CL Vendor Products for SC300/SC400 New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the 1SC model from CL Vendors

Now taking preorders: 50MM Front Fenders, Vented AND Non-Vented!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-17, 12:41 AM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wheel comparisons on fender

So I finally got a chance to throw a KBD fender on the driver side of my car. Keep in mind my vehicle's front camber is close to zero. I ran -3 degrees all around for over 6 years and no longer wanted to run stretched tires especially with my future power goals. Pardon my dirty garage as I'm a new homeowner still trying to organize things.

1st wheel used in my comparison was a 18x10 +15 Racing Hart Type C2 with 245/40/18 tire.

Comparison to stock fender with about a 25mm pull

2nd wheel I attempted to compare fender with was 20x10.5 +30 SSR SP3 with a 255/30/20 wrap
Unfortunately the low disk wheels did not fit with my LS calipers, so I mocked up a 25mm spacer with another (5mm lip of spacer center bore that did not fit into center bore of SSR) to bring the wheel to a 0 offset. I didn't get a chance to lower the car to ground level for comparison since I did not want to damage the spacer or the wheel as it was not seated flush on the backspace of the wheel.

From my observations these wheels would have actually appear fit pretty well if I were able to mount them without the spacer as the natural camber of the vehicle would have probably brought the outside of the wheel pretty close to the fender lip or maybe even have a little poke with the 255/30 tire combo. However, like other members concerns you would have to run a very stiff suspension to keep from biting the fender on the tires as you will see in my next wheel comparison.

3rd setup consisted of Work Bersaglio Mesh 2 19x10.5 -18 with a 225/35/19 wrap. I have fit these in the past with -3 camber on Vertex ridge (50mm) front fenders with a 245/35/19 with just a slight poke (which makes me question how the 50mm measurements were taken)

I bought these fenders with the intent of fitting a more aggressive set of wheels along with meatier tires. However, after making comparisons with the sets of wheels I have currently in my possession I think I will have to reassess my options. In case any of you are wondering, I am not going to just slap on any of the set of wheels I tried on and drive around. I already had plans to relip a set or two in the near future.

I may or may not use these fenders as there are some areas that I think need to be addressed. From my experience, it looks as if the 2 o'clock position of my fenders were not widened at all. Myself and a couple of my friends noticed that the width in that area still appears stock but it appears the vented fenders may have been widened a tad from the pictures I've seen posted. The majority of the front area of the fender towards the bumper tends to be where most of the widening has been addressed. I think this can easily be altered by hacking up a stock fender and using the center area as a support to keep the fender flared out evenly or making some type of brackets to keep the fender widened in the 2 o'clock position and rigid. Lastly, another detail I wish that could have been kept on these fenders is the rounded area of the fender where it meets the corners of the front bumper. If you look at my passenger shots compared to the driver side shots, you will notice the rounded curve that the stock fenders have is no longer present in the widened fenders.

Again these are just my opinions. I feel that KBD is producing awesome products for the SC community and love my poly AC kit from them and am looking forward to the rear overfenders.

I will throw my Type C2 18x10.5 +15 265/35/18 in the front tomorrow when I get a chance for those looking at meaty fitment front with these fenders.

Last edited by Deceptik1; 01-07-17 at 01:09 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Deceptik1:
Deegee (01-10-17), gerrb (01-07-17), jadu (01-17-17)
Old 01-07-17, 05:24 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Deceptik1
Lastly, another detail I wish that could have been kept on these fenders is the rounded area of the fender where it meets the corners of the front bumper. If you look at my passenger shots compared to the driver side shots, you will notice the rounded curve that the stock fenders have is no longer present in the widened fenders.

Again these are just my opinions. I feel that KBD is producing awesome products for the SC community and love my poly AC kit from them and am looking forward to the rear overfenders.
Thanks for all your observations. Feedbacks like these allow the manufacturers to do better products for which we thank them for doing so.

I actually noticed the same observation you had about the fender roundness on a previous picture but I refrained from commenting about it because the front bumper wasn't from the APTech Kit. I thought the fender was just being pulled by the bumper so the fender didn't look like round. Now that you have your pictures using an APTech bumper , it confirms what I observed before .

Name:  round1b_zpsgyjqf55i.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  236.5 KB
Old 01-08-17, 04:51 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Deceptik1
I may or may not use these fenders as there are some areas that I think need to be addressed. From my experience, it looks as if the 2 o'clock position of my fenders were not widened at all. Myself and a couple of my friends noticed that the width in that area still appears stock but it appears the vented fenders may have been widened a tad from the pictures I've seen posted. The majority of the front area of the fender towards the bumper tends to be where most of the widening has been addressed. I think this can easily be altered by hacking up a stock fender and using the center area as a support to keep the fender flared out evenly or making some type of brackets to keep the fender widened in the 2 o'clock position and rigid. Lastly, another detail I wish that could have been kept on these fenders is the rounded area of the fender where it meets the corners of the front bumper. If you look at my passenger shots compared to the driver side shots, you will notice the rounded curve that the stock fenders have is no longer present in the widened fenders.
I noticed the same thing when I was test fitting the vented fender. It was only flared out roughly 11mm over the stock fender. I haven't seen the oem style fender in person yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if what you said about the oem style fender being true.

