CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Rims cant stick out of the fenders and too low?? Got pull over by CHP....SMH

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-12, 01:26 AM
mrbananas
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims cant stick out of the fenders and too low?? Got pull over by CHP....SMH

So WTF is always and i mean always is the Asian cops pulling me (a Asian guy) over in regards to modding my car blah blah blah Bull*****.... Anyways I was in Torrance around 190th and Van Ness and I saw a CHP just creeping around me and bang he pull me over..... Sigh... Well he pulled me over for having no front plate which I guess I was asking for it than he when on and said your wheels can't be sticking out and you either have to get the right wheels that fits your car or get a kit that covers it... After he started saying you know you are also lowered than wrote me up.....

My question is when was there a law that state you cant have rims that stick further then your fenders?? After asking a few people I guess there is a actual law like that but I have heard many rumors and need your help on what is fact and fiction... 1) You can have rims that stick further then your fenders but you need mud guards...2) You can stick out no more then 2".... 3) The lowest part of your cars body can't be lower then the bottom of your rim... Can someone PLS tell me the correct facts!! Thanks in advance!!!

BTW my poke is not even that big and I am not that low!!
Old 05-26-12, 01:47 AM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you run wider wheels you will need mud flaps, and your car can't be lower the lowest part of your rims for blowout safety reasons or headlights must be 21-22 inches off the ground. I also get pulled over an ONE asian cop over and over again.
Old 05-26-12, 01:47 AM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is the height law..

California Car height laws:

1. 24008. It is unlawful to operate any passenger vehicle, or commercial vehicle under 6,000 pounds, which has been modified from the original design so that any portion of the vehicle, other than the wheels, has less clearance from the surface of a level roadway than the clearance between the roadway and the lowermost portion of any rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway.

Amended Ch. 462, Stats. 1984. Effective January 1, 1985.

2. Frame and Floor Height

24008.5. (a) No person shall operate any motor vehicle with a frame height or body floor height greater than specified in subdivisions (b) and ©.

(b) The maximum frame height is as follows:
[This table lists the maximum frame height for various types of vehicles.] *
Vehicle Type Frame Height

(1) Passenger vehicles, except housecars 23 inches

(2) All other motor vehicles, including housecars, as follows:
Up to 4,500 pounds GVWR 27 inches
4,501 to 7,500 pounds GVWR 30 inches
7,501 to 10,000 pounds GVWR 31 inches

© The lowest portion of the body floor shall not be more than five inches above the top of the frame.

(d) The following definitions govern the construction of this section:

(1) "Frame" means the main longitudinal structural members of the chassis of the vehicle or, for vehicles with unitized body construction, the lowest main longitudinal structural members of the body of the vehicle.

(2) "Frame height" means the vertical distance between the ground and the lowest point on the frame, measured when the vehicle is unladen on a level surface at the lowest point on the frame midway between the front axle and the second axle on the vehicle.

(3) "GVWR" means the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating, as defined in Section 390, whether or not the vehicle is modified by use of parts not originally installed by the manufacturer.

* The bracketed information has been added editorially to meet accessibility requirements and is not part of statute.

Amended Ch. 718, Stats. 1987. Effective January 1, 1988.
Old 05-26-12, 02:00 AM
mrbananas
Driver

Ok I'm going to measure my height tomorrow but what is the actual law about wide rims??
Old 05-26-12, 02:08 AM
mrbananas
Driver

Nvm ok I misread dome parts!
Old 05-26-12, 12:55 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

What are the CVC sections as listed on the citation?
Old 05-26-12, 02:24 PM
GETAGRIP
Driver School Candidate

Whats funny is that I often see this Asian CHP Officer @ Kings Hawaiian Local Place from time to time... I wonder if he was the same officer who wrote you up? He had come up to me one Saturday morning after I got back from Irvine Cars & Coffee meet, he was checking out my 1969 BMW 2002 Ti whcih is fully restored race ready and he complimented my vintage car! but what i found ironic was he said " very nice unlike them imports " I just laughed got into my ride fired her up drove home.. But that would be a bummer to know that they would single out imports??
Old 05-26-12, 02:35 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Found a pic of your ride:

That is mild. He must have been bored. Speaking of that 190'th and Van Ness, did they have the smog sniffing set-up from this thread?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...eck-point.html
Old 05-26-12, 04:56 PM
GETAGRIP
Driver School Candidate

Yup! That CHP officer was bored! I see nothing wrong with your ride other than no front plate.. Havent seen a roadside emission inspection site, since I first posted it couple weeks back... I drive through Van Ness & 190th every work week...
Old 05-27-12, 12:32 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

for reference the wheel law was originally intro'd to combat lifted trucks & lowriders. (also reason for the low-car laws.)

wait for the cite to come in the mail to see what CVCs he's actually charging you with.