Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS F (2008-2014) > CL Vendor Products for IS-F
Speed Freaks USA: Project Mu HC+800 Introductory Special >

New Product Speed Freaks USA: Project Mu HC+800 Introductory Special

Notices
CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

New Product Speed Freaks USA: Project Mu HC+800 Introductory Special

Old 01-26-16, 02:13 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Sponsor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider View Post
Installed the HC+800 today and bled the system. Replaced the fluid with Project Mu G-FOUR 335 Hi-Po fluid. I cleaned and reused the old shims and lubed them with Permatex Brake lube. As I indicated above I used Earl's Solo Bleeders and they worked well. Thanks for the idea Lance. I used a bit over 500ml of fluid.

I bedded in the rears, and on way home (from my bedding shenanigans on the freeway) the brakes worked great. No noise and from what I can see less dust than OEM. The HC+800 mated well with my Ferodo DS2500s up front. My rear rotors measured a bit over 27mm so I did not replace them.

I'l know more with more use. But so far, a BIG

Lou
Thank you for the feedback! I am glad to hear you are liking them so far, Lou

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER View Post
Is it safe to use that brake fluid on the F? im buying the ns400 form speedfreaks, wonder should i try out some new fluid.
Absolutely it is more than safe to use that brake fluid in the F! If anything it's overkill for most people's use but I would personally rather have a better brake fluid than I need and not have to ever worry about the pedal going to the floor when I'm coming into a corner at speed.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer View Post
I have found these pads are a bit more challenging to bed than average. They need a lot of heat to put on a good even transfer layer. I ended up mashing the gas and left foot braking for short intervals on the freeway to get a good bed completed. Before bedding they squeal just like full race pads. I also started with new rotors which is never ideal, and I am not entirely convinced the Raybestos rotors are as well made as the OEM rotors - the surface finish on them is definitely not what I got from Lexus.

But, they are working well now, and the one thing I can say with certainty is the ABS is not calibrated for pads with this much friction. It is easy to overwhelm the ABS in cold weather on summer tires. I imagine once the roads warm up it won't be a problem, but right now it is forcing me to brake as if I have no ABS.

The pedal pressure required for a solid stop with these pads is very small. You will need to recalibrate your foot unless you've been using nothing but race pads.

Also, a small but important note on installation in the front - even with the pistons fully retracted, it was difficult to get the pads in place with the caliper installed. I struggled with it on one side, and I loaded the caliper on the other side before I put it on the rotor to make it much easier. I really doubt there would be enough room to use RRRacing's 32mm thick rotors with these pads when new. I don't believe there is enough room available even with the pistons fully retracted. These pads are very thick when new.
Yes the bedding sensitivity is one of the less attractive qualities about this compound but once you figure it out it's not too bad. The proper bedding procedure for these is similar to a lot of race pads, if you bed them on the street it is best to find a deserted road or to do it on an empty freeway late at night/very early morning because you will need to do many back to back slows from speed to really get enough heat into them. Obviously it would be ideal to bed them on a track but that's not always an option for many people. They can make noise if they aren't bedded properly or at all but should have quieted down after bedding, right? The up-side of this is that once they are bedded they can handle pretty much anything you can throw at them. I'm really looking forward to hearing your track impressions coming up here.

Also as you mention they produce essentially race pad friction levels which means pedal pressures needed to reach the limit tires limit of friction is reduced. This is a big benefit when there is grip available but when it's very cold and the tires have little grip, the pads can more easily overwhelm them and engage ABS if you aren't used to that characteristic in a street pad. I personally prefer this behavior to pads with very little initial bite and midrange torque where I feel like I'm going to snap the brake pedal or burst a brake line trying to get the car slowed down from speed when there is grip available It can take some getting used to at first but I found it hard to go back once I calibrated my feet for it. Al benefit of this to me is that it makes the weight of the throttle and brake pedal more closely matched and I believe that helps people become smoother drivers once they get used to it.

As far as the thickness goes I'm a little surprised to hear they were difficult to get in for you. These should be using the same mould as the NS400 we sell and there haven't been any complaints about fitment issues with those At least you know you got every last .1 mm of friction material you paid for, right?

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 03-31-16 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-06-16, 11:44 AM
clarionguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I correct to assume that once these are bedded in correctly they will not squeal in low speed street driving?
Old 02-06-16, 11:49 AM
flowrider
Lexus Fanatic

Received 445 Likes on 358 Posts

^^^^I have them on my rears, they have been bedded in. They do not squeal or make any noise.

Lou
Old 02-08-16, 12:52 PM
Piciu
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I used them on my previous E90 330i in the back - I confirm no squeal and less dust then IS-F OEMs.

I've got already new set of HC+ waiting to be installed on my F
Old 02-08-16, 01:24 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Sponsor

Originally Posted by clarionguy View Post
Am I correct to assume that once these are bedded in correctly they will not squeal in low speed street driving?
Originally Posted by flowrider View Post
^^^^I have them on my rears, they have been bedded in. They do not squeal or make any noise.

Lou
Originally Posted by Piciu View Post
I used them on my previous E90 330i in the back - I confirm no squeal and less dust then IS-F OEMs.

