CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-16, 08:17 AM
ddalvarez
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Replacement

Can anyone recommend a shop that replaces engines? I have a 2007 GS350.
I live in North Orange County.
Old 04-02-16, 10:53 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Might makes some calls to the shops in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...county-ca.html

Curious, what happened that the original engine that you'll have it changed?
Old 04-02-16, 10:17 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by ddalvarez
Can anyone recommend a shop that replaces engines? I have a 2007 GS350.
I live in North Orange County.
How many miles are on that engine?
Old 04-03-16, 08:25 AM
ddalvarez
10th Gear

It has 121k.
It is using 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles. I am pretty sure it needs rings. Engine is making excess aluminum and Iron according to a recent oil sample. Car looks and runs runs great. I am going to drive it until it won't pass smog than get another motor.
Old 04-03-16, 10:51 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 226 Posts

Check with your LEXUS dealer and see if there is a service bulletin. On our 08' Camry,
Toyota extended the warranty to 10years 150k because that 4cylinder engine has oil consumption problems. We actually need to take it back in next week to have them measure if it burned enough oil to claim warranty replacement of the rings and some other parts. They were very thourogh with the wording so it's not labeled a recall.
Old 04-03-16, 12:56 PM
ddalvarez
10th Gear

It is a known issue with the Motor. I am the third owner, and it has not been into the dealer for service since the 75 K service. The dealer service records look complete before that. I brought it in to get some recall notices at 114K,
IT was using oil before that time but it is worse now.

I will probably take it to the dealer for the 120K service and let them start the oil consumption test. Based on other post on this site about the best I can hope for is Lexus corporate might agree to pay half the cost of the repairs. If it is just the rings, dealer cost is around 5K, if the block is sratched it is 10K. So worst case my part will be 5K. If Lexus makes the offer to repair, I will take it.
I also checked and a rebuilt motor is around $3500, about another $1200 to put in. Either way I estimate it will cost 5K. I am looking for someone good to do the motor swap if/when the time comes
Old 04-06-16, 05:16 AM
officerpls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you ever consider swapping it with a JDM motor, basically more worth your 3500~ than just rebuilding the old one
Old 03-23-17, 10:05 PM
ddalvarez
10th Gear

Well, the car has 132,000 miles on it now- I don't drive much. I am getting PO420, P0430 codes now. I guess that's what happens when you burn oil. IT still runs really good. Smog check due in July so I need to make some decisions.
Old 03-23-17, 10:23 PM
ddalvarez
10th Gear

what I don't like about the JDM used motors is I will be getting another motor with the same ring issue. I will ask around and hopefully There are more robust/durable rings available from a remanufactured motor, or If I rebuildend up having mine rebuilt.
Old 03-24-17, 09:19 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Well, the car has 132,000 miles on it now- I don't drive much. I am getting PO420, P0430 codes now. I guess that's what happens when you burn oil. IT still runs really good. Smog check due in July so I need to make some decisions.
Why don't you replace the cats with new ones from the dealer, so you can pass smog? If you plan on keeping the car, then go oem. Aftermarket cats are never as good. If it still runs fine, then just check the oil level once a week and top it off.
Old 03-24-17, 10:48 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I had the same issue. Ditched my GS and got an IS-F. Haven't looked back.

My GS was 2006, so yeah, I had massive oil burning problem with the first-gen DI engine. Non-salvageable situation, it was.

EDIT: Also had the faulty transmission where the torque converter failed on me. Expensive rebuild. Lexus shot me down on sharing the bill, so I was SOL.
Old 03-24-17, 11:15 AM
ddalvarez
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Why don't you replace the cats with new ones from the dealer, so you can pass smog? If you plan on keeping the car, then go oem. Aftermarket cats are never as good. If it still runs fine, then just check the oil level once a week and top it off.
That thought has crossed my mind. I need to find out what it is going to cost for the Cats. I have herd of prices of $2800- 3200 floating around. Given the fact that its burning 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles I am concerned how long the new Cats will last. Either way I need new Cats. Thanks for the suggestion-- I may just do that.

FYI, the muffler shop told me and I am pretty sure he is right that these Cats are a dealer only item. The aftermarket Mfg's won't ship to California.
Old 03-24-17, 03:41 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

That thought has crossed my mind. I need to find out what it is going to cost for the Cats. I have herd of prices of $2800- 3200 floating around. Given the fact that its burning 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles I am concerned how long the new Cats will last. Either way I need new Cats. Thanks for the suggestion-- I may just do that.

FYI, the muffler shop told me and I am pretty sure he is right that these Cats are a dealer only item. The aftermarket Mfg's won't ship to California.
That's believable. Finding CA legal catalytic converters is hard. Yeah, I would guess its around 1k each side for your car in parts + the labor to change it. but that's still better than buying a used engine and not having a guarantee that your problem will be fixed.
Old 03-27-17, 07:59 AM
SinisterGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexology in Redondo Beach, Just had the engine, trans and ecu replaced on my 06 GS300. Reasonable price and they had it back to me 3 days.
Old 03-27-17, 03:55 PM
ddalvarez
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SinisterGS
Lexology in Redondo Beach, Just had the engine, trans and ecu replaced on my 06 GS300. Reasonable price and they had it back to me 3 days.
Did you have them rebuild your motor, swap with a JDM or remanufactured?

Quick Reply: Engine Replacement