CL Vendor Products for RC-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the RC-F model from CL Vendors

New Product **Varis Lightweight Carbon Fiber Hood for RCF!!**

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-15, 05:03 PM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default **Varis Lightweight Carbon Fiber Hood for RCF!!**

VARIS LIGHTWEIGHT CARBON FIBER COOLING BONNET FOR LEXUS RC-F

BULLETPROOF AUTOMOTIVE
sales@bulletproofautomotive.com

Hey everybody we have really exciting news! Our partners Varis just made a huge leap in performance aftermarket parts market for the RC and RCF platform.

They have successfully produced one of the very first lightweight carbon fiber vented hoods for the RC/RC-F platform.

We showed you guys a teaser photo not long ago and now they've released the final product.

It's a gorgeous hood and the engineering and build quality is spectacular.

Lexus really engineered the factory hood so well, it was difficult for other aftermarket manufacturers to replicate the shape while also providing the structural support needed for the hood to work properly. The RC/RC-F hood is large and the design is oddly shaped so in order to make an aftermarket option, a lot of thought and man hours had to be put in to the design and R&D of this hood to successfully create something that would satisfy Varis's high level of standards.

We've been waiting a long time for ours to show up so we're more than excited to finally see this thing.

We haven't received final pricing yet. As soon as Varis updates us with final cost, we'll let everybody know.

If you'd like me to personally follow up with you, please PM me your full name, email address, and phone number. I'll get you guys on my list for follow ups.

Bulletproof Automotive is your official importer and distributor for Varis parts so message me or email us at sales@bulletproofautomotive.com for more details.

Name:  10295924_1025696140787126_421070911555547300_o.jpg
Views: 2817
Size:  198.7 KB

Name:  10648308_1025696097453797_6737018160643416241_o.jpg
Views: 2204
Size:  175.8 KB

Last edited by BPauto; 12-23-15 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-24-15, 07:23 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

i am very excited that the hood is available, however i dont think it is very practical. Not all people who want the hood want to large holes for water and dirt to enter the engine. Im sure it works great. Have they done any testing to see if it pulls too much air out of the engine bay that could possibly choke out the intake?
Old 12-27-15, 08:44 PM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
i am very excited that the hood is available, however i dont think it is very practical. Not all people who want the hood want to large holes for water and dirt to enter the engine. Im sure it works great. Have they done any testing to see if it pulls too much air out of the engine bay that could possibly choke out the intake?

Great questions. All Varis hoods come with carbon fiber rain guards that attach easily on the underside of the hood. Literally you just loosen a few small bolts and slide them off when the weather is nice. If it rains, you can easily slide them back on.

Varis does produce amazingly high-quality aero parts for a number of different cars. For many of the older GS owners, the RIDOX GS300 kit might be a familiar kit which is made by Varis as well. They do quite a bit of R&D, engineering, and testings on all of their parts. Many of their parts are used on both street cars and track cars around the world.

Once you see one of their pieces in person, you really get a better understanding of how well their parts are engineered and produced.

We have one on order so we'll post up detailed photos once it arrives.
Old 12-28-15, 10:52 PM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This hood looks insane! Should help with under hood temps at the track too.
Old 12-29-15, 08:59 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BPauto
Great questions. All Varis hoods come with carbon fiber rain guards that attach easily on the underside of the hood. Literally you just loosen a few small bolts and slide them off when the weather is nice. If it rains, you can easily slide them back on.

Varis does produce amazingly high-quality aero parts for a number of different cars. For many of the older GS owners, the RIDOX GS300 kit might be a familiar kit which is made by Varis as well. They do quite a bit of R&D, engineering, and testings on all of their parts. Many of their parts are used on both street cars and track cars around the world.

Once you see one of their pieces in person, you really get a better understanding of how well their parts are engineered and produced.

