason why it's taken so long is because the wheel wasn't actually sent OUT a month ago...I took a couple weeks of dicussions between ClubLexus and American Stitches to work out all aspects of this deal (it's not as easy as you may thing ).

What's the rush? Your car isn't going anywhere, American Stitches isn't going anywhere, ClubLexus isn't going anywhere...

Like I said, if you want to buy sight unseen, email me. So far, NO ONE has emailed me. So I'm assuming that EVERYONE wants wait for my review...
Old 05-21-02, 07:45 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will send mine in as soon as I pick up my car at the body shop and swap with my other wheel. Manaray how do we handle this. If we send in a wheel how do they know to give us a discount? Is there some sort of code you will PM us with or will you give them a list of our addresses to match? Otherwise it may become confusing. Also I was wondering if all the SC400 owners have contacted you with their info. There should be six of us to bump us into the special buy. If more 4-spoke LS owners join in then maybe we could get an even larger discount.

Quick Reply: Possible Group Buy: Wood Steering wheel