CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

THANK YOU PLATINUM VIP - Best shop in Socal, period.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-14, 06:44 PM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I was here with the same good news and response that everyone here has had with Platinum VIP, but sadly this isn't the case with my car.

I purchased a brand new condition 2012 F-Sport bumper painted SGM a couple months ago and it sat in my room while I gathered opinions from all my friends about body shops and where to get it painted. (My car is Starfire Pearl which I hear is one of the harder colors to match). I finally settled on Platinum VIP due to their excellent feedback on Yelp, Club Lexus, and some personal friend's reviews.

7/8/14: I spoke with Kennedy and he gave me one of the best prices I heard when I was shopping around. I dropped off the bumper and I made the decision to leave my car with them so they could get the best color match possible to the fenders and the hood. He explained that because of the difference in paint surfaces (plastic vs metal), the color match might be a shade of two off. He gave me my estimate and told me that I would have the car back in a week so I went ahead and took the week off of work.

7/14/14: Called and spoke with Kennedy. He said that a couple other starfire cars where also in the shop and they had someone from DuPont there to help with the color match. Everything was on schedule and I told him to take his time as a properly color matched bumper was very important to me.

7/16/14: Called again and Kennedy said they were having issues getting a good paint match and that they were still working on it.

7/18/14: Called and Kennedy said that they got the paint match down and the bumper was finally going into the paint booth and it would be ready of pickup by Monday even though Monday was his day off. This was already past the end of the week ( 8 buisiness days since I dropped off both the bumper and the car).

7/21/14: Called Platinum and someone who I had never spoke to answered the phone and told me my bumper wasn't ready yet. I had had enough and got one of my buddies to drive me over to see what progress has been done. When I got there, the painter had just set up my bumper in the paint booth to work on. My car had been parked out in the yard since the day I dropped it off, was covered in a thick layer of dust, and according to my dashcam, hadn't been touched since the day I brought it to Platinum. I was pissed, but I'd like to think that I'm somewhat of a reasonable person and asked the only person working the office to have Ken give me a call as soon as he can so I could get an explanation.

7/22/14: 2 weeks since I dropped the car off on the 8th and the other guy gives me a call around 1pm to come pick up my car and the bumper. I ask if I can pay with a credit card and he says he doesn't know how to work the machine and cash would be best. This went against my better judgement, but I figured that with all the good rep this shop has, it would be somewhat safe. I show up and Ken isn't even there. My car is washed and the bumper is ready to go. I ask again to have Ken call me back as soon as he can, pay and I go home excited to install and see how it looks.

I get home, bolt everything on, and my heart sinks. The paint isn't even matched correctly. I've gotten better paint matches from chinese eBay pre-painted parts. The whole bumper has a shade of yellow compared to the rest of the car. Under bright lights, it looks fine. But once there is any sort of shade on the car, the paint doesn't even compare. I've had the rear bumper re-painted on this car by a different body shop (got rear-ended) and the paint match on that was nearly perfect in every light.

I called again and again in the past week, but the phone doesn't get picked up and it just sends me in a loop on the automated system. I have yet to hear back from Ken or anyone at Platinum regarding the service I received or any answers to the delay in work. I'm an understanding person...If they just went ahead and gave me a call letting me know that the shop was busy and things fell behind, I would have no problems with it. But now I'm stuck with a bumper I'm unhappy with, no response or calls back from Platinum, and no credit card protection against the purchase. I have both a miata and a e92 335i that need full repaints and after this experience, am probably gonna hold off until I can find another shop that can handle the work properly.

P.S. If anyone from Platinum reads this...you know who I am. Please give me a call.

EDIT: not sure if this thead is the right place to put this. If it isn't, mods feel free to split this post off

Another Edit: just got a call from Ken. Talked everything through, he was very apolegetic and jumped at the chance to make it right. I feel a lot better already about this situation already and I hope to be back with some better news.

Last edited by codenko; 08-04-14 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-04-14, 08:29 PM
SoCal_450h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by szrae
I wish I was here with the same good news and response that everyone here has had with Platinum VIP, but sadly this isn't the case with my car.

I purchased a brand new condition 2012 F-Sport bumper painted SGM a couple months ago and it sat in my room while I gathered opinions from all my friends about body shops and where to get it painted. (My car is Starfire Pearl which I hear is one of the harder colors to match). I finally settled on Platinum VIP due to their excellent feedback on Yelp, Club Lexus, and some personal friend's reviews.

7/8/14: I spoke with Kennedy and he gave me one of the best prices I heard when I was shopping around. I dropped off the bumper and I made the decision to leave my car with them so they could get the best color match possible to the fenders and the hood. He explained that because of the difference in paint surfaces (plastic vs metal), the color match might be a shade of two off. He gave me my estimate and told me that I would have the car back in a week so I went ahead and took the week off of work.

7/14/14: Called and spoke with Kennedy. He said that a couple other starfire cars where also in the shop and they had someone from DuPont there to help with the color match. Everything was on schedule and I told him to take his time as a properly color matched bumper was very important to me.

7/16/14: Called again and Kennedy said they were having issues getting a good paint match and that they were still working on it.

7/18/14: Called and Kennedy said that they got the paint match down and the bumper was finally going into the paint booth and it would be ready of pickup by Monday even though Monday was his day off. This was already past the end of the week ( 8 buisiness days since I dropped off both the bumper and the car).

7/21/14: Called Platinum and someone who I had never spoke to answered the phone and told me my bumper wasn't ready yet. I had had enough and got one of my buddies to drive me over to see what progress has been done. When I got there, the painter had just set up my bumper in the paint booth to work on. My car had been parked out in the yard since the day I dropped it off, was covered in a thick layer of dust, and according to my dashcam, hadn't been touched since the day I brought it to Platinum. I was pissed, but I'd like to think that I'm somewhat of a reasonable person and asked the only person working the office to have Ken give me a call as soon as he can so I could get an explanation.

7/22/14: 2 weeks since I dropped the car off on the 8th and the other guy gives me a call around 1pm to come pick up my car and the bumper. I ask if I can pay with a credit card and he says he doesn't know how to work the machine and cash would be best. This went against my better judgement, but I figured that with all the good rep this shop has, it would be somewhat safe. I show up and Ken isn't even there. My car is washed and the bumper is ready to go. I ask again to have Ken call me back as soon as he can, pay and I go home excited to install and see how it looks.

I get home, bolt everything on, and my heart sinks. The paint isn't even matched correctly. I've gotten better paint matches from chinese eBay pre-painted parts. The whole bumper has a shade of yellow compared to the rest of the car. Under bright lights, it looks fine. But once there is any sort of shade on the car, the paint doesn't even compare. I've had the rear bumper re-painted on this car by a different body shop (got rear-ended) and the paint match on that was nearly perfect in every light.

I called again and again in the past week, but the phone doesn't get picked up and it just sends me in a loop on the automated system. I have yet to hear back from Ken or anyone at Platinum regarding the service I received or any answers to the delay in work. I'm an understanding person...If they just went ahead and gave me a call letting me know that the shop was busy and things fell behind, I would have no problems with it. But now I'm stuck with a bumper I'm unhappy with, no response or calls back from Platinum, and no credit card protection against the purchase. I have both a miata and a e92 335i that need full repaints and after this experience, am probably gonna hold off until I can find another shop that can handle the work properly.

P.S. If anyone from Platinum reads this...you know who I am. Please give me a call.

EDIT: not sure if this thead is the right place to put this. If it isn't, mods feel free to split this post off

szrae, Im really sorry to hear this....I believed Kennedy already responded about this matter.