CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

New Product Speed Freaks USA: Project Mu HC+800 Introductory Special

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-17, 12:10 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Looks like you're due for new boots too. The cracks are pretty obvious on the center piston left side.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-02-17 at 12:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mikersoft (12-04-17)
Old 12-04-17, 05:41 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
With the frequency of track days that you're doing, have you considered switching to the Club Racer compound? When speaking to Matt, he noted that on the track, the Club Racers will last substantially longer compared to the HC+800 (especially if you get your pads very hot).
Yep.. I like the idea of a dual purpose street/track pad, and the HC+800 is pretty damn good for that (aside from the dust). However, I may not have a choice unless I plan to change my track driving habits.

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Woah just seeing this now. It looks like those things got *seriously* hot. Thats the first HC+800 I've ever seen delaminate like that but certainly not the first time I've seen this with other pads. This is rare but it can happen from time to time if you really cook the pads beyond their optimal temp range many times over (very large heat cycles), run them down that thin and is usually exacerbated by lots of ABS intervention if you're over-braking on track quite a bit. Basically, more often than not, many extreme heat cycles make the pad material brittle and the hammering effect of ABS can cause them to break up if circumstances are extreme enough. I really only ever see this happen on very worn pads as well- typically because thats when they have the most heat cycles and theres just physically less pad material to absorb the ABS impacts.

Still would love to get some of these photos into Project Mu to see what their response is. Do you have any other data with these? Are you logging the caliper and/or rotor temps when coming off track? I know everyone wants the convenience of a dual duty pad but if this continues to happen or you find that pad life in general keeps getting worse for you with these or the MX72 then it may be time to make the jump to a full track compound for your events based on what I'm seeing.

-Matt M.
I've intermittently measured rotors temps after sessions, but unfortunately I never logged any of that data... Perhaps the only additional info I could supply would be the number of track days they were used & the approximate length of each session.. As you & redspencer mentioned, I may have to step up to a more track oriented compound if I continue to abuse pads like this.. PM me if you'd like any other info and/or photos. I could even send them in if PMU wanted them for some additional analysis.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Looks like you're due for new boots too. The cracks are pretty obvious on the center piston left side.
Yep, I noticed that as well I will rebuild them in the spring & perhaps get them repainted or powder coated too.

-Mike
Old 02-28-19, 02:07 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

PM'd you Matt about a couple sets of front pads. Thanks!
Old 03-04-19, 04:20 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander311
PM'd you Matt about a couple sets of front pads. Thanks!
Responded!

Just a heads up for everyone else as well we are down to our last few sets of HC+800 and will be unable to order more. If you want them this is the last chance.

-Matt M.
Old 03-06-19, 09:08 AM
Somboa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait wait wait... you can't get the HC+800 pads anymore? Is that because they're back ordered or discontinued?

I have an extra set for my fronts already but my buddy (also owns an ISF) and I love these pads for street and track. Might need to grab more if they're no longer going to be available!
Old 03-18-20, 05:28 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

We were able to clean out all of Project Mu's residual inventory on these last year but are down to our last 5 sets of front and rear. Once these are gone they are truly gone.

We have three additional rear sets that are set aside for the Ferodo DS2500 front / HC+800 rear combo as well but once those are gone that will be it as well for that combo - we won't break up the 5 sets of front and rear pairs unless someone orders fronts only.

-Matt M.