Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS F (2008-2014) > CL Vendor Products for IS-F
Speed Freaks USA: aFe Intake feeler thread >

Gathering Interest Speed Freaks USA: aFe Intake feeler thread

Notices
CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

Gathering Interest Speed Freaks USA: aFe Intake feeler thread

Old 08-08-15, 09:58 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone with the Takeda mod the opening thats left on the side?
Old 08-08-15, 10:11 AM
MileHIFcar
Lexus Champion

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Helo58 View Post
Well, I have read everything on the topic (on this forum) and I still don't have a warm fuzzy that the matter is settled. I even went so far as to locate and buy a stock airbox with a drop-in to go back to stock. I saw the MotoIQ article where they said the K&N made additional horsepower but then the forum members said that the dyno was done in 3rd gear and not 6th and that the ECU eventually normalizes after time to get rid of those gains. Naturally, I wanted to get rid of my K&N so that I could maximize the hp and consistency of the IS F.

Well, two days ago, I read another MotoIQ article regarding the JoeZ-PTS exhaust. In the article, they mention the initial skepticism about the K&N and retested in 6th gear after having the intake on for 500+ miles and they repeated the same gain of 20+ hp. They explained the methodology they used to stabilize the cars temps which made sense to me knowing that the IS F will put timing in a heartbeat for any excessive intake or system temp. I have no reason to doubt their results. (http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...s-Exhaust.aspx )

I now feel like I wasted some loot on the stock airbox because there is no solution that pulls outside air into the intake. The cone filters are pulling the same under hood air at WOT as the stock intake with the secondary open. Every intake I have seen has a radiant barrier to minimize engine, exhaust, and radiator radiant energy but ALL intakes pull air from under the hood unless you took a headlight out or fabbed a snorkel to the wheel well.

As I stated before, given the variability in what has been measured and how it has been measured this proposed solution is no worse or better than anything else already out (or stock for that matter). Given that heat transfer occurs only in three ways (convective, conductive, and radiant), I can't see a huge difference in the stock or aftermarket solutions. There is little if any conductive transfer, they all have a radiant shield, and the rest is convective heat transfer.

The only REAL difference I can see as of now is that the two stage stock intake system will offer more torque and aftermarket cone filters will flow higher volumes of air with less resistance at high rpm for more hp. This is no different than just about every other NA car out there. Low rpm torque or top end rush (hp).

As of now I will keep reading and thinking as to the best course forward, but based on what I have seen so far, there may be a stock airbox for sale in the near future. I want to flow more air and I can't see how the stock box will flow more than a cone filter.
Interesting read I was curious as to if the K&N results were just a short term gain and eventually lost, but now that they retested in 6th gear maybe they are for real?
Old 08-08-15, 11:59 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar View Post
Interesting read I was curious as to if the K&N results were just a short term gain and eventually lost, but now that they retested in 6th gear maybe they are for real?
Well, keep in mind that the MotoIQ article is from 2011, so it not new news to anyone who has seen it since then. I just came across it two days ago and didn't remember seeing in anything else I read, so it was new to me. I found it valuable because of the 6th gear re-test and the fact that it was done after 500 miles (plenty of time for ECU fuel/air cycles) with the same gains as the first test.

At this point, I am really considering sealing off the intake area around the K&N divider (even between the hood and top side), so that the only air comes in up through the stock louvers in the right front fender well and through the stock snorkel that feeds through the leading edge of the hood and calling it a day. I, like many others, just love that intake sound at high rpms.

I may just mess around and try the stock box for information purposes, but will probably sell it with the drop in.
Old 08-08-15, 02:43 PM
MileHIFcar
Lexus Champion

Are you going to do a baseline dyno with the K&N as a reference point to see if yours dynos any higher than some guys that have done baselines on stock ISF's with the stock air box?? That would be helpful to the forum members if you decide to do that.
Old 08-08-15, 07:11 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar View Post
Are you going to do a baseline dyno with the K&N as a reference point to see if yours dynos any higher than some guys that have done baselines on stock ISF's with the stock air box?? That would be helpful to the forum members if you decide to do that.
In a perfect world, I would like to dyno now with the K&N and Borla cat-back as a baseline. I then will do another dyno run after installing the PPE headers (after 500 miles), and then a final dyno (after 500 miles) with the stock intake, PPE headers, and Borla catback.

With this car, I really feel like comparisons with other members rides can be taken generally but not specifically. My main goal with my modifications is to minimize variables (temp and humidty, operating temps, time between runs, intake temps, etc.) between dyno runs and compare the results of my car with the previous results of my car. I will be happy to share the data, but I think it should be taken with a grain of salt. I would like to see how it compares to others, but I am not sure I can take anything away from it one way or the other.
Old 08-08-15, 07:50 PM
MileHIFcar
Lexus Champion

That's true, but nonetheless it will still be helpful for others if you do, and something else to chew on for forum members here to compare when/if they do some of the mods you have.

Thx
Old 08-10-15, 01:24 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Sponsor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Some really interesting discussion going on here that gives us some things to focus on during our testing with this unit.

-Matt M.
Old 08-10-15, 02:42 PM
ihadboost
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Lou on this one. I also have pretty much his exact same setup (PPE Headers, JoeZ exhaust and the Takeda Intake). I have been very happy with it. I really like the fact that it looks almost 100% stock.

I also dynoed on UMS's dynapack at 419.9 WHP and 396 WTQ.
Old 08-10-15, 02:47 PM
2URGSE
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I like the aFe drop in air filter, otherwise happy with my HPS piece and the stock airbox.

If it was a turbo car that can be TUNED on the dyno, it would have been a different story.

My .002 cents.
Old 08-10-15, 03:20 PM
JDMV8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

The limiting factor with the intake system, in my opinion, is the throttle body. Feeding more air into the intake does not net in any power gains (it results in power loss but that's in an extended period of time).
Old 08-28-15, 03:25 PM
kukimonsta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any progress?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gathering Interest Speed Freaks USA: aFe Intake feeler thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.