We have one on order so we'll post up detailed photos once it arrives.

are those the only photos you have? and it only comes in the satin finish and not gloss
Old 12-29-15, 01:33 PM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FR500GT
This hood looks insane! Should help with under hood temps at the track too.
Yessir!! The Lexus V8 is a beast of a motor but it does produce a lot of heat especially under harsh track conditions. This hood will definitely help alleviate those high engine bay temps. Not to mention, the RCF hood is quite large so having a lightweight carbon hood can really help shave off some of those excess pounds.

are those the only photos you have? and it only comes in the satin finish and not gloss
As of right now those are the only photos we have from Varis at the moment. As soon as we have more, we'll be sure to post those up for you guys. Most of the Varis carbon fiber comes with a glossy coat of gel resin. Some vendors will specify on their site that they offer special clear coating options but typically a lot of the carbon fiber that comes from Japan does not include clear coat.

Most of these parts are made for racing purposes only so many race teams see no use for clear coat on their body parts. Since many of us use our cars for show and street purposes, we highly recommend anybody that purchases any aftermarket carbon part to take it to their local body shop to have them spray a layer of good quality clear coat on it. It'll help protect the carbon from fading or discoloring and will add that extra glossy layer of shine to the carbon as well. Many people will forego the clear coat process and just keep the gel resin. It'll still look great when you receive it, however, with extended use in the sun, the resin will fade and deteriorate quickly so you start seeing milkiness in the coating.

Here are some photos of our customer's RCF with the full Varis carbon fiber lip kit before he got any clear coating on it. You can see the pieces come glossy.

Name:  _DSC7415%202_zpss3sjdtya.jpg
Views: 4387
Size:  305.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1562%202_zpsghlsnkdl.jpg
Views: 2674
Size:  269.9 KB

Name:  _DSC7426%202_zpsq5tpidgk.jpg
Views: 1984
Size:  248.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1612%202_zpshbupnnbw.jpg
Views: 4483
Size:  234.1 KB
Old 12-31-15, 05:24 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Sick *** hood!! Why no Varis for the ISF? :'(

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 01-01-16, 10:18 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Yessir!! The Lexus V8 is a beast of a motor but it does produce a lot of heat especially under harsh track conditions. This hood will definitely help alleviate those high engine bay temps. Not to mention, the RCF hood is quite large so having a lightweight carbon hood can really help shave off some of those excess pounds.

As of right now those are the only photos we have from Varis at the moment. As soon as we have more, we'll be sure to post those up for you guys. Most of the Varis carbon fiber comes with a glossy coat of gel resin. Some vendors will specify on their site that they offer special clear coating options but typically a lot of the carbon fiber that comes from Japan does not include clear coat.

Most of these parts are made for racing purposes only so many race teams see no use for clear coat on their body parts. Since many of us use our cars for show and street purposes, we highly recommend anybody that purchases any aftermarket carbon part to take it to their local body shop to have them spray a layer of good quality clear coat on it. It'll help protect the carbon from fading or discoloring and will add that extra glossy layer of shine to the carbon as well. Many people will forego the clear coat process and just keep the gel resin. It'll still look great when you receive it, however, with extended use in the sun, the resin will fade and deteriorate quickly so you start seeing milkiness in the coating.

Here are some photos of our customer's RCF with the full Varis carbon fiber lip kit before he got any clear coating on it. You can see the pieces come glossy.

i understand but for the wait times i expect to see and the cost, that i anticipate to be around 3000 shipped it needs to be gloss. Why pay a premium and then have to clear coat it.
Old 01-04-16, 09:51 AM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

i understand but for the wait times i expect to see and the cost, that i anticipate to be around 3000 shipped it needs to be gloss. Why pay a premium and then have to clear coat it.

Happy New Year!!!~

I totally agree. I think they should just clear coat all of their carbon before shipping out, however, there are many factors as to why they don't clear coat parts beforehand.

Many of us in the US and around the world tend to forget this sometimes; however, most of these aftermarket parts are "intended" for racing purposes. In the U.S. we've made it popular to use these parts for street and show purposes so we care about how the clear coat looks.

When racing, most race teams don't care how the finish or clear coat looks on these parts. They just want to make sure the part functions well.

