CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

HIDMasters Huntington Beach

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 03:30 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIDMasters Huntington Beach

I've been looking for a reliable HID kit and Installer. Preferences went out to DDM because of the lifetime warranty but also just reading mixed reviews about companies that provide low costs kits and lifetime warranty.

It's an HID kit, so i know the saying goes "you get what you pay for" and "it's a lexus luxry car" so why put in a cheap kit. There's also the sayings that "it's a KIT, it's never going to be as good as an OEM or retrofit without spending big bucks".

So was just researching around and apparently an alternative to DDM was HIDMasters. I saw reviews on yelp, I've googled their name but no reviews have come up. Just wondering if anyone else's seen this or have heard of the shop.

Worse case scenario is I get to the shop, install and then get rid of the bulbs and get better ones later down the road?
Old 03-26-12, 05:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

never heard of them.

fwiw i've had a xenondepot (vendor here) Volt HID kit (6000k) since 2009 and it hasnt skipped a beat. love it.

it's a pretty simple install, though if you werent up to it Tommy @ MusicBox in el monte is an immensely popular choice for locals.
Old 03-26-12, 05:11 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have an IS250 right? (Looking at your profile)

Get 6000k Garax HID bulbs (very reliable and highly recommended in the 2IS section.. i have them myself too) That's if your car already has HIDs. Otherwise, just get a good conversion kit (i..e Volt)

And then get a 6000k Volt kit for the fogs. I went with XenonDepot and have constantly ran into issues with them, so i'll be swapping the kit out for a 6000k Volt kit soon too. Also, it looks like the Volt and Garax 6000k kits are a better mach despite the housing differences.
Old 03-26-12, 06:05 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Go get DDM Tuning, they're very easy to deal with and they're local. Most of the reviews for them was when they were starting out. They have improved a ton since then.
Old 03-26-12, 07:27 PM
SimplySTIG
Rookie

DDM Tuning is the way to go. Never an issue and the quality/output is just as good as OEM. It's been a few years and I've purchased at least 10 kits, not one having an issue.
Old 03-26-12, 09:47 PM
g2bme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
You have an IS250 right? (Looking at your profile)

Get 6000k Garax HID bulbs (very reliable and highly recommended in the 2IS section.. i have them myself too) That's if your car already has HIDs. Otherwise, just get a good conversion kit (i..e Volt)

And then get a 6000k Volt kit for the fogs. I went with XenonDepot and have constantly ran into issues with them, so i'll be swapping the kit out for a 6000k Volt kit soon too. Also, it looks like the Volt and Garax 6000k kits are a better mach despite the housing differences.
no stock HID on mine, so going to go with a kit. I was looking at the Volt kit too but an even amount of mixed reviews. It's basically a hit or miss with all these HID kits. I'm the type of person that if it goes wrong, I can easily just drive to the installer and get it fixed. With DDM, that seemed like a bit of a problem (restocking fees, ordering, etc).

But I might go with what you mentioned. Go with a Volt kit and pickup some Garax 5000K or 6000K. Not really into the "blue tint", I'd want PURE white to light up my road!
Old 03-27-12, 12:03 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SimplySTIG
DDM Tuning is the way to go. Never an issue and the quality/output is just as good as OEM. It's been a few years and I've purchased at least 10 kits, not one having an issue.
many have had otherwise...
Old 03-27-12, 12:50 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not really a human being.... I'm a dinosaur....
Old 03-27-12, 06:29 AM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

I heard good things about HIDmasters on another forum. I was thinking about going there as well since they do the installation and also offer a lifetime warranty.

Let us know what route you decide.
Old 03-27-12, 08:28 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

g2bme: Let me know if you have any questions / concerns regarding the XeonDepot HID Kits.

Steve
Old 03-27-12, 12:54 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by g2bme
no stock HID on mine, so going to go with a kit. I was looking at the Volt kit too but an even amount of mixed reviews. It's basically a hit or miss with all these HID kits. I'm the type of person that if it goes wrong, I can easily just drive to the installer and get it fixed. With DDM, that seemed like a bit of a problem (restocking fees, ordering, etc).

But I might go with what you mentioned. Go with a Volt kit and pickup some Garax 5000K or 6000K. Not really into the "blue tint", I'd want PURE white to light up my road!
If you don't have HID, you won't be able to get the Garax bulbs. As far as I know, Garax only makes replacement bulbs, so you'd need a stock HID set up already to use them.
Old 03-28-12, 01:21 AM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're going to go with the you get what you paid for route, get OEM since you have IS250. Otherwise, DDM is good enough. If **** breaks, get warranty and replace it. Only issue is the hassle every 2 years or so when it breaks. You're going to hear people saying how so and so kit is so good, but average lifespan of these so and so kits is about 2 years.
Old 03-28-12, 10:27 AM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To be honest with all of you, I've been taking 3 of my vehicles to Misha at HIDMasters in the last 3 years, and he's become a friend.

So far, I've taken my 2005 G35 coupe, 2005 BMW Z4, and the IS350 to him for HID installs and other maintenance items. All the lights continue to operate and Misha personally provides a warranty, in that if it breaks or fails, just bring it back and he'll work it out with you.

His father is a mechanic, and Misha is a BMW fanatic. He's been at several BMW fests and meets, is a sponsor, and he personally tracks his stripped out E36 M3. He does both body and electrical work, as well as maintenance (I've taken my cars in for oil changes before).

HIDMasters is definitely trust worthy and the price for product and installation is absolutely fair. Say what you like about the quality of the product, but the guy and his shop is top-notch.
Old 03-28-12, 10:58 AM
g2bme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Uda880
To be honest with all of you, I've been taking 3 of my vehicles to Misha at HIDMasters in the last 3 years, and he's become a friend.

So far, I've taken my 2005 G35 coupe, 2005 BMW Z4, and the IS350 to him for HID installs and other maintenance items. All the lights continue to operate and Misha personally provides a warranty, in that if it breaks or fails, just bring it back and he'll work it out with you.

His father is a mechanic, and Misha is a BMW fanatic. He's been at several BMW fests and meets, is a sponsor, and he personally tracks his stripped out E36 M3. He does both body and electrical work, as well as maintenance (I've taken my cars in for oil changes before).

HIDMasters is definitely trust worthy and the price for product and installation is absolutely fair. Say what you like about the quality of the product, but the guy and his shop is top-notch.
Thanks for the headsup. Are you on the yelp page posting that pic of the G35 with new HID's? lol I sent in a "contact me" last week and have yet to get a reply. I'm torn between them and DDM. I was planning on calling today to ask some questions about installation on a Lexus, whether he drills a hole or not on the dust cover and if there is a grommet to the HID kit.

Thanks everyone for their input, I'll probably check out HIDMasters this weekend and see whatsup...pass by and what not.
Old 03-28-12, 12:03 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

He's installed HIDs on a plethora of ISx50's, very experienced on them. Installed mine in 20 minutes. Just make sure he uses better clips to hang the ballasts.

Originally Posted by g2bme
Thanks for the headsup. Are you on the yelp page posting that pic of the G35 with new HID's? lol I sent in a "contact me" last week and have yet to get a reply. I'm torn between them and DDM. I was planning on calling today to ask some questions about installation on a Lexus, whether he drills a hole or not on the dust cover and if there is a grommet to the HID kit.

Thanks everyone for their input, I'll probably check out HIDMasters this weekend and see whatsup...pass by and what not.

Quick Reply: HIDMasters Huntington Beach