CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

New Product Speed Freaks USA: Project Mu HC+800 Introductory Special

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-16, 10:55 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
Thank you Lou, I guess I will have to continue bedding them in.
mine are doing the same thing, i went for a drive and kinda did it again, it seems better but i don't think is there yet. it is hard to find a place or open roads where you can do enough pulls to bed them.

i will keep you guys update it :thumb:
Old 07-13-16, 11:37 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Sure there is, it's Sunday nights or Friday nights
Old 07-14-16, 12:10 AM
blackisF08
Instructor

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Sure there is, it's Sunday nights or Friday nights
you are very right bro lol
Old 07-14-16, 01:56 AM
Piciu
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I had them installed with new OEM discs in the front.
What I noticed:
- much better initial bite then OEM
- a bit less dust
- drove about 1200km with them and getting some bass / grinding sound when braking from high speed for longer period of time - but I didn't do proper bed-in yet.

Did you guys use brake shims which go with OEM pads? I'm getting some metallic noise when hitting bumps and sound disappears when I depress slightly brake pedal - could it be shims?

Last edited by Piciu; 07-14-16 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-14-16, 09:04 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by Piciu
Did you guys use brake shims which go with OEM pads?
I cleaned and reused my shims.

Lou
Old 07-14-16, 10:52 AM
blackisF08
Instructor

Originally Posted by flowrider
I cleaned and reused my shims.

Lou
any specific procedure to clean them? thanks for all your help Lou
Old 07-14-16, 11:40 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^I used a product called Brākleen. I also lubed them. There has been much discussion on whether to lube on one side, the other side or both sides of the shim:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ke-rotors.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...se-at-18k.html

Lou
Old 07-14-16, 11:45 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^I used a product called Brākleen. I also lubed them. There has been much discussion on whether to lube on one side, the other side or both sides of the shim:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ke-rotors.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...se-at-18k.html

Lou
thanks for the links :thumb:

i will give you guys an update soon
Old 07-16-16, 02:14 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Did anyone successfully got rid of the grinding sound from braking from the high speeds?
I keep getting that from the front pads.
Old 07-22-16, 12:42 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

i have tried to bed in the brakes at least 4 times with same results, breaking noise and squeaking is unbearable that i have to keep my windows up, i tried everything from covering brake intake in front of the car, to ride on the brakes to heat them up, as well as doing multiple pulls 60 to 10, 120 to 40 all of them with the same results. next thing i am gonna try is new brake rotors and shims, i will be cleaning all brake parts and lube the shims this tuesday if that doesn't help i will go back to stock pads
Old 07-22-16, 03:19 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
Did anyone successfully got rid of the grinding sound from braking from the high speeds?
I keep getting that from the front pads.
I occasionally get that, but it usually doesn't last long. For me, it seems to occur when the brake are really dirty, or after a track day when all the holes are plugged up with brake dust. It's never really bad enough to bother me.

Originally Posted by blackisF08
i have tried to bed in the brakes at least 4 times with same results, breaking noise and squeaking is unbearable that i have to keep my windows up, i tried everything from covering brake intake in front of the car, to ride on the brakes to heat them up, as well as doing multiple pulls 60 to 10, 120 to 40 all of them with the same results. next thing i am gonna try is new brake rotors and shims, i will be cleaning all brake parts and lube the shims this tuesday if that doesn't help i will go back to stock pads
I went through the same thing when I first installed these pads.. It wasn't till after the third try that I finally got the squealing to go away for good.. These pads seem to be really finicky when it comes to getting them properly bedded..

-Mike
Old 07-25-16, 10:25 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by blackisF08
I'm sorry to hear you are having so much trouble getting the pads fully bedded in. These pads do many things well and definitely punch above their weight but unfortunately they are very sensitive to bedding and require *a lot* of heat.

Bedding pads on old rotors with an existing transfer layer can definitely complicate things as well. If you are using HC+800 on old rotors then my recommendation is to casually street drive the pads for a few days and do some cold brake pulls. The goal here is to not build excessive heat in the pads- the colder they are, the more abrasive they are and we can use this friction mechanism in an attempt to scrape away the old transfer layer as much as possible before you bed in the new pads. If you bedded in the HC+800 immediately then its possible you have a mixed transfer layer that is causing the unwanted behavior. Again, if you can put up with the noise for a little then drive the car normally for a few days or until the bulk of the transfer layer has been scraped away then re-bed and be aggressive if you can. Hopefully that helps.

-Matt M.
Old 08-11-16, 05:08 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

I recently replaced my worn/cracked OEM rotors with RR Racing 2-piece slotted, and I love the combo with the HC+800 pads

I just ordered my second set, as the current set has 5 track days & 5 months of daily driving them. It looks like they've got at least one more track day in them before they're done (maybe two depending on the circuit).

-Mike
Old 08-12-16, 04:46 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
I recently replaced my worn/cracked OEM rotors with RR Racing 2-piece slotted, and I love the combo with the HC+800 pads

I just ordered my second set, as the current set has 5 track days & 5 months of daily driving them. It looks like they've got at least one more track day in them before they're done (maybe two depending on the circuit).

-Mike
Sounds like a great combination for aggressive use! Roughly how many mm of friction material is left? That is pretty good wear considering how much track use they are seeing! Not too shabby for a street pad

-Matt M.
Old 08-15-16, 04:57 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Sounds like a great combination for aggressive use! Roughly how many mm of friction material is left? That is pretty good wear considering how much track use they are seeing! Not too shabby for a street pad

-Matt M.
I've not taken them out to measure yet.. The new rotor hats make it more difficult to visually inspect, but I stuck my phone in there & snapped this pic over the weekend. Pad material appears to be about the same thickness as the backing plate (perhaps ~5mm?)

-Mike

Quick Reply: New Product Speed Freaks USA: Project Mu HC+800 Introductory Special