I've got already new set of HC+ waiting to be installed on my F
Our results with these pads have been similar- they can be a pain to properly bed but once they are, they should be quiet

-Matt M.
Old 04-11-16, 04:52 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

I put these on the car Friday, bedded them, then took a short drive around town..They felt pretty good right off the bat & didn't make any noise, which is my biggest concern. I went out again both Saturday & Sunday, and still very little noise. If this keeps up, I'll be a happy camper
Perhaps the NS400s I'd been using have helped the bedding process.. Matt, I recall you mentioning that before.

Performance-wise, it's nice to have back some of that initial bite that was lacking in the NS400. I'm looking forward to trying them out at the Summit Point main circuit on 4/22.

Of course, there's some dust (expected), but I can deal with that, especially when the weather is more conducive to car washing.. If they continue to stay quiet, I'll probably keep them as my full time spring/summer/fall pads so I don't have to worry about swapping specifically for track days. I can use the NS400s over the winter to save some life on HC+800s, plus keep my wheels clean when it's too cold to be outside washing. Win-win!

-Mike
Old 04-15-16, 11:23 PM
blackisF08
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

i am 100% sure this are the pads i will be running on my F as soon as i need replacements
Old 04-16-16, 05:03 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer View Post
I have found these pads are a bit more challenging to bed than average. They need a lot of heat to put on a good even transfer layer. I ended up mashing the gas and left foot braking for short intervals on the freeway to get a good bed completed. Before bedding they squeal just like full race pads. I also started with new rotors which is never ideal, and I am not entirely convinced the Raybestos rotors are as well made as the OEM rotors - the surface finish on them is definitely not what I got from Lexus.
Damn, you weren't kidding about these pads needing a lot of heat to get a good transfer layer. I was apparently fooled by some "pseudo-bedding" last weekend, as they've slowly gotten noisy again over the week.. I tried to bed them twice yesterday, but apparently I'm still not generating enough heat because every time they cool down for a bit, the squealing returns. Check out the pic.

I may try the brake/gas thing, or maybe tape off the front cooling ducts like that video Matt posted in the other thread mentioned.

-Mike

Old 04-21-16, 09:46 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

I'm happy to report that my re-bedding attempt last weekend seems to be a success. I covered front bumper cooling ducts and was able to get the pads nice & hot with 8-10 successive near stops from 60-70+ mph (I was able to smell them this time). Plus, my route allowed plenty of brake free driving for 10-15 min afterwards.

Later that same day, the noise did start up again, so I was thinking "WTF do I have to do to get rid of this noise?!?!" Anyway, after a thorough washing of the wheels on Sunday, the noise went away.. I've driven the car to/from work every day this week and the brake are still mostly quiet (with the occasional low speed squeak, but nothing major). Success!

Apparently, the excessive dust that built up over the week began to become an issue, even though I'd finally achieved a decent transfer layer.

-Mike
Old 04-22-16, 07:57 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that these would be less brake dust than OEM (from other members I've met in person)

But that pic doesn't look like that's the case, can anyone chime in? I *think* I have the EBC yellows the previous owner ran and the dust level is insane, along with the squealing every friggin time I stop.
Old 04-22-16, 09:59 AM
flowrider
Lexus Fanatic

Received 445 Likes on 358 Posts

^^^^I have them on the back, and it does appear that they dust a bit less then the OEM pads they replaced. They are not dustless however.

Lou
Old 04-22-16, 10:56 AM
idoke1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lolfunxion View Post
I was under the impression that these would be less brake dust than OEM (from other members I've met in person)

But that pic doesn't look like that's the case, can anyone chime in? I *think* I have the EBC yellows the previous owner ran and the dust level is insane, along with the squealing every friggin time I stop.
I have them both in the front and rear.....they DUST alright. After 2 days of daily driving, the front wheels will look like it's plastic dip.

On a side note: i want to thank Matt for helping me finalize my decision! Awesome sales rep! If you guys do get them, get the endless brake fluid as well. It makes a HUGE difference in brake pedal feel!
Old 04-22-16, 11:03 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Sponsor

Originally Posted by lolfunxion View Post

You may be confusing these for the Project Mu NS400 which are an ultra low dust street only pad. The HC+800 are a much more aggressive street pad that can be used on a track- they will dust about as much as the OEM pads but for that you get performance levels beyond pretty much anything short of a full blown track pad.

Originally Posted by idoke1 View Post
I have them both in the front and rear.....they DUST alright. After 2 days of daily driving, the front wheels will look like it's plastic dip.

On a side note: i want to thank Matt for helping me finalize my decision! Awesome sales rep! If you guys do get them, get the endless brake fluid as well. It makes a HUGE difference in brake pedal feel!
Thank you so much of the kind words I second the recommendation for the endless fluid as well, that stuff is liquid gold

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 04-22-16 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-22-16, 11:55 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, shot you a PM
Old 04-23-16, 08:23 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Yesterday was my track day at Summit Point, WV (main circuit). I like these pads!

Interesting color on the edges of my front rotors at the end of the day..

-Mike
Attached Thumbnails Speed Freaks USA: Project Mu HC+800 Introductory Special-img_3436.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Product Speed Freaks USA: Project Mu HC+800 Introductory Special

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.