I'm jealous of your wheel collection. Every time I've tried to buy a set of racing hart type C2 (or type c) and ssr sp3 it has never worked out for me. The timing was bad or the rims needed too much work.
Old 01-17-17, 02:59 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Irving - just want to know if you are still working on this or have dropped the project ?
Old 01-17-17, 09:55 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

What I am wondering about is if they have plans to make some less drastic project pieces for the SC.

I appreciate the effort and the attention for this chassis....but I would never put any of these crazy kits on my car. This is straight drift/beater type parts in my opinion that would require the complete hacking of the car to make it work.

You'd sell alot more if you made some parts that appeal to the masses on here. Let's be honest, how many widebody SCs are running around vs. non-widebody.
Old 01-17-17, 11:08 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The AC style kits is probably the least aggressive kit for the sc, any less aggressive it would just be a 97+ kit.

I placed an order for the rears and front and can't wait for mine to be shipped.
Old 01-17-17, 11:16 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Couple locals have their AC kits. I haven't seen them in person, but I hear they are excellent.
Old 01-17-17, 11:37 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Halon
Couple locals have their AC kits. I haven't seen them in person, but I hear they are excellent.
I was talking more about this widebody, crazy rear wing stuff.

Nobody around here would ever knock the AC kit which is like the cleanest full kit ever made for the SC.
Old 01-17-17, 11:53 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

I personally am not into the big wing crazy widebody stuff either. I prefer a clean, simple, subtle look myself. But it's cool to see them trying to make stuff that's less common, even if it's not my cup of tea.

Yes I agree the AC kit is very clean, and I guess all I was getting at is that is a kit they do make that does appeal to the masses. Which sells enough that it probably helps them fund some of these new more wild ideas.
Old 01-17-17, 12:08 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

I feel like these ideas will make SCs into the next 240SX....
Old 01-17-17, 12:15 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Looking at the number of wide body kits sold on Ebay items and talking to one body kit provider looks like there is a good number of people wanting them in spite of the fact that they are made of fiberglass knock off of vertex or other brands.

So making one in poly-urethane which no other company have would I believe be attractive to some. That is what they are banking on I guess marketing wise. Looks like their AC kit was a real success so they are trying to complete the kit with the corresponding fenders and quarter panels. They have nothing to loose. They make the molds with a definite number of group buy to help on expense. Then once they have the mold , it is all a matter of fabricating one every time there is an order.

I honestly not in favor of cutting up the quarter panels to fit wider rims on a wide body but that is the only way I see to fit wider rims .. no other way . So it is a non desirable necessity for someone who wants a wide body and very wide rims. Am not crazy about wild wings either but having a spare shell , I don't mind trying a wide body and fit in 345s and see how it looks. That's the beauty of having more than one SC . As long as it flows well with their AC Kit and the car still looks classy , I might like it. I already have one with the 92-94 look, one with 95-96 look, one with 97-2000 look , one with AC Kit look so I might as well try a wide body with the AC kit . I have quite a number of concerns though that has to be addressed before I will go into it.

Take note of the demographics of SC ownership that makes some of these kit attractive .

Last edited by gerrb; 01-17-17 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-17-17, 12:51 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I feel like these ideas will make SCs into the next 240SX....
God I hope not!!
Old 01-17-17, 12:59 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gerrb
Looking at the number of wide body kits sold on Ebay items and talking to one body kit provider looks like there is a good number of people wanting them in spite of the fact that they are made of fiberglass knock off of vertex or other brands.

So making one in poly-urethane which no other company have would I believe be attractive to some. That is what they are banking on I guess marketing wise. Looks like their AC kit was a real success so they are trying to complete the kit with the corresponding fenders and quarter panels. They have nothing to loose. They make the molds with a definite number of group buy to help on expense. Then once they have the mold , it is all a matter of fabricating one every time there is an order.

I honestly not in favor of cutting up the quarter panels to fit wider rims on a wide body but that is the only way I see to fit wider rims .. no other way . So it is a non desirable necessity for someone who wants a wide body and very wide rims. Am not crazy about wild wings either but having a spare shell , I don't mind trying a wide body and fit in 345s and see how it looks. That's the beauty of having more than one SC . As long as it flows well with their AC Kit and the car still looks classy , I might like it. I already have one with the 92-94 look, one with 95-96 look, one with 97-2000 look , one with AC Kit look so I might as well try a wide body with the AC kit . I have quite a number of concerns though that has to be addressed before I will go into it.

Take note of the demographics of SC ownership that makes some of these kit attractive .
I agree. Not ideal to chop up the rear panels. But what do you do. I'd love to run wider tires in the rear, and that would be my reasoning behind doing it if I ever did. For me it'd be all about fatter tires, more footprint to help plant power. But I really like a clean and subtle look, so I'd only do it if it wasn't ridiculous, but a slight widening in the rear that's clean and subtle.

For example, I would not like something that looked like this. Just looks wide and out of place:

But something like this I could like (rear only).
Old 01-17-17, 02:51 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

It has to be subtle and classy looking for me . I don't mind supporting this look in one of my SCs exceptt no front fender openings for me so it looks more OEM. I think your second picture has same 50mm wide quarter panels.
Name:  red3_zpsfqqvckkd.jpg
Views: 3372
Size:  51.1 KB
Old 01-17-17, 02:53 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

How wide of a tire do you guys need to run lol? I am running 315/35 very easily with room to spare on a lowered car. Only a roll and very mild pull on the stock body.

Quick Reply: Now taking preorders: 50MM Front Fenders, Vented AND Non-Vented!