CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Dealer forged my signature and created different contract

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-18, 01:22 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 880 Likes on 663 Posts

www.dealerrater.com
Old 09-08-18, 03:13 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Just curious, how would that have helped him in this situation? He knew what he signed and knew enough to challenge it once received after it was switched with falsified paperwork. I'd say he pretty much already meets this criteria. Super shady.

OP I agree with getting made whole with reasonable accommodation for the inconvenience. However, I'd still report to Lexus Corp and the BBB - this is unacceptable business behavior.
I should clarify that I wasn't referring back to when the OP first signed the purchase agreement @ Jim Falk/Lexus of Beverly Hills. I wrote it with the intention of safeguarding against any type of written agreement/contract in the future. Given what happened to the OP, it'd be possible for the dealership to want the OP to sign a blanket waiver to absolve the dealership of any further liability while potentially waiving OP's right to seek legal action afterwards (should he choose so). If given that scenario, that advice would serve some usefulness.

I guess the tl;dr version is that line in my previous post should have been more chronological-/scenario-specific.
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (09-08-18)
Old 09-08-18, 10:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

jim falk is a very shady dealership. i made it a point a decade ago that i would never ever deal with them and i made sure lexus corp was aware of that

i think undoing the whole deal is the best thing to do, but i would be very careful about your trade-in vehicle and that all payments are up to date and that loan doesn't have any problem. i would also make sure not to sign any paperwork that you will not mention the story or bring it up to anyone, etc... you have every right to blast them
Old 09-09-18, 09:53 AM
hyunwoo198
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
jim falk is a very shady dealership. i made it a point a decade ago that i would never ever deal with them and i made sure lexus corp was aware of that

i think undoing the whole deal is the best thing to do, but i would be very careful about your trade-in vehicle and that all payments are up to date and that loan doesn't have any problem. i would also make sure not to sign any paperwork that you will not mention the story or bring it up to anyone, etc... you have every right to blast them
I wish I new about that before..
Because I dont trust them, I request them to just give the net trade in value back.
That way I keep the transaction quick and clean as possible.
After all the things clear up, I will be back in market for new car again..
I will update you all on Monday after returning car.
Old 09-09-18, 05:55 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by hyunwoo198

So I talked to GM, and decided to return the car.
I just did not want to waste more time with them.
I will report this issue to all possible agencies. DMV, lexus corp, BBB, consumer affair, and tell me more.
I just never thought that this could happen in authorized dealer.
the reality is that it happens a lot. Google it, dealers typically do this to save inconveniencing the customer and having them come back as long as the end result of the contract is the same, while illegal and a very sketchy business practice, sadly it isn’t uncommon. It becomes a serious issue when the dealer makes a change that favors them over the customer and like with you, they get caught red handed.

Last edited by mjeds; 09-10-18 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-10-18, 08:51 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Isn't this a form of identity theft? Forging someone's signature in order to notarize a legal document sounds pretty serious to me (and sounds like a misdemeanor at least).
Old 09-10-18, 09:18 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Dear all.

I recently purchased a Lexus from local Lexus dealer.
The car was advertised as used, but the condition of the car was just new.
(older year, 2017)
I signed the contract and drove out with the vehicle.
About 3 weeks later I received the statement from bank for payment.
The loan amount on the statement was different than what my signed contract stated, so I contacted the bank and obtained the copy of contract which bank received from the dealer. The contract was not what I signed, and had forged signatures. Also, it states the vehicle is NEW. My copy of signed contract states the vehicle as USED.
What should I do in this situation? Clearly dealer committed a crime of forgery.
I contacted the GM of sales, and he told me he didnt know about it and he can cancel all the paper work, including my trade-in vehicle.
I am very upset with the fact that a authorized dealer will forge the signature, and looking to work with lawyer.
Anyone with similar case or suggestions please?
Thank you.
Contract is a legal binding paper. Either party is obliged to do their part according to the paper signed. If not it is a crime. Dealer has to make it right and/or purchaser can sue the dealer for you name the what. Consult your lawyer as well as Lexus head office. I could never imagine legit dealer would do something like this. OP, sounds like you are Korean? Don't be intimidated or shy about your right. Used car is once registered or demo vehicle which rolled up some mileage. New car means neither. I'd call local TV station or News media to tell the story.(let the public know about this place). Sounds like they do this sort of thing repeatedly to different customers. How about reporting it to State consumer affairs. Better put a stop to this kind of behaviors. 한국분이시면 "Let them learn the lesson, "Don't mess with a Korean" 한인 신문에도 기사를 내어 다른 동포들이 이 dealer와 상종 말라고 말예요. Boycott 히라고요.

