CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-15, 01:56 PM
Brokenis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding Ticket

Hello everyone. Would like some advice from the CL community.

Got a speeding ticket about a week ago on the 10 East, 8:21 p.m, in West Covina. Highway Patrol said I was going 85, written 80+ on the ticket.

I told him I believe I was going 65, stayed with my story.

I was also written up for no front plates.

I want to fight the speeding ticket if possible, should I contest in court or write a letter of declaration for the non correctable violation?

Which ever route I go, am I still allowed to pay first, and postpone the day to whatever It is I decide on? How does it work in the website?
Old 06-11-15, 02:02 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...claration.html

postpone/delay it as long as possible, then submit LBWD. The keyword is "delay", most likely the cops will not remember which one are you.
Old 06-12-15, 04:49 PM
Brokenis
Driver

Thank you masboy. Do I still need to pay first in order to postpone?
Old 06-12-15, 07:24 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brokenis
I believe so. U have to pay it first nonetheless. They will refund ur check if u win.

Good luck
Old 06-14-15, 04:10 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

You don't have to pay anything. Postpone until you go to the court and fight for your ticket.
If you win, simply walk out of court room like a king.
If you lost, go to collection and pay for it.

ONCE AGAIN, no need to pay for it first!!! If you don't have enough money to pay off, you could always set up payment plant.
Old 06-26-15, 04:13 PM
Brokenis
Driver

Thank you.
Old 06-26-15, 04:34 PM
Brokenis
Driver

Anyone have any tips in regards to writing a written of declaration, or trial in court?
Old 06-26-15, 07:04 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by whitebeast
You don't have to pay anything. Postpone until you go to the court and fight for your ticket.
If you win, simply walk out of court room like a king.
If you lost, go to collection and pay for it.

ONCE AGAIN, no need to pay for it first!!! If you don't have enough money to pay off, you could always set up payment plant.
This is incorrect. You will be getting a letter with a bail amount and due date. You have to pay this by the due date regardless of whether you contest the ticket. I got a ticket for crossing into the carpool lane last December. I did so to avoid a collision, but the officer did not believe that. Apparently, they get that one a lot. Anyway, the bail was $480 and I had to pay with on or before a date in February. I did a trial by written declaration, which I lost. I could have also contested it by appearing in court after that, but I elected not to because I found out the CHP officer in question shows up in court.

You can google the officer's name and you should find a page that shows their annual compensation. In my case, the guy made a lot of money in OT and they get paid OT to show up in court. It was an expensive lesson, but mine was not a moving violation because I didn't cross over double yellow lines to enter/exit the carpool lane.

I recommend trial by written declaration and then extending and delaying in your case. It is BS that the bail amount is due before you can even contest the citation, but that's California for you.
Old 06-26-15, 07:06 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Anyone have any tips in regards to writing a written of declaration, or trial in court?
You do not have to choose one or the other. Even if you lose the written declaration, you still have a right to fight it in court and the outcome of the trial by written declaration does not affect the court case.
Old 06-26-15, 07:20 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by link13
This is incorrect. You will be getting a letter with a bail amount and due date. You have to pay this by the due date regardless of whether you contest the ticket. I got a ticket for crossing into the carpool lane last December. I did so to avoid a collision, but the officer did not believe that. Apparently, they get that one a lot. Anyway, the bail was $480 and I had to pay with on or before a date in February. I did a trial by written declaration, which I lost. I could have also contested it by appearing in court after that, but I elected not to because I found out the CHP officer in question shows up in court.

You can google the officer's name and you should find a page that shows their annual compensation. In my case, the guy made a lot of money in OT and they get paid OT to show up in court. It was an expensive lesson, but mine was not a moving violation because I didn't cross over double yellow lines to enter/exit the carpool lane.

I recommend trial by written declaration and then extending and delaying in your case. It is BS that the bail amount is due before you can even contest the citation, but that's California for you.
It turns out I am wrong and whitebeast is right. I am leaving the evidence of my faulty credibility. Here's an article that proves whitebeast is correct.

http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...ry.html#page=1