That's why a lot of the carbon pieces coming out of Japan are not clear coated often. It's not intended to be used as a show item, but most of us here will use it in that fashion.

Some vendors will add an additional option for custom clear coating which increases the cost of the part. Clear coating.... good clear coating, isn't an easy job. It takes time and a good eye to make sure it's done properly.

There are some vendors around the world that will attempt to do a sloppy clear coating job on their carbon parts to save money and just so they can say that their parts come "clear coated", but in reality this is almost worse than having no clear coat at all. You can quickly search online the many times clear coat has gone wrong. That's not to say it can't turn out nice once and a while, however, I'd still want a proper clear coat done.

I will say though that Varis carbon is some of the best in the world. Even with the glossy resin coat that they come with, the pieces look amazing. It almost looks like clear coat which is why many of our clients run without any clear. We don't recommend this, however, you could and it would still look quite nice.
Old 01-04-16, 11:06 AM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

So the Varis rear wing is not clear coated and you recommend a local guy clear coating it?
Old 01-04-16, 04:57 PM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CYKBC
So the Varis rear wing is not clear coated and you recommend a local guy clear coating it?
Correct. All carbon fiber that comes from Japan does not have clear coat unless otherwise stated. Most likely if clear coat is an option, it will be stated on your invoice as it's usually an additional cost. Although the finishing resin on the parts almost make it look like it's clear coated. In reality that is just a glossy gel resin that they apply. It helps protect the carbon for the short term but I suggest getting it clear coated within a month or two after receiving the part.

Personally if it were my car I would. Eventually what ends up happening is that the resin will start fading. It can either become milky in appearance or it will discolor. Sometimes resin turns yellow if it sits in the sun too long. The main thing is the UV from the sun.

If you want that glossy mirror like shine, clear coat is highly recommended. It'll help keep the carbon protected too.

It's just better for you in the long run so I recommend getting it clear coated by a local shop.

Some guys also use UV protected clear wraps or clear bra's on their carbon. Depending on where you go, it might end up cheaper for you doing a clear wrap. Just make sure it has a level of UV protection which some do. I personally like the look of traditional spray on clear coat but both look good and do the job .

I hope that helps.

Last edited by BPauto; 01-04-16 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-05-16, 11:56 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

im just complaining lol i am excited to see more pics. I would probably paint some of the hood white match my body any ways. Let us know when you get pics!!!
Old 01-05-16, 04:11 PM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

im just complaining lol i am excited to see more pics. I would probably paint some of the hood white match my body any ways. Let us know when you get pics!!!
LOL no worries. I totally get it. Definitely will let you know how it looks and we'll take a lot of photos for you guys.
Old 01-14-16, 02:00 PM
panita2010
Pit Crew

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Correct. All carbon fiber that comes from Japan does not have clear coat unless otherwise stated. Most likely if clear coat is an option, it will be stated on your invoice as it's usually an additional cost. Although the finishing resin on the parts almost make it look like it's clear coated. In reality that is just a glossy gel resin that they apply. It helps protect the carbon for the short term but I suggest getting it clear coated within a month or two after receiving the part.

Personally if it were my car I would. Eventually what ends up happening is that the resin will start fading. It can either become milky in appearance or it will discolor. Sometimes resin turns yellow if it sits in the sun too long. The main thing is the UV from the sun.

If you want that glossy mirror like shine, clear coat is highly recommended. It'll help keep the carbon protected too.

It's just better for you in the long run so I recommend getting it clear coated by a local shop.

Some guys also use UV protected clear wraps or clear bra's on their carbon. Depending on where you go, it might end up cheaper for you doing a clear wrap. Just make sure it has a level of UV protection which some do. I personally like the look of traditional spray on clear coat but both look good and do the job .

I hope that helps.

can you pm price on front lip spoiler and side skirt... thanks
Old 01-14-16, 04:43 PM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by panita2010
can you pm price on front lip spoiler and side skirt... thanks
PM Sent!! Thanks!

Quick Reply: New Product **Varis Lightweight Carbon Fiber Hood for RCF!!**