Last edited by Htony; 09-10-18 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-10-18, 09:35 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

people here seem to miss the part about the dealer committing financial fraud. Marking a used car as new to receive a financial incentive is a positive gain for the dealership. and the only reason they offer to undo your contract is because they got caught. this is not elementary school where someone says sorry and everything is whole. they have committed 2 criminal acts that i can see. you have all the proof, but if you're satisfied with their "sorry" then so be it.
Old 09-10-18, 02:01 PM
JH48
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

It was the dealer in Beverly Hills.
Some lawyers are skeptical since damage is minimal, and cost of lawsuit could be high, but the return is not guaranteed.
I believe dealer forged the contract so that they can get the $1,500 new car incentive.
Should I call the dealer and tell them to re-do the contract with $1,500 extra discount?
I had issue with them before. When i got my 2016 RX, few days later they call me to take the car back. when they arrived my house they were like no they want to take the IS200t back because one of my family member got the car from them and the bank rejected. they also show me the person name and the address. Those people were using my house address and last name to purchase the car. and the end they said it was mistake.

There are lawyer dont need you to pay up front they just want to review your case if they think they could fight it then you dont need to worry about the money out of your pocket. but it is up to you if you want to drop it or go for it.
Old 09-11-18, 09:34 PM
hyunwoo198
Rookie

Dear all

thanks for your interest and replies.
I have returned the car to the dealer and got all the things back. Just waiting for the loan to be canceled.
(Dealer did flat cancel on Monday and sent out the check to the bank.)
Hopefully everything clears by this week.
The bank had sent me a copy of forged contract via mail. Once I get the copy, I will report to all the agencies I can.
( the copy which Bank faxed to me is hard to read)
The following 3 users liked this post by hyunwoo198:
ba2sy (09-12-18), mjeds (09-12-18), rominl (09-12-18)
Old 09-12-18, 04:12 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry for your inconvenience. What Jim Falk Lexus Dealership did was super shady. Anyways, how about try around October/November with better deals. What car did you get by the way?
Old 09-12-18, 10:49 AM
hyunwoo198
Rookie

Originally Posted by ba2sy
Sorry for your inconvenience. What Jim Falk Lexus Dealership did was super shady. Anyways, how about try around October/November with better deals. What car did you get by the way?
Yeah the dealer is shady...
Currently there are no good deals on the cars... Maybe I should wait until October/November for 2018 model clearance.
Old 09-12-18, 11:28 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Yeah the dealer is shady...
Currently there are no good deals on the cars... Maybe I should wait until October/November for 2018 model clearance.
FWIW I had an excellent sales experience @ Santa Monica Lexus with Sales Rep Kelly Gugerty, far as I know she still works there.
The following users liked this post:
hyunwoo198 (09-12-18)
Old 09-16-18, 04:18 PM
hyunwoo198
Rookie

Just an update...
I still see the loan I got for RX350 on my bank account.
(I told dealer to do flat cancel on 9/10, and they told me the did)
Going to check back with GM on Monday to see when they requested and sent out the check to the bank.
And they are selling the returned vehicle with higher price than what I paid.
I paid 43.5k, but they are selling it for 46k.
I just wish there is a way to tell innocent people about this....
Can they sell the vehicle with outstanding loan on it?

Last edited by hyunwoo198; 09-16-18 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-16-18, 04:29 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Just an update...
I still see the loan I got for RX350 on my bank account.
(I told dealer to do flat cancel on 9/10, and they told me the did)
Going to check back with GM on Monday to see when they requested and sent out the check to the bank.
And they are selling the returned vehicle with higher price than what I paid.
I paid 43.5k, but they are selling it for 46k.
I just wish there is a way to tell innocent people about this....
Can they sell the vehicle with outstanding loan on it?
Tell your bank what happened and let them get rid of that loan account.
Call one of your local TV station consumer affair reporter, or newpaper.
Give the dealer one star feedback because there no minus one star.

Quick Reply: Dealer forged my signature and created different contract