CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

bring your own synthetic oil to dealer for service?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-12, 07:27 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default bring your own synthetic oil to dealer for service?

i took advantage of Lexus Westminster's Summer service promotion with synthetic oil change a few months back, now my car is almost due for another one. question is, if i take my car to any dealer they would just use the conventional oil, and i did some research, people are saying it should be fine going from synthetic to conventional. but, for piece of mind I'd like to keep on using synthetic from now on. i can do the oil change myself but would like to be done in a dealer for service record purpose in case i have to sell my car later. has anyone bring their own synthetic oil to the dealer and ask them for the labor? if so, were you worry about they switch out y our synthetic and put in their conventional instead?
Old 09-30-12, 03:21 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bring my own oil to Longo Lexus. I see you're in San Gabriel so that dealer is close to you as well. I have 0 issues trusting the staff at Longo Lexus. The wall separating the work area from the sitting area is a glass wall, so you can watch them work on your car. I always make sure they are using my own oil thru the glass, and just in case, ask for the empty containers back too. All the work stations are monitored by camera's as well at their dealership so i'm really not worried. I don't think any of their tech's there are willing to lose their job over switching out oil especially when there are so many ways they can get caught.

I buy my own oil from Walmart (they sell Mobil 1 Full Synthetic the cheapest) and then just have the dealer supply filter and labor.
Old 09-30-12, 03:49 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

You can add your own service data to the service history if that's the main reason you are getting the oil changed there. Just go to https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do, and you can add your own services.
Old 09-30-12, 05:41 PM
solo_stage
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bring my own oil to Longo as well. I also don't have a problem trusting that they'll switch out my oil.
Old 09-30-12, 10:14 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I bring my own oil to Longo Lexus. I see you're in San Gabriel so that dealer is close to you as well. I have 0 issues trusting the staff at Longo Lexus. The wall separating the work area from the sitting area is a glass wall, so you can watch them work on your car. I always make sure they are using my own oil thru the glass, and just in case, ask for the empty containers back too. All the work stations are monitored by camera's as well at their dealership so i'm really not worried. I don't think any of their tech's there are willing to lose their job over switching out oil especially when there are so many ways they can get caught.

I buy my own oil from Walmart (they sell Mobil 1 Full Synthetic the cheapest) and then just have the dealer supply filter and labor.
i always go to Longo as well, i think i'm gonna go the same route. thanks. btw, how many quarts do i need for IS350?
Old 10-01-12, 08:43 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i always go to Longo as well, i think i'm gonna go the same route. thanks. btw, how many quarts do i need for IS350?
7. There will be a little left over. I get one 5 quart jug from Walmart ($25) and 2 of the single quarts and i'm good to go
Old 10-01-12, 11:40 AM
solo_stage
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Ditto! 7 quarts.
Old 10-01-12, 04:28 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how much they charge for an ISF?
Old 10-04-12, 08:07 AM
Sp3nc3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bring in my own oil all the time at Lexus of Westminster and havent had one problem! They do carry synthetic oil but they charge extra so its cheaper to bring your own oil.

They charge around $40-$50 for labor which includes the oil filter. (For is-F)

Like KillaIS250 said no worries about them switching out the oil because you can watch the work being done on one of the TV's inside the